Disgraceful

Started by Patriot, February 14, 2014, 05:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patriot

Yep, our public education system is in fine shape.  Not!

1 in 4 Americans unaware that Earth circles Sun
AFP 2/14/2014 4:26:04 PM

Americans are enthusiastic about the promise of science but lack basic knowledge of it, with one in four unaware that the Earth revolves around the Sun, said a poll out Friday.

The survey included more than 2,200 people in the United States and was conducted by the National Science Foundation.

Ten questions about physical and biological science were on the quiz, and the average score -- 6.5 correct -- was barely a passing grade.

Story:  http://www.breitbart.com/system/wire/6e49b254-fc12-4176-8ab6-c6146611c372

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

nykkylsdymes

But I bet they know what the Kardashians and what the highest score is in Candy Crush. Or what Miley Circus has done lately. 
Integrity is doing what is right when no one else is watching.

Diane Amberg

Unfortunately, you are right. Many could care less about so much because they don't see the need for it and figure if they do, they'll just look it up on Google or some such. That they are very good at doing! They could care less about in depth learning  that sticks permanently and they don't understand the connection between their learning and grades.  Of course many also do just fine. They are the ones whose parents really get it and keep on their kids relentlessly, no matter how much the kid complains.
Those people who were questioned, if they were even in this country in elementary school, or weren't mentally challenged in some way, had the solar system unit in third grade just like all of you did....had a solar system hanging from the classroom ceiling. Can you still list all the planets in order from the sun without looking them up? Can you still recite what planets have how many moons? Or name them in order from smallest to largest? How about the coldest to the hottest? How many rings does Neptune have?  :angel:

Warph

Speaking about disgraceful... it seems that the feds have committed over $200 million to teaching the Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF) to read, and it's not working.  Why on earth would anyone expect we could teach them to read when we can't even teach our own kids to read.

In addition, many of the soldiers who have been educated at U.S. taxpayer expense are no longer in the Afghan Army.  The ANSF has a remarkably high attrition rate, between 30 and 50 percent a year.  As of Feb. 2013, roughly more than half of the ANSF was still illiterate, according to some of the officials in charge of the literacy training.

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Diane Amberg

Well, I guess people really don't read what I write .I put a zinger in my last post expecting to have some fun with it, but no one bit. It's Saturn that has the rings, not Neptune.That's why many folks don't know the earth travels aound the sun. Nobody cares! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

W. Gray

Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune all have rings.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

larryJ

You forgot Jupiter.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

W. Gray

A theory is that Pluto has rings also and a space craft will fly by in 2015 to confirm the theory.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Diane Amberg

Cool! You got them all.(yes, I really knew) Which has the most moons? I cheated and looked them up to be sure I hadn't forgotten any myself.
Of course the whole planet number thing changed when they changed Pluto's designation. I think I can still recite them in order without peeking. Your prizes will arrive in mid May...a big box of sunshine and warm weather.Thanks for having fun with me. Waldo, thanks for the new information on Pluto's rings. I had missed that.

Warph

You are all wrong... there is one more planet with a ring.  It is located 10 light years beyond the Planet( if it is a planet)

It is a cold barren, piece-of-crap planet called Obuma-noid with one solid ring:

Lets get out of here, Scotty... warp speed!

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk