West Elk USD - 282 Bond Issue

Voting YES
3 (37.5%)
Voting NO
5 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: June 07, 2014, 09:02:10 AM

Diane Amberg

Oh, boo-hoo. You do lie! Go back and read your #55, with a misspelling, where you state you did move my post so nobody would miss it.  But who cares, according to you nobody reads what I write anyway, so why does it matter to you? Ya get points toward a fudge monkey? :angel:
Now who needs the iron underwear? Touchy about your teenager? Why? HA! Suck it up! As far as being allowed to post, I sure do have that privilege and you can't change it. There are a number who post who do not live there, some who still pay taxes and some who don't.
You do hit me up with all kinds of things that have nothing to do with anything.Why? People are not impressed at your attempts to hassle me. Some have left because they got sick of you doing that to others.  We all have the right to voice our opinions without having verbal boiling water thrown at us. Besides, my family paid A LOT in Elk County taxes generations before you were born and right on to when we sold the last of the property and wells a few years ago.. so what? How much money people have spent seems to be very important to you...reverse snobbery? Jealous? It means nothing, except that I still care about the county and its people, and do support some its projects when I can... working on three right now.
Nothing you say to me, as nasty and rude as you can be, will ever change that. I'd think you would have understood that by now. Your nasty ways, especially talking behind people's backs, does not impress the good folk out there. Or are you trying to earn your self imposed rude, uneducated hick reputation? People shouldn't have to " forgive" your insults and put downs to get to your good ideas, and there are some.Why bury them in manure? Isn't that beneath you?
The only threads I usually comment on now are education oriented, unless you try to start up something again to keep your blood from clotting.

Ross

Quote from: Diane Amberg on May 28, 2014, 12:07:13 PM
Oh, boo-hoo. You do lie! Go back and read your #55, with a misspelling, where you state you did move my post so nobody would miss it.  But who cares, according to you nobody reads what I write anyway, so why does it matter to you? Ya get points toward a fudge monkey? :angel:

I misstated what I meant. Because, I can not move your post, I can only quote or copy and past your post.

Your comprehension is slipping deeper and deeper. You original post is still right where you put it. I quoted and copied and pasted it, that's all. I do not have the ability to move it or delete it.

Now who needs the iron underwear? Touchy about your teenager? Why? HA! Suck it up! As far as being allowed to post, I sure do have that privilege and you can't change it. There are a number who post who do not live there, some who still pay taxes and some who don't.

When someone of your ilk attempts to use any child as a weapon, yes, I find it a terrible stunt. A shameful action and I will call any one on such behavior.

You do hit me up with all kinds of things that have nothing to do with anything.Why? People are not impressed at your attempts to hassle me. Some have left because they got sick of you doing that to others.  We all have the right to voice our opinions without having verbal boiling water thrown at us. Besides, my family paid A LOT in Elk County taxes generations before you were born and right on to when we sold the last of the property and wells a few years ago.. so what? How much money people have spent seems to be very important to you...reverse snobbery? Jealous? It means nothing, except that I still care about the county and its people, and do support some its projects when I can... working on three right now.

You spout off about a poster in such a nasty fashion and call it humor and then try to drag children into a conversation as a tool to do harm, and I am harassing you. No my dear, I was only correcting bad behavior. So you rattle on like a scolded child!

First you make this insulting and nasty remark and call it a joke:
Quote from: Diane Amberg on May 26, 2014, 10:42:00 AM
AH yes....room temperature IQ speaks again.       
And then follow it up with this:
Quote from: Diane Amberg on May 26, 2014, 10:42:00 AM
And you don't even live and vote in ELK COUNTY? WHOOOOO!  Why in the world would anyone who is concerned about Elk County politics listen to you? That bond issue won't affect you one way or another! At least I support Elk County projects when I can.

And you call me nasty and rude, take a close look in the mirror, dear.     

Nothing you say to me, as nasty and rude as you can be, will ever change that. I'd think you would have understood that by now. Your nasty ways, especially talking behind people's backs, does not impress the good folk out there. Or are you trying to earn your self imposed rude, uneducated hick reputation? People shouldn't have to " forgive" your insults and put downs to get to your good ideas, and there are some.Why bury them in manure? Isn't that beneath you?
The only threads I usually comment on now are education oriented, unless you try to start up something again to keep your blood from clotting.

You poor dear, you are so confused. I am not talking behind anyone's back, and I am speaking directly to you. No, I am not a back stabber, and I have been extremely polite in dealing with your attitude. You fail to provide anything of value to the subject of the West Elk Bond Issue.

You still haven't told us which Board Members are Konnected, so I must assume you don't know.

Who ever commissioned you to address the Bond Issue surely regrets it, now.

And then you fabricate working on three projects to feel important! Poor, poor dear!

But, NONE of that has anything to do with today's West Elk School Bond issue.

But it sure provides a form of entertainment. It is such a pleasure communicating with you.

That entertainment provides me an opportunity to remind folks to keep their eyes open for that special envelope from the County Court house for the West Elk Bond Ballot.

Be SMART, be SENSIBLE, be FRUGAL, re-open the Moline Grade School and save millions and problems solved.

Be SMART, Be SENSIBLE, Be FRUGAL,   Just say," NO " [/quote]

An economist says. Just as every action is motivated by an underlying incentive, every decision has a related consequence. 
These people will complain about the conduct and spending of the Federal Government, and then they do the same thing on the local level!

Just a reminder of information you can download to your computer about West Elk USD282 and Elk County information.
Check out the facts. Aren't they wasting enough money that should be used for a better education of the children in the class room?

USD 282 Documents
https://app.box.com/s/7nbnimqqr6b2tkzudw6f

Documents Pertaining To The Survey
https://app.box.com/s/h260n5ybv7ttr2tl62jx

Piper Jafrey Financial
https://app.box.com/s/27jkb8ilpa55v0dhb3fw

Elk County Govt
https://app.box.com/s/dv5frjad5ddra6i3fn51[/center]

center]Be SMART, be SENSIBLE, be FRUGAL, re-open the Moline Grade School and save millions and problems solved.[/center]

Be SMART, Be SENSIBLE, Be FRUGAL,   Just say," NO "

Mom70x7

Quote from: Mom70x7 on May 21, 2014, 05:05:22 PM
From the Friday, May 16, 2014 Independence Daily Reporter, by Greg Lower, Staff Writer

Rumors and misunderstandings have complicated a bond election to construct elementary classrooms at West Elk School, the superintendent said.

On May 27, Elk County officials will send out a mail ballot for a $4 million bond election by the West Elk school district. The ballots, due back by noon June 17, will decide classroom and elementary school gym additions.

West Elk Superintendent Bert Moore said the current school building, built in the 1980s for seventh through 12th grades, has a capacity of 360 students, not 600 as some rumors claim. At the time, elementary students attended schools in Moline in Elk County and Severy in Greenwood County.

In 2009, voters turned down a proposal to construct an elementary school in Howard, possibly in an effort to keep the elementary schools open, but they were closed. This year, some of the elementary students attend classes in the main West Elk building, but most are in four modular buildings with two classrooms each. The campus has a headcount of approximately 340, with some 160 pre-kindergarten through sixth grade and 150 seventh grade through high school seniors.

. . . .

Besides constructing eight elementary classrooms, totaling 13,880 square feet, the proposal would build a 11,558-square foot elementary physical education classroom north of the existing high school gym annex, which would be tied together with the main building for security.

Security is an area of concern, Moore said, after mass shootings including at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut.

"Right now, we have doors everywhere," Moore said, and people go in and out several times every day. "I have parents very concerned their kids are targets."

. . . .

David Evans

One item that I have not seen fully discussed at any of the board meetings I attended was the fact that if any of these new additions are attached to the school, the entire school must be brought up to current American with Disabilities Act.  This may not sound like much but just imagine doors that must be widened, bathrooms that must have special stalls in place, braille placed by doors and offices, and other items we can't even imagine.  No money has been allocated to address any of these issues.

As I said in my earlier post, The figure of $4,000,000.00 was basically pulled out of the air.  Although we have already spent close to $30,000 on an architect we still have no firm plans for materials, no construction firm that has put in a bid, and no answers on how this will be built if the money raised by the bond issue isn't enough.

We could have had a new roof and new air conditioners installed this year if the board would have followed through on the motion to accept a bid that was presented earlier.  The contractor for the air conditioners said that the efficiency of the new units would pay for themselves in 5-7 years.  We have the money to do this in the capital improvement fund, but now we will have to wait until 2015 at the earliest to complete this project.  Why?  Because the bids given have an expiration date and that date is gone.  If the bond fails, the board will have to decide what to do now.  Even if they put out for new bids it will probably be too late in the summer to start this project.  I can't imagine roofers and installers working with classes going on. 

Do your own due diligence and check with the school and see how many leaks we have had so far this year.  The last time I heard there were four.  I don't even remember four storms this year severe enough to account for these leaks.

Yes, some classes may be crowded now, but what can we do to ease the crowding?  How about looking into cutting some of our programs.  Is there really a need for 2 years of preschool?  The data I have seen shows a slight improvement in the first year or so of regular school but after that there is no advantage.  Remember, if you can, a few years ago when the was a push to help start a daycare center in our area.  What daycare can operate on dwindling numbers of children especially when the school is basically offering free daycare. 

"It's for the children" is a phrase I hear too often today.  Sports are a necessary part of any education program.  But do we really need to have electronic scoreboards on every field, press boxes, or underground sprinkler systems.  Our board seems to think we do.  Oh, by the way, we already have all of the above except the football field does not yet have the sprinkler system.  When the contract was let to add dirt to the football field, there were no specifications on the type of soil to be used.  When the contractor brought in the material to be used an uproar ensued.  Rocks the size of basketballs, huge roots, and the composition was mainly clay.  The next board meeting it was moved to have this material removed.  However, there now isn't time to replace and grade the field and get grass started so we will just try to get grass growing in time for football season.

These are some of the reasons that I will be voting against the bond issue.  I don't trust some of the decisions that have been made by this board.  Please don't get me wrong.  Being a board member is probably one of the most thankless jobs you can try to get.  My wife was happy when I was defeated in my attempt to get this great job.  But, as you know, if you have a few strong willed individuals they can sometimes, without even trying, influence the decisions of the board. 

Please vote.  It's about the only thing we have left.  But do remember, we have options other than throwing money at a problem we have now but may not in the future.

Thank you

Ross

The post about the article in the Independence Daily Reporter is nothing more than a sales pitch!
That is why politicians uses newspapers to advertise. They don't have to document anything and they don't have to talk to anyone. They can simply type up a news release and get it printed. Which is really less than an editorial and more an advertisement. Do you believe all the advertisements you see on TV or read in magazines and newspapers?   

I repeat, my parents and their parents always said, believe none of what you read and only half of what you see! That has even become more important since the internet. Why? Photoshop and other software that's why. Remember the guy walking his dog and the dog is as big as a cow or horse?

Perhaps we should ask ourselves, why the officials don't provide documentation:

1.   Where is the proof ?
2.   Where is the documentation?
3.   There is none - why?

Following was my response to
Quote from: Mom70x7 on May 29, 2014, 07:09:20 AM
Repost quoting herself above:

Quote from: ROSS on May 21, 2014, 08:23:50 PM
Statements in Red are what was posted from the previous post.
My response and opinions are in BLUE.

Parts of what Mom70x7 posted.

"West Elk Superintendent Bert Moore said the current school building, built in the 1980s for seventh through 12th grades, has a capacity of 360 students, not 600 as some rumors claim."

The rumors are not rumors. I quoted Mr. Moore from the School Board Meeting, during open session of the meeting and he said the school was built to handle 600 children. So who is he lying to, the School Board or Independence Reporter?

But the story printed in the Independence Daily Reporter is not supported by any documentation

I have to ask why, did he go to the Independence Daily Reporter instead of the local paper, The Prairie Star, with this story?

In 2009, voters turned down a proposal to construct an elementary school in Howard, possibly in an effort to keep the elementary schools open, but they were closed.

They were closed against the wishes of the taxpayers. They were closed to set up this situation, which is not fairing well, is it? The School Board simply wrote off the people that voted, ignored the majority of the taxpayers.  They were to busy having their little picnic and laughing to discuss amongst themselves the consequences of their actions.  They acted just like the Obama Administration. To me it came across as blatantly clear to me it was all about Howard. With 75% of the district voting no and 75oward voting yes. That is exactly what I mean, it's about Howard.

They told the state they saved $150,000 and it has cost the taxpayer a great deal more. A great deal more is $500,000 for 4 double class rooms. They do not need to replace 8 class rooms that are that are that  expansive That real reason is to acquire a 2nd gymnasium. They have openly showed that what they want is professional sports arena. All you have to do is read the School Board Minutes to figure that out and use a little critical thinking.

An economist says. Just as every action is motivated by an underlying incentive, every decision has a related consequence.  What is the underlying incentive.

These people will complain about the conduct and spending of the Federal Government, then they do the same thing on the local level!

The campus has a headcount of approximately 340, with some 160 pre-kindergarten through sixth grade and 150 seventh grade through high school seniors.

#1. We have been experiencing a decline in our enrollment for 12 of the last 15 years resulting in a loss of nearly 200 students since the 1992-93 school year. West Elk USD #282 is the largest employer in Elk County.

#2. Consolidate the elementary programs to one campus - @$128,000.

#1. & #2. Were copied and pasted from KSDE at http://www.usakansas.org/content/1/West_Elk_USD_-_Superintendent_Bert_Moore.pdf
You won't find the $500,000 for portable buildings to be able to close the two grade school buildings.

My elders always said, "Believe none of what you read and only half of what you see." Where is the state documentation?  Some people will believe anything, even if there is no proof.

Security is an area of concern, Moore said, after mass shootings including at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut.

This is simply a fear factor generated to accomplishing getting the ballot passed. If they had any real  concerns they would close all the doors but one and have a person assigned at that door. They could use School Board Meetings to discuss what can do now with what they have on hand.

When the Moline Grade School was open they had a door bell at the front door and a camera connected to a monitor at the front office.  However many times I walked up to the door and found it open. No one was really concerned.

You see all the incidents like Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut happen in very large metropolitan area's. Do you see a metropolis in Elk County. The School Board has taken no actions, and I don't believe anyone even pays attention to bullying until it gets way out of hand. Which shows that simply writing a policy does nothing. Students have even complained when they report abuse nothing gets done.

Elementary, middle school and high school students use the same detached gym, which they reach through a covered walkway.

Isn't this what the School Boards actions have brought about! And isn't because the School Board went against the voters and taxpayers wishes?

One reason to put the issue on a ballot in June came from debate in the Kansas Legislature to end state support for bonds and interest on new facilities. Moore also said they were concerned the district would lose state funds for enrollment weighting with new facilities. Those proposals did not pass the last legislative session.

None of this has anything to do with the size of the building.
Enrollment weighting has to do with the number of students and our population continues to decline. FTE enrollment for budget purposes (higher of line 1, 2, or 3)(Goes to page 1, line 1 if no military provision; see Table IV.)
=315.0   from the USD Form 150
Taken from
2013-2014
ESTIMATED LEGAL MAXIMUM GENERAL FUND BUDGET at http://www.ksde.org/Portals/0/School%20Finance/budget/Budget_at_a_Glance/13-14_Summary/F150-282-2014.pdf

But an issue that did pass  help the West Elk proposal. House Bill 2506, passed as a result of court-ordered increase in education funding, wil[color] increase state aid and offset some local taxes. Moore said the bond proposal seeks a levy of 10.8 mils, but the reduction in local taxes will be 4.8 mills, resulting in a 6-mill increase for school district taxpayers.

How come in the first sentence of the paragraph just above this paragraph we have the disclaimer,"bcould". then we have the more positive (it is not my spelling error wil[color]?  This definitely points out he is unsure of what he is saying. Why do you suppose that is, I'll tell you, it's because there is no money from it yet! It might be subject to change. Also, according to KSN 3 the state is in financial trouble. If we are fortunate to receive any money from the state aren't we the taxpayers entitled a tax break after all the years of wasteful spending by the School Board Elites?[/color][/b]

Todays Prairie Star newspaper says in big bold letters, "Bottom line on West Elk USD 282 bonds:
equivalent increase will be around 4.8 mills."

But folks up above and I quote , "Moore said the bond proposal seeks a levy of 10.8 mils".

He use's creative arithmetic to come up with 4.8 mils. You see we should get a reduction in property taxes which should be the difference between the two numbers. Or a 6.0 mil reduction in property taxes.

Oh and please be sure to read the letter to the editor from Wanda Mills, a terrific letter in my opinion.

The real bottom line is that we do not need and I emphasis need another gymnasium or eight class rooms or another office. When is enough, enough? When they have the School District in financial trouble like the state and the nation? Would that be enough?

The security that West Elk USD 282 needs is security from the School Board and the School Superintendent!
It's all just my opinion through out this post. Take it or leave it, your choice. But get that ballot filled out and mailed is as soon as possible. Gods speed and good night my friends.

Be SMART, be SENSIBLE, be FRUGAL, re-open the Moline Grade School and save millions and all problems solved.

Be SMART, Be SENSIBLE, Be FRUGAL,   Just say," NO "

Only you can decide for yourself - talk without documentation is cheap and easy!
And that goes for my view point and opinions as well!

Please get your ballot for the School Bond Issue filled out and mailed in ASAP to avoid losing it!
I will because if I leave it laying around it would most likely end up under the couch.
Thanks to each and everyone that votes!

Diane Amberg

Ross.You know perfectly well nobody expects me to suggest anything one way or another about your bond issue. My concern is that you shut off other people's forum tap by being so rude to them, when ideas differ or your  "facts'' are questioned. You caused my post to show up in a different thread. I don't care how slippery you get with labels on how it got there..you did it and I don't like it! I am trying not to post on most threads, just the ones that deal with education. You appear to want to scare off other people by antagonizing them so you will have these threads all to yourself. Not everyone is up to your bile and rudeness.It takes more than one person to have a conversation or debate.
By the way, West Elk has 33 graduating seniors with an amazing number of scholarships and prizes, mostly for post high school education. Congratulations to them all.

You call me a liar about helping with three Elk County projects? Why?  What's it to you?   I still care, so I help when I can.
You keep posting that West Elk was built to hold 600, yet nobody but you seems to have heard Mr. Moore, or whomever it was say that.  Are you sure you didn't mishear what was said? Where are the others who heard it? It was at a public meeting, right? Where is your documentation? ;D ;D ;D ;D
Hang in there Ross, the issue will pass or it won't. What in the world will you do if it passes?

Ross

Quote from: Diane Amberg on May 29, 2014, 08:41:38 AM
Ross.You know perfectly well nobody expects me to suggest anything one way or another about your bond issue. My concern is that you shut off other people's forum tap by being so rude to them, when ideas differ or your  "facts'' are questioned. You caused my post to show up in a different thread. I don't care how slippery you get with labels on how it got there..you did it and I don't like it! I am trying not to post on most threads, just the ones that deal with education.

Slippery really! Who was jumping around in a slippery way from thread to thread trying to confuse matters? So you don't like it, well that's just fine with me.

Your concern is what? From way up there in Delaware?
Your concern is that the adults of Elk County can not speak for themselves. Wow what a put down for the Elk County citizenship.

As I said before, you were called on your rudeness way before I came on the forum. I tried to be nice to you and you just continued to be rude. I even defended you, when I first came on the forum, to no avail. I tried and I failed. I'm so sorry.

You appear to want to scare off other people by antagonizing them so you will have these threads all to yourself. Not everyone is up to your bile and rudeness.It takes more than one person to have a conversation or debate.

You are entitled to your opinion for what it's worth, just as I'm entitled to my opinion for what it's worth! 

As far as rudeness, I do believe a number of people had trouble with your rudeness way before I came onto the forum. So sorry for you!

By the way, West Elk has 33 graduating seniors with an amazing number of scholarships and prizes, mostly for post high school education. Congratulations to them all.

Oh by all means, me too! See we can agree on somethings.

You call me a liar about helping with three Elk County projects? Why?  What's it to you?   I still care, so I help when I can.

You claim lots of thing I don't believe, sorry about that.
You claim 3 projects and fail to mention what even one of those projects are, so yeah, its hard to believe.

Is perhaps working confusion on this Ballot Issue one of those projects? Just asking?
Are they super secret projects that require a top secret clearance? Yes, I'm funning you! 

You keep posting that West Elk was built to hold 600, yet nobody but you seems to have heard Mr. Moore, or whomever it was say that.  Are you sure you didn't mishear what was said? Where are the others who heard it? It was at a public meeting, right? Where is your documentation? ;D ;D ;D ;D

You mean, you weren't there at the meeting, oh my gosh!
Do you have documentation to the contrary? I didn't think so and no one else has documentation to the contrary.

I'm quite certain of what I heard and I am aware of my hearing disability much more than you are. And I have made it quite clear to everyone. So don't try to use my hearing disability as a weapon. That is just shameful.

Hang in there Ross, the issue will pass or it won't.

Oh, I think we all realize that. And some people in Howard have already received their ballots this morning.

What in the world will you do if it passes?

I will continue to live right here on my little acreage I call home, here in Elk County!
And you, what will you do? Continue to live in Delaware, huh!

It's a great day in Elk County, Kansas, don't you wish you were here?

Ross

Just to let you know. I just received my Ballot !

So it appears the Elk County Election Officer and the USPS are both dong an excellent job of delivering.

I've filled mine out and it is ready to return tomorrow.

No, it's secret Diane, I ain't telling you how I voted. LOL

I'm sorry Diane, I'm a smart ass!

Diane Amberg

Ok then, so who are the others who heard what Mr. Moore said? You have made such a huge issue out of how many kids West Elk was built to hold, it would be nice to know for sure. You surely weren't alone at that meeting.
Ross, I have not suggested that people vote one way or another. It would be nice if you were not the only source of information as some people don't trust your facts, but I'm sure they have other ways of deciding. You also have not answered the questions put to you on how much it would really cost to reopen Moline. Do you have any figures or not? There are some who want to know if that is really a viable option or are you just wishing?
Aw, Ross has hearing loss...how brave of you to bring that up...it wasn't me. People with perfect hearing mishear things all the time, I know I do. Mine is no longer perfect either. Have you ever asked  Mr. Moore to repeat what he said to clarify it?...or are you just gathering ammunition?
As far as things you "have said before,"  Yup, ya get a bulldog grip on misinformation and repeat it forever.   Stir that pot Ross.  You all can't even seem to get together on what the tax raise would be if the issue passed. If that wasn't so sad it would be funny. Even the winners will end up being losers I'm afraid.
The projects I'm helping with have nothing to so with the bond issue. I'm not saying what or I'll be accused of bragging. I'm just one of a number working on them.They benefit lots of people, and  not just children.

sixdogsmom

Okay, I just posted this and something happened to my post. I too got my ballot today. Enclosed is an information sheet that shows the Mill levy rise that this project will cost taxpayers. The mill levy will rise 14.5 mills, not the 4 mills as reported by Wilma. Hold it! if the state kicks in then the mill levy would rise 10.85 mills. And that is not guaranteed either. So my vote will be NO!!! You gotta be kidding!  ??? ??? ???
Edie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk