Bought and Paid for

Started by Anmar, February 18, 2014, 11:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anmar

So, reading the thread about this whole newspaper thing.  And trying to keep up with the Elk Konnected mess, it seems like there are a number of people who have some issue with private "NGO's" attempting to exert undue influence on politicians. 

My question is this:  Why are you stopping at your county commissioners?  This sort of undue influence has been going on for a long long time, especially at the national level.  About the time I stopped posting here, Elk County helped elect Mike Pompeo.  He was in a crowded field of conservatives, but Pompeo was the big business candidate and raised the most money.

Pompeo is a Californian who's mother is from Kansas, went to Harvard Law, served in the military, and then joined a Kansas think tank.  Hopefully we all know what think tanks are.

Half of Pompeo's money comes from rich people.  The other half comes from big business and PACs.  Almost all of his campaign funds comes from outside the district. 

Will you hold your congressman to the same standard you hold your county government?

http://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/summary.php?cid=N00030744
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

Patriot

If one were to judge an elected official's politics or ideology based only on the source of their campaign funding, you might be on to something.  I prefer to base my evaluation on the politician's stated views about the Constitution, current issues, the bills they initiate/support and ultimately their voting record in office.  Unfortunately, national politics can be an expensive undertaking.  I surely don't make judgements about Obama or members of his political bent on the amount of money they receive from various sources with the caveat that such contributions are lawful.

If a contributor to any candidate has money, so be it.  While the interests of funding sources may give a picture about the candidate's ideals, what the candidate says & what they do in office are much better measures, IMO.

Just curious, what are the problems with think tanks?  Some think wisely & others think foolishly.  I don't think they are inherently good or bad.

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Ross

Anmar my immediate thoughts are, if we can't clean up our local act, concerning ethics, how can we work on the state or country levels.

I feel, if we get local cruising right on ethics, then with that, we could go for state levels.

One step at a time would be easiest in my opinion.

Building un-necessary wings on to a school building at millions of taxpayers dollars for what I consider to be only to acquire another gymnasium for sports reasons is foolishness. I believe fully  that is the main goal.

This kind of action will continue as long as there is undue influence or pressure on elected officials or elected officials belong to cliques that use these types of technics.

Just my  personal opinion.

Anmar

Quote from: Patriot on February 18, 2014, 12:56:53 PM
If one were to judge an elected official's politics or ideology based only on the source of their campaign funding, you might be on to something.  I prefer to base my evaluation on the politician's stated views about the Constitution, current issues, the bills they initiate/support and ultimately their voting record in office.  Unfortunately, national politics can be an expensive undertaking.  I surely don't make judgements about Obama or members of his political bent on the amount of money they receive from various sources with the caveat that such contributions are lawful.

If a contributor to any candidate has money, so be it.  While the interests of funding sources may give a picture about the candidate's ideals, what the candidate says & what they do in office are much better measures, IMO.

Just curious, what are the problems with think tanks?  Some think wisely & others think foolishly.  I don't think they are inherently good or bad.

So it doesn't matter if he's bought by corporations as long as you like what he's saying?
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

Bullwinkle

I would be more concerned about favors given to those providing money to get him in office, after he is in. Personally, my first impression of him was not good. My instinct said, shyster. Do you have anything about his performance in office, pro or con?

Wilma

My daughter has an opinion, but I don't repeat those words.

Patriot

Quote from: Anmar on February 19, 2014, 12:13:28 AM
So it doesn't matter if he's bought by corporations as long as you like what he's saying?

Don't put words on my paper.  I referred to his policy actions and voting record, not just 'what he says'.  I agree with Bullwinkle... show me the influence.  The process of buying into all the rhetoric of the latest 'hot' politician seems to be heavily used by Fabian Progressives.  Like those 30 - 40% who still support Obama.

As for Pompeo being 'bought' by corporations, exclusive of the sources of his campaign funds, show me his votes/activities/paybacks that demonstrate he has been 'bought'.

Finally, I don't subscribe to the notion that all corporations are inherently bad.  Heck, I own two and and have a interest in several.  Should corporations directly participate in the election process, I would prefer not.  But, Capitalism isn't the evil that the followers of Marx & Lenin would have us believe.

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk