Common Core Education And More About Federal Government Control

Started by Ross, December 20, 2013, 02:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross

Quote from: Diane Amberg on December 20, 2014, 10:19:35 AM
It's interesting how the interpretations of "teaching" religion have changed over the years. Part of the high school history course I took in 10th grade in 1960 was about the world's great religions. It was about the various  large world religions, including Christianity, how they were alike and different and the history of their beginnings and what they were about. In no way did the course promote any of them. It was very objectively taught and I personally enjoyed it.
Having read the above, I don't see how it "promotes" anything. Mohammed was a real person. The little partial piece doesn't suggest anyone should agree or disagree with Mohammed. He was who he was and he was part of history.
The vocabulary words shown have nothing to do with Islam. How do the words ''astute","conducive," and "erratic" as advanced vocabulary words, promote any religion? These kids were seniors! Surely they should be allowed to be exposed to things that cause them to think and decide, not just censor certain things out of existence.
If everything is controlled, criticized and censored, so much will be tossed out that critical thinking and coming to conclusions  will be impossible. It would be just "learn what you are told and don't think for yourself." I thought parents wanted their kids to learn to think ,not just memorize and parrot it back, in classes that provide for such.I guess I'm too old and over the hill.

Critical thinking explains this is not the 1960's

It is a simple matter of comprehension or lack there of, of today's current events.
By that I am referring to events since the election of President Obama.

More progressive liberals are faulting Christianity and pushing atheism, yet it's okay to use Mohammad in the schools? Why?

Mohammed. Mohammed (ca. 570-632) was the founder of the religion of Islam and penned the Quran..

He proclained that Allah is the only God.

Muslims discuss Muhammad and other prophets of God with reverence, adding the phrase "peace be upon them" whenever their names are mentioned.

Yet his people have no problem beheading people today, do they?
Or committing mass executions of old men, women and children do they?

Why didn't they use their vocabulary words in sentences of this sort? Just think about that?

Where do you read anything in the lesson that challenges the children to think for themselves?
And how can they think for themselves if the information is given except in a biased way such as presented? It is simply misleading information.

This Obama Common Core bullshit is being opposed from one end of our country to the other, because of this sort of stuff. I>E re-writing of the 2nd amendment.

Obama Common Core was forced on to our country, by the Federal Government via sneaky means and lying to everyone. Just as ObamaCare was forced onto our country. Both are being fought on Natiomal, State and local levels.

Teachers are quitting in mass because of Common Core and the majority of the country is upset with it and ObamaCare.

There is so much more to it but I think I have provided enough information.

Where is your critical thinking?

Quote from: Diane Amberg on December 20, 2014, 10:19:35 AM
I guess I'm too old and over the hill.

Diane Amberg

Taken out of context that little snippet doesn't prove anything one way or the other about religion being "taught" in schools. Also I'd have to see the rest of what they were doing to see if any critical thinking was involved or not. They very well may have been asked to write something that used those words and/or  to express other views on the subject matter. We don't know whether they did or not.

Ross

(For Diane's Benefit)

INDOCTRINATION NATION:
A North Carolina High School Vocabulary Lesson
Goes Viral
!
December 19, 2014 By Brooke McGowan

Do you know what is in your child's vocabulary lessons?  A Pitt County high school English lesson has caused quite the stir in North Carolina after its contents became public on a Facebook video recently. 

In it, Facebook user Dianne Savage reads questions from the lesson which obviously indicates a favorable bent on Islam.  We have to ask why is this being promoted in such a blatant way.  All aspects of Islam should be included, if at all, but are grossly ignored. 

The state of North Carolina has met with controversy over Islamic issues before, passing an anti-sharia law in 2013.  The North Carolina General Assembly (NCGA) easily passed the initiative but Republican Governor Pat McCrory wouldn't sign the bill.  Like the consummate politician, he wouldn't veto it either.

After local official evaluation, the lesson appears to be in line with Common Core State Standards.  These standards have been under scrutiny from both state legislators and the general public.  The NCGA formed a Legislative Research Commission on CCSS in 2013, and completed the study in early 2014. Among other points, the study recommends: 

1. Local boards of education, school administrators, teachers, and instructional personnel should continue to adopt and implement locally adopted curricula for appropriate instruction of each child in each subject area.

2. The State Board of Education (SBE) and local boards of education shall continue to communicate with parents of public school students and other stakeholder groups to increase the transparency of standard and curricular adoption, revisions, implementation and evaluation.

3. The SBE continue to review, revise, and refine the North Carolina Standard Course of Study, especially in the areas of mathematics and in English Language Arts, according to current SBE policy.
The committee deems that local school officials have control over curriculum.  I have a feeling no school board committee has ever read the vocabulary lessons and approved of them outright.  Unless there is an unknown Islamic infiltration in Farmville, North Carolina that has also taken over its local school board. 

It has become increasingly apparent that we all need to closely scrutinize public school curricula. Leaving that responsibility up to legislators, boards, administrators and teachers is simply not working. 

http://www.tpnn.com/2014/12/19/indoctrination-nation-a-north-carolina-high-school-vocabulary-lesson-goes-viral/

(MY note: It appears that the teacher didn't understand the ramifications of what she was teaching or didn't care. I don't know which.)

redcliffsw

Quote from: Diane Amberg on December 20, 2014, 04:00:50 PM
Taken out of context that little snippet doesn't prove anything one way or the other about religion being "taught" in schools. Also I'd have to see the rest of what they were doing to see if any critical thinking was involved or not. They very well may have been asked to write something that used those words and/or  to express  otheir views on the subject matter. We don't know whether they did or not.

After doing some critical thinking, I've reached the conclusion that you still don't know what you're talking about.  Don't think you'll ever catch on.

There's nothing neutral about the government schools, they've been indoctrinating students for the central government ever since the War For Southern Independence. 

Diane Amberg

Sorry folks, I still don't see a "favorable" attitude about Islam in that little snippet. What I do see written is that Mohammad had a favorable view about the old Islam, as one would expect.
Red, how can you say I don't know what I am talking about? Shall I say the same to you? Swat me not!
Do you have more information than was shown here? If so, show it. If not ,then I can have a point of view  on the available information like anyone else. To extrapolate so much from those little snippets is quite a stretch, don't ya think?
Ross, based on the obviously slanted title, what you printed wouldn't have helped me at all. Usually I wouldn't have read it anyway. You are still on ignore
  If I had been teaching there right now, and knowing what a hot button anything to do with Islam is, I wouldn't have used that lesson until I had asked some questions of the principal about possible political outfall. Usually the teachers have no choice on what central materials are used.
These were seniors, not third graders, so it must have been in senior English? I don't know and neither do any of you. I was commenting to WARPH on his post.
I'll not allow myself to be sucked in again, so this is all I'll say on this subject.

Ross

Quote from: Diane Amberg on December 21, 2014, 08:31:09 AM
Sorry folks, I still don't see a "favorable" attitude about Islam in that little snippet. What I do see written is that Mohammad had a favorable view about the old Islam, as one would expect.

You surely figured something out otherwise why do you call it a HOTSPOT?
Have you finally left the '60's and came into the present?
Personally, I loved the sixties, but that is over and done.

Red, how can you say I don't know what I am talking about? Shall I say the same to you? Swat me not!
Do you have more information than was shown here? If so, show it. If not ,then I can have a point of view  on the available information like anyone else. To extrapolate so much from those little snippets is quite a stretch, don't ya think?

Yes, Diane you are entitled to your opinion concerning the article and you have been freely permitted to write it. And Red is equally entitled to his opinion concerning his opinion of your knowledge and freely expressed it here just as you voice your opinions. Freedom of Speech –- ain't it great! You address what you say and are quoted as saying as snippets. Snippets you posted are fair game, LOL, and provide a lot of information.

We are all free to have our own opinion and when we express them publicly we are open to criticism provided by another persons opinion. So slap me, baby, Slap me. Or swat me if you prefer. LOL

Ross, based on the obviously slanted title, what you printed wouldn't have helped me at all. Usually I wouldn't have read it anyway. You are still on ignore

I simply posted an article written by someone with talent for writing articles. Plain and simple !
Everything is slanted Diane! Any article you read has a title slanted towards the message, so what is your point. Apparently you never taught English, or did you? Is slanted the proper word? LOL

You keep saying I am on ignore, but ya know it's not true.
Here you are once again. And you called me out.
And you called me out on your own thread and I promised if you called I would respond, Didn't I?
Quote:

Quote from: Diane Amberg on December 21, 2014, 09:24:39 AM

( Ross better keep his paws off this!)

I kept my word, didn't I ?

If I had been teaching there right now, and knowing what a hot button anything to do with Islam is, I wouldn't have used that lesson until I had asked some questions of the principal about possible political outfall. Usually the teachers have no choice on what central materials are used.

You appear to have finally figured something out, otherwise why would you call it a HOT BUTTON ?

I don't recall anything or anyone blaming the teacher or the principal or even blaming the School District!
I recall fingers pointed at Obama's Common Core.
It was an Obama Common Core text book !

These were seniors, not third graders, so it must have been in senior English? I don't know and neither do any of you. I was commenting to WARPH on his post.

What grade is really immaterial --- when convoluting education there is always a problem, plain and simple.

We do know it was an English class assignment because the article said so. That was part of the main point.
You should read for comprehension.

Did I miss something, was the name Warph mentioned in your post? I don't think so! So that leaves it open to all readers, doesn't it?

I'll not allow myself to be sucked in again, so this is all I'll say on this subject.

Nobody but Nobody sucked you in. What tomfoolery is that. Sucked in, my foot!

The thread is open to the public and no one is forced or sucked in to post.
Did you read anywhere, where someone said Diane come on in here ?
Did you read that anywhere in this article about Islam?

Don't blame us or the thread for you personal decisions, okay! OK!

Sincerely, You are so much fun!

Diane Amberg

I must have actually lost my mind. >:(  I honestly thought I could comment on a piece posted by WARPH without out incurring attempts at personal insults.
I still stand behind my opinions and really resent the implication that I am too stupid to know what is going on. Certain people think they have free reign to attack and patronize because Teresa allows it to continue. They assume that means she approves.
The dark side can have it. They are miserable complainers who aren't happy unless they are griping about something or trying to make themselves feel less insecure by making personal verbal attacks.  There is no give and take of ideas allowed. They refuse to learn how to debate ideas. Who needs it. Phooey!

Ross

Quote from: Diane Amberg on December 22, 2014, 10:54:49 AM
I must have actually lost my mind. >:(  I honestly thought I could comment on a piece posted by WARPH with out incurring attempts at personal insults.
I still stand behind my opinions and really resent the implication that I am too stupid to know what is going on. Certain people think they have free reign to attack and patronize because Teresa allows it to continue. They assume that means she approves.
The dark side can have it. They are miserable complainers who aren't happy unless they are griping about something or trying to make themselves feel less insecure by making personal verbal attacks.  There is no give and take of ideas allowed. They refuse to learn how to debate ideas. Who needs it. Phooey!

I feel so sorry for you. You don't seem to grasp all the put down you yourself has inflicted on this forum. But it is a natural thing to blame everyone else rather than shoulder responsibility. Right here in this post no less.

The dark side can have it. They are miserable complainers

Very degrading of you isn't it.

Perhaps you should follow your own back handed advise:

They refuse to learn how to debate ideas.

As I explained  your post did not explicitly mention Warph. But still that does not censor others from responding on an open forum.

Sure you should stick to your own opinion but don't try to censor others opinions.

I do believe you assume to much about the  ethics of the owners of this forum. And for you to continually voice it on the forum they own is just plain disrespectful.

Based on the small amount of information I have on the owners they are very good people.

And they provide this means of communication at no cost to any one, so be thankful.

I hope you have a great day.

Joesue23

Ross you are an absolute idiot, no one on the forum has done even close to the Putdowns that you have. From the first time you got on the Forum until now you have lied, made up crap about everyone from the schoolboard, county commissioners, to anyone that opposed your trash. You are without a doubt the worst thing that has happened to Elk County. I own property and pay taxes in Elk County, have thought about moving there but  you  make me hesitant to do so. I am not defending Diane  I just tired of your trash and lies.

Joesue23

Ross, you have driven everyone else from the Forum,, look at how few are posting.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk