To the Boobs, Unsociable Idiots & CAVE people of Elk County.

Started by Patriot, January 22, 2014, 11:54:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

My my, Anmar, now they suddenly can't remember being so nasty to you? How convenient! I sure haven't forgotten how they verbally let you have it at every chance.  Talk about rude! Let's see what they do about it.

Bullwinkle

I have not let anyone "have it" except for one person in particular that refuses to address any topic without trying to prove to everyone they know it all and strays from the topic with half page posts containing a plethora of unrelated yak, yak, yak.

I guess I am a "they" since it was I who said I wasn't familiar with attacks upon him. He may have encountered written, not verbal ( impossible to have here ) altercations with others, but not me.

I have no doubt that Anmar will debate the topic without choosing sides and continually taking the opposite position, as his previous post to Ross shows in saying he agreed with Ross's point. Some of those on here will never admit to agreeing with anything he says.

For me to go back and look for any nastiness would change nothing, Anmar, I'll take your word for it.

Ross

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 18, 2014, 10:24:39 AM
       I have not let anyone "have it" except for one person in particular that refuses to address any topic without trying to prove to everyone they know it all and strays from the topic with half page posts containing a plethora of unrelated yak, yak, yak.

Bullwinkle that is just a figment of my imagination, nothing to be concerned with.

That figment used the excuse that it was busy as an excuse for not understanding the ethics involved in this thread. Or the lack of ethics in the e-mail.

I try real hard not to be nasty and ugly  but sometimes is near impossible.

I'm only human!

jprxmkt

Quote from: Anmar on February 17, 2014, 11:48:36 AM

I'm curious, what are some of the plans and proposals going around to encourage economic development?  Other than "lower taxes," do you all know how/why business move to an area?  Or what kind of environment helps start businesses? 

Regardless of what you all thought of Jennifer (please don't take this as an opportunity to bash her again) I still believe it was a very bad move to get rid of the economic development department in this county.  We now have no one for a point of contact. Sure, they can call the city offices in each town for info but seriously how effective is that.  For example, when Flint Oak brings in all those hunters, Elk county is majorly missing out on significant sales tax income because no one is there to be our "cheerleader" (for lack of a better word).  They don't have any way to know what services Elk County can provide to them.  Many are going to Eureka, Fredonia, and even
Augusta and Wichita for services that we could provide them right here at home.  Yes, it is each businesses responsibility to market themselves but there is only so much we can do.  I really think Elk County is missing out on more money than what a part time employee was costing us.

Ross

Quote from: Anmar on February 17, 2014, 11:48:36 AM

I'm curious, what are some of the plans and proposals going around to encourage economic development?  Other than "lower taxes," do you all know how/why business move to an area?  Or what kind of environment helps start businesses? 

There never has been any plan to do any real Economic Development for Elk County, IMHO. I don't believe there is any desire to bring any outsiders into Elk County on a permanent basis. I happen to think, if there was any desire to bring a decent size manufacturer into Elk County from California it could have been done. That would be Economic Development.

Being advertisers for retail businesses is not Economic Development. But would perhaps be the job of the Chamber of Commerce. IMHO.

Quote from: jprxmkt on February 19, 2014, 09:10:03 PM
Regardless of what you all thought of Jennifer (please don't take this as an opportunity to bash her again) I still believe it was a very bad move to get rid of the economic development department in this county. 

If discussing the job Jennifer had and did for the County is considered bashing her, don't you suppose you should avoid the subject!

I asked Jennifer during County Commissioners meetings, what she was doing for Economic Development and what she said amounted to doing nothing more than acting the part of an information operator, a real-estate agent, or a simple internet search engine. And it was more than apparent that she was working more for Elk Konnected, LLC than the Elk County Government and the e-mail from the editor confirms that in my opinion. 

So anyway I feel left to ask where is the growth in Elk County that is connected with her Economic Development efforts? I still see the county population retracting?

Jennifer chose to quit the job as Economic Development and consequently, as I understand it, the job was given to another employee.

Unless there is an active attitude and a real plan for real economic development and a desire to bring in outside manufacturers and real money to provide good paying jobs, I don't see where there is the need for a Department. I do believe an Economic Development Department would consist of more than one part time employee doing some real work towards development.

I have watched the little hamburger stand in Longton perform his own economic development and I believe he is doing quite well. Also I have watched the very new veterinary business in Moline develop rather quickly. And not asking the county doing anything for them. Oh and there is the brand new liquor store in Longton that appears to be doing well!

Bullwinkle

The only business being missed out on would be lodging as to hunters. Mr Devlin has a building that would accommodate that if he spent some of his millions to do it . The old bank building. Which has windows leaving debris on the sidewalk from breakage and is in need of major repair, with masonry that is deteriorating as well. OSHA would make him tear it down or fix it if they were made aware of the condition. He is quite capable of doing something to help our economic situation, but it obviously is not one of his priorities. He is quite comfortable making his money at Flint Oak. He put forth a proposal for the citizens to do the labor to restore it a while back, but the citizens didn't feel the need to make him more money.

Patriot

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 19, 2014, 11:02:21 PM
     The only business being missed out on would be lodging as to hunters. Mr Devlin has a building that would accommodate that if he spent some of his millions to do it . The old bank building. Which has windows leaving debris on the sidewalk from breakage and is in need of major repair, with masonry that is deteriorating as well. OSHA would make him tear it down or fix it if they were made aware of the condition. He is quite capable of doing something to help our economic situation, but it obviously is not one of his priorities. He is quite comfortable making his money at Flint Oak. He put forth a proposal for the citizens to do the labor to restore it a while back, but the citizens didn't feel the need to make him more money.

And, absent 'volunteer labor' and special tax incentives (read exemptions from property taxes) that isn't likely going to happen.  When the elites & statists begin dumping their own money into such projects instead of looking for special tax treatment and free labor, I'll have more empathy.

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

nykkylsdymes

QuoteI still believe it was a very bad move to get rid of the economic development department in this county.  We now have no one for a point of contact. Sure, they can call the city offices in each town for info but seriously how effective is that.

It is their job to promote their city,isn't it?  If it is not effective then we all need to elect better people, don't you think?

QuoteElk county is majorly missing out on significant sales tax income because no one is there to be our "cheerleader" (for lack of a better word).

The significant sales tax that those wonderful hunters provide our county has not changed in 12 months I bet.  Has your bottom line changed and can you tie that to those hunters?  I doubt it.  Many of those hunters that do shop elsewhere is because they live elsewhere and bring what they need in.  The weekend warriors come out on the weekend not to shop in Elk County.  This is not what this county is known for. 

QuoteUnless there is an active attitude and a real plan for real economic development and a desire to bring in outside manufacturers and real money to provide good paying jobs, I don't see where there is the need for a Department. I do believe an Economic Development Department would consist of more than one part time employee doing some real work towards development.

Ross nails it.  Without a plan of some kind we are all stumbling around and not getting anywhere.

Integrity is doing what is right when no one else is watching.

Diane Amberg

Bull, I'm gonna teach you something. Not in malace, but for your education and so others might learn something also.  You are still willing to learn "new" things, right? ;)
    Yes, one can have a "verbal" response in written form.  I partially quote Cynthia Messon from" E-how."
"Believe it or not, writing is considered a form of verbal communication because words are involved." The writing can be in electronic form, e-mails, books, faxes (et al) and any other item that contains a written message is considered verbal communation." Raising hands or waving arms is an unwritten form of communication because no words are used.
Now see what you learned, just because you poked me without knowing you were incorrect. Speaking of thin skin.....I almost sent this as a PM, but I figured, what the hey, you never miss a chance to  poke me in public, why skip the fun.

Ross

Quote from: nykkylsdymes on February 20, 2014, 10:36:09 AM
Ross nails it.  Without a plan of some kind we are all stumbling around and not getting anywhere.

Careful there nykkylsdymes ya might give me a big head.
I ain't to bright, I just screw up once in a while and say something right!

Most of my life has been to deal with things as they come up and when it came to dealing with people I tried to concentrate on ethics and attitude. Also I was born into a dirt poor family with ten kids so I did without a whole lot throughout my life, so I thoroughly believe in "Waste Not, Want not".

And I don't consider myself the least bit greedy for fame nor fortune.
And consequently I don't believe in taking advantage of others and that includes taxation to feather someone's bonnet.

I happen to like Elk County the way it is, however if someone came up with a sensible way to stimulate growth and that is what the majority of people wanted, I would be supportive of it.

However, if it is just a privately owned LLC that attempts to manipulate people and operates secretively and only for their own profit or gain, I have a problem with that.

I have not recognized an attitude of wanting growth in Elk County but I have recognized the attitude of control by a very few and mostly fueled by what I consider lies and B.S.

You see there is always more than one solution to most any problem and being elite is not one of them IMO.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk