Official County Newspaper

Started by W. Gray, February 12, 2014, 11:13:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

upoladeb

the employee also shredded all her work,but no one notices that.Work that the Elk county paid for her to do.Which does not bother me since it was probably trying to get some elitest or something like that to move here,we'll never know.

Ross

Quote from: upoladeb on February 17, 2014, 06:14:10 AM
the employee also shredded all her work,but no one notices that.Work that the Elk county paid for her to do.Which does not bother me since it was probably trying to get some elitest or something like that to move here,we'll never know.

It has been said She also wiped the hard drives on the computers in the Economic Development Office.

What might she have been hiding?

We will never know, right?

redcliffsw

I noticed that many small counties have an Economic Development office.

It's something that the government should never be establishing or funding.
If they want economic development, then cut the taxes more and more.
You won't hear any of that from your local communist newspaper as they prefer
more government to force you to do right as they see it. 

Ross

Quote from: redcliffsw on February 17, 2014, 07:38:07 AM
I noticed that many small counties have an Economic Development office.

It's something that the government should never be establishing or funding.
If they want economic development, then cut the taxes more and more.
You won't hear any of that from your local communist newspaper as they prefer
more government to force you to do right as they see it.

We have a small hamburger drive-in in Longton that did and does it's own economic development,
And they have excellent hamburgers and other foods. And word of mouth has helped his business I'm sure.

There are others that do the same thing by using advertising flyers or newspaper ads and even use this forum.

I don't see where it is a County responsibility to do economic development unless perhaps they got real about it. By that I mean, providing an Industrial Parking where companies could build a place to manufacture something and where they would provide good paying jobs for local people. This in turn would possibly bring people and families to Elk County.

I don't see that happening because of the attitudes about outsiders and "I was born and raised here". So there is really no need for an actual full time or part time Economic Development Employee in our County Government, IMHO. As I see it growth is not really wanted here. Only "born and raised here" is wanted here, as I see it.

Attitude is everything!

If you have an attitude as a group that only you know what is best and what is positive, in my opinion you are already showing a very strong negative attitude, showing the lack of training in Critical Thinking.  And the Only thing I see is a very Controlling attitude.

When saying work together means "only do it my way or you are being negative" there is a lot left to be desired. What a negative attitude that is, Huh?

Just like "Volunteering" being volunteering only if approved by a very small group of people, I don't think so !
I think wrong "Attitude". Another big negative, IMHO. I don't feel I need to broadcast my good deeds to anyone after I have done them.

LShortt

There are state statutes regarding legal publications.  Go to the link,  http://kspress.com/26/public-notice  and it will lead to the requirements and legal limits of costs involved.

Having been a past co-publisher (many years ago) of the newspapers in Elk and Chautauqua counties I can say from personal experience that what pays for your local weekly newspaper, and might make it profitable for the publisher, is ADVERTISING.  Legal publications are a very small contributor to the profit equation. Subscriptions, of course are important, BUT are not a money maker for a weekly publication dependent on delivery via the US mail.  The best hope is the monies collected on subscriptions will cover the cost of circulation (labor and prep for delivery to postal facility, postage costs, etc) over a years time.  Bottom line, the ads you see in the newspaper are the meat and potatoes of any publication.

Now for my disclaimer, I am not in any way supporting or not supporting the local newspaper, the local government, or the opinions of anyone posting about this or any other thread on the forum.  If you really want to know what the state requirements are for legal publications...go to the website I posted.

Diane Amberg

I got an E-subscription and love it. I'm far away, but I can still get a fresh paper at a lower cost and it's one less piece to have to be taken to the post office. I found your post very interesting. Thanks

Ross

Quote from: LShortt on February 17, 2014, 10:08:31 AM
There are state statutes regarding legal publications.  Go to the link,  http://kspress.com/26/public-notice  and it will lead to the requirements and legal limits of costs involved.

Having been a past co-publisher (many years ago) of the newspapers in Elk and Chautauqua counties I can say from personal experience that what pays for your local weekly newspaper, and might make it profitable for the publisher, is ADVERTISING.  Legal publications are a very small contributor to the profit equation. Subscriptions, of course are important, BUT are not a money maker for a weekly publication dependent on delivery via the US mail.  The best hope is the monies collected on subscriptions will cover the cost of circulation (labor and prep for delivery to postal facility, postage costs, etc) over a years time.  Bottom line, the ads you see in the newspaper are the meat and potatoes of any publication.

Now for my disclaimer, I am not in any way supporting or not supporting the local newspaper, the local government, or the opinions of anyone posting about this or any other thread on the forum.  If you really want to know what the state requirements are for legal publications...go to the website I posted.

Thank you for the post Ms. Shortt. I appreciate the link you shared with us. And I don't doubt what you asy about advertising being the meat and potatoes of any publication. However it was the editor that stated in the e-mail that he was dependent on our County Government using his newspaper.

Also, I especially appreciate your disclaimer which was excellent printed.

To myself and many others the whole situation is deplorable and very improper.

I will continue to read his newspaper to keep up with School district and County and other useful information as it becomes available. But as I and others have voiced in the past, we feel he has treated Elk County unnecessarily rude in some of his past editorials.

I sincerely hope you have a great day.

Thanks again for posting.

Anmar

Quote from: ROSS on February 17, 2014, 03:18:48 PM

To myself and many others the whole situation is deplorable and very improper.

I will continue to read his newspaper to keep up with School district and County and other useful information as it becomes available.

Here is the problem.  You've voiced your opinion, but you won't back it up with actions?  If you are willing to continue to pay money to the newspaper, knowing that you are one of the people those comments were directed to, why should the county stop using the paper?
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

Ross

Quote from: Anmar on February 17, 2014, 03:45:05 PM
Here is the problem.  You've voiced your opinion, but you won't back it up with actions?  If you are willing to continue to pay money to the newspaper, knowing that you are one of the people those comments were directed to, why should the county stop using the paper?

If the County have stopped, I might have stopped also.
I can't say for sure, because the School Board uses it as well.

I am apart of each taxing entity.

If both choose to pay them using our tax dollars after such ugliness I don't have much choice if I want to keep up with what the taxing entities are spending my money on. Do I?

Bullwinkle

I'd be willing to bet he has lost some newsstand sales as a result of his comments. Not that it means much to his bottom line, but it didn't help it either.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk