Official County Newspaper

Started by W. Gray, February 12, 2014, 11:13:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

Some of us were busy and would have preferred a synopsis from someone who supposedly knew what was going on. But no, I get the smart alecs who apparently couldn't even explain it if they had to. I should have known.

Ross

Quote from: Diane Amberg on February 16, 2014, 10:29:08 AM
Some of us were busy and would have preferred a synopsis from someone who supposedly knew what was going on. But no, I get the smart alecs who apparently couldn't even explain it if they had to. I should have known.

Apparently you would rather blame someone else for your shortcomings than to take responsibility for them.
It is still quite apparent that you have still failed to read the thread which even includes daffinitions from Merriam-Webster.

So you can cease calling others names and blaming others, accept responsibility for yourself.

Anmar

I've read two threads on this topic and I'm still not clear on whats going on.  Can someone just outline the relevant facts without all the other BS?  I want the AP version, not the foxnews/msnbc version.
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

Bullwinkle

Did you bother to listen to the e-mail. It explains it all.

Bullwinkle

Anmar, do you think it appropriate for someone taking money from the Elk county residents to call them unsociable boobs. I don't.

Ross

Quote from: Anmar on February 16, 2014, 03:59:41 PM
I've read two threads on this topic and I'm still not clear on whats going on.  Can someone just outline the relevant facts without all the other BS?  I want the AP version, not the foxnews/msnbc version.

The editor called Elk County Citizens ugly names on County Equipment.

The editor has claimed affiliation with Elk Konnected, LLC.

He was Addressing a County Employee who is and was Elk Konnected, LLC.

He also stated he talked with the top person at Elk Konnected, LLC about the issues he has.

He expressed he would do an expose' except no one would understand and that he depended on Elk County publishing legal stuff in his newspaper for the money the county pays him. Tax dollars.

You can go to https://app.box.com/s/dv5frjad5ddra6i3fn51 to listen to the reading of the e-mail.

Anmar

Thanks Ross, I'll listen to this deal and try to catch up

Anmar

I know i'm going to take some flak for this, but in California, what was done at that meeting is against the law.  You can't publish something that a person reasonably expected to keep private.  I realize that the claim is that the e-mail was sent to a county-owned phone, but that statement is a mis-characterization of how e-mail works.  E-mail is sent to an individual e-mail address.  It just happened to be accessed on a county phone.  I didn't hear the whole e-mail address, but I heard g-mail.  So unless the county owns the e-mail address, the publication of that e-mail would have violated what we call in California, the right to privacy.  I don't know of Kansas recognizes that right.

As I understand the problem, the publisher of a newspaper referred to some citizens of Elk Country as "boobs" and "unsociable idiots."  We've got a lot of those in California too.  Frankly, every county in the country has their share of boobs and unsociable idiots.  But the comment alone isn't the problem, the problem seems to be that the publisher collects money in the form of tax dollars from the citizens of elk county (including the aforementioned boobs and idiots) for a service he provides.

A motion was made to discontinue the use of this publisher's services, and if I heard correctly, that motion failed.  The reason was that this publisher has the widest distribution in Elk County, and the county government wants to reach the most people.  Sounds logical to me.

Now I know that the recipients of this name-calling are upset.  But I'm sure even those boobs and unsociable idiots have committed far worse mud-slinging.  My momma always told me that sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me.

Seems to me like the best solution is Democracy.  The council showed you the way they think.  They are going to use the newspaper with the widest publication in Elk County.  Well???  If you all are so offended, vote with your dollars and make a different newspaper the widest publication.  Then make your proposal to the council and see what happens. 

In other words, don't get mad, get even.

Ross

It was a County e-mail address Anmar.

Anmar

The county uses g-mail?  If the country created the e-mail address, then that's a different story as to the legality.  I still stand by the rest of my post.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk