Jet crash oward

Started by Ross, October 20, 2014, 01:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

I read about it in Germany in the Independence, Mo Examiner, which I subscribed to during the three years I was over there. It took awhile before I was able to get to Howard and talk to my uncle the barber about it.

The late Johnnie Miller of Howard was my uncle on my mother's side. He crashed a light plane in Elk County flying out of the Elk County airport in the early to mid-fifties. He was not badly hurt.

He had fought in WWII and was called up again and was part of the invasion of North Korea when the Chinese hordes attacked.

I guess he thought two wars was not enough danger. However, after the flying accident, he did not fly again but turned to motor cycling for several years.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

jarhead

I stand corrected on where that F-16 crashed in 89. Talked to a Busby resident yesterday and she said it crashed on C. Thomas's place, not B. Thomas's place like I had been told. So it was several miles north of Busby. I bet it was ol Sarge who gave me that false info !!!

Janet Harrington

Jarhead, you are correct that it was on Charlie Thomas' place in 1989. Pilot ejected and was safe.  Live ammo on that plane, too. I don't remember if we had much of a pasture fire in 1989, but we certainly didn't stay in the area at all. I didn't even go to the crash site. I stayed up on the road at the gate until the AF got there. The pilot of the 1989 crash was taken to Flint Oak and an AF helicopter landed there to transport him back to McConnell. Those were the days. LOL

Things just happen. Prayers for all the military, the emergency medical workers, and the law enforcement officers that are working with this crash.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk