Common Core Education And More About Federal Government Control

Started by Ross, December 20, 2013, 02:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

'' Most of you"? Wow, I had no idea you had met so many of us. How you know that is our (my ) thinking is beyond me. Do we all have an extra eye or something that gives us away?  ;D  Goodness, how judgmental! I'll say it again, a number of occupations demand education and advanced degrees. It's not like people have a choice. Does your church encourage such negative behavior? A "rink dink" organization? Such as ? Anyone who wants to know about Common Core has many many ways of finding out about it.Then on the flip side are the parents who want an easy path for their kids, want the education wheels greased and will blame any thing and anyone for their problems...except the student.
Personally, I have never stopped learning. My interest in life is very deep and very real.I don't expect anthing from it, except personal satisfaction.I read constantly ,and not just puff pieces like People . I enjoy many things and love learning new things, even now. National Geographic, Natural History and others like it. They are very well written.Ya can't help but learn something.
Why tar everyone with the same brush? Of course there are educated people who are well "book learned" and still haven't a lick of sense. I don't have to attack them publicly to deal with them, just as there are business people of all kinds who are terrible at their jobs. Even self employed tradesmen can be real stinkers and not have a clue what they are doing...and for that the innocent public, who trust and shouldn't, pay through the nose. Just because a person has a one bad experience doesn't mean they should generalize that all trades men or truck drivers or mechanics are crooks!One should make individual judgements based on outcome.For people who really don't like people, it must be hard finding anyone who lives up to their impossible expectations.
You don't know nearly as much about Common Core as you think you do. Look at the objectivity of your sources. There are schools that are thriving on it as far as it goes now. If it's so terrible, why is that? Remember when computers first hit our lives? Why didn't ALL parents rear back and demand that all those expensive toys be tossed in favor of the "old ways."
Sure Common Core may fail, just as the "New Math" did. You better hope that teachers are just as flexible as they always have been and will teach what needs to be taught in public schools no matter.
You aren't old enough to remember when Kansas kids had one set of Kansas state approved Readers from which all Kansas kids learned to read...or didn't.Ya couldn't keep up, eventually out the door you went. They felt no guilt about not teaching the difficult students. I have two of my parents' Kansas Readers. It very enlightening to see what those kids were expected to read.It's a shame so few can live up to you;
whatever it is you have to offer must get lost in personality judgements. My opinions and I'm stictin' to them or ya can fu-ged-about it.

Ross

Blah, blah, blah.

You asked and you recieved an answer.
Your education is very limited that does not make any you smarter than someone without a degree.

It is a very narrow education.

Yiu were even dissing things you know nothing about except for maybe reading.
You were busy dissing parents for not getting their kids to school, well diss you and your lack of compassion associated with your high and mighty degree.

When have you ever been a struggling single mother, huh when? When have you experienced it in real life, so as you can bad mouth them for not getting their kids to school?

When have you ever expperienced homeless and joblessness, no I don't mean reading a book? I mean experience the fear and axieties that go with it.

When have you ever exerienced poverty? When?

No you have no education, but you can diss the parent that may be having those very experiences   and oh the poor, poor teacher suffers so much.

I have had much the same as those experiences.  I was raised in poverty, I have experienced joblessness and homelessness and the fears and anxieties that go with it, when I was laid off from  a very well pay paying job and had a wife that wanted to marry my best friend. Poor guy!

I have most likely had far better paying jobs than you have had and that's not boasting. I have actually been very fortunate in my life. Much more fortunate in my life than many other people and I am thankful to God for the real lessons in life that I have learned.  I don't diss the poor or the races or the religions of others. I have in fact embraced each and every one of those things. 

Oh I know of the readers of which you speak, I even remember the little chalk boards students carried to and from school.

I have had tons of experiences in my life. I also have education in more than just a trade.

As far as organizations, that's right I have no use for them and ther politics and their demands, that includes the churches and their politics and demands. I probably have a stroger belief in God than most church goers. I said probably!

I don't need someone as president of some organization with their rule book  to tell me what to do or think or when to do it. And that there right onlu sums up part of what organizations are about, in my opinion.

Just wonder over to http://www.cascity.com/howard/forum/index.php/topic,11780.0.html and refresh your self on what the educated idiots have done in and/to just Elk County. Then take at a look at how the educated idiot in the White House and all his yes men have damaged our country.

Yes. Diane I may be far better educated than you. You think your job a teacher extends to being parent of the children beyond the class room, I'm sorry Diane it does not, wake up. It's not your job to be a social worker, a nurse, a shrink or a judge and jury of the parents. Nor is it the job of any educator or Adinistration to be the parent of any child. Being a teacher in the class room and answering to the parent and the administration  who answers to the elected officials of the taxpayers and voters, that's your job. Be it the ABC's or the 123's or spelling in the class room. If you want to teach, you teach the children in the class room very simple.

If you want to argue with me about what I say or do here   Elk County be repared to be matched with what ever I feel you deserve. You live in Delaware and I live here in Elk County, Kansas and pay   taxes and vote here.I am considered an outsider here by the locals even though I live here and provide financial support to the in local ecoomy and support the local government through property taxation. So just what the hell is someone clear up in Delaware with their nose in Elk County, Kansas business called? Perhaps a busy body alien! Do you at suppose that might work?

A degree in dentistry is much good in heart surgery is it. A degree psychiatry isn't much good in constructing a septic system, or raising a crop in the field, or raising a heard of cattle, or teaching children in a school classroom, right? 

I have fired Doctors and hospitals and psychiatrists with the blessings of my insurance company. I have reamed out goverment supervisors and military officers all because of their ignorance. No, I was never reprimanded for my actions. A college degree does not insure intellegence, I have seen the ignorance of college educated idiots far to many times in my life. So if someone flashes a college degree at me it means very little, I amnot easily impressed.

Thank you and live with it.

Warph

Mooch Obuma Continues To Bash Republicans For Trying To Reverse Her
School Lunch Mandate: What They're Doing Is "Unacceptable"

(Mooch is pissed... which makes me happy)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Via ABC News:

Michelle Obama said she'll fight to prevent Congress from rolling back changes to school lunch standards across the country, telling a small group of reporters that folding now is "unacceptable."

"Of course it's hard. That we expected," the first lady said of getting school cafeterias and students on board with healthier fare.

"We expected those challenges, particularly among our oldest kids who've grown up eating junk food," she added. "But what we did not expect was for the grownups to go along with it and say, 'Well, this is too hard and it costs too much money so let's stop even though we have 90 percent compliance.'"

The House Appropriations Committee voted in May to allow schools to temporarily opt out of the school dietary requirements — a move interpreted by some as the first step toward an overhaul of the standards.

"Would you ever say, 'Let's just stop now and start over because we have 10 percent left to do?" Obama told reporters, including ABC News' chief health and medical editor Dr. Richard Besser. "That's where we are right now and that's just unacceptable."

But some critics say the first lady's stats are inaccurate.

"The government continues to perpetuate the fiction that 90 percent of school cafeterias are successfully meeting the federal nutrition standards being debated by Congress. This is unfortunate and irresponsible," Patti Montague, chief executive officer of the School Nutrition Association, said in a statement.
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Catwoman

Great post, Warph!  Wish schools would go back to actually cooking the meals on-site, instead of using a central kitchen.  All of the pre-processed foods are higher in salt, sugar and fat.  I remember the meals cooked by the ladies in the kitchen...Nutritious and yummy.  There was far less food thrown away then than there is these days.  There was a movement among the professional chefs some years ago to bring back real cooking in the school, proving that it was far more nutritious and more cost effective to actually cook the meals on-site...The problem with that?  You have to actually have people in the kitchen who can cook, not just warm things up.

Diane Amberg

Cat I agree too. Our cafeteria ladies aren't allowed to cook any more either...very sad.

Warning, read at your own risk.Your own personal blowhard is in the building. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D I do have to do a retort to Ross. He's giving me hives. Ross you couldn't be more wrong about what a teacher is responsible for. You ever hear of "in loco parentis? "We have to report potential abuse, etc. and yes, we are social workers and nurses too and lots of other things too.  Don't give me any crap about poor struggling single working mothers .You wouldn't believe the bend -over- backward arrangements the school had to accommodate them! Opening the school doors early so Mom wouldn't be late for work, after care programs so the Moms could come to school to get them after work. Some Principals actually called the house...if they had phones, to be sure the kids got up. Classroom teachers were left out of that, administrative staff takes/took care of it.
Compassion my big toe. Ross yer breaking Di's law again.You don't know that you don't know. You have painted a very clear picture of yourself though. Very sad.
In the Maryland school I taught in, as an EMT, I was the school nurse, so to speak. She only stopped in for a few hours one day a week to check for lice, scabies and do paperwork. Hurt kids were brought to me to bind, splint or whatever was needed beyond a band aid and a kiss from the school secretary. Then the parents were called and / or the Principal took the child to Union Hospital, which was right down the street. In serious cases the ambulance was called, which was right across the street from the school. Of course since I also had a double minor in art and music,I played instruments, was in the band and learned to draw and paint, do pottery and sculpture and more, all which was useful in the classroom. Why do I have to 'prove" any of this to you?
As far as the rest of my education... Do you have any idea how much education it takes to be a Nationally Registered EMT? I was a state instructor for EMT and I was a National Registry examiner. I was one of a group that gave the exams, both practical and written. The amount of knowledge we had to have even surprised some docs. It was/is ridiculous! So, there is a lot more to my knowledge base than you think..not to mention the never ending con ed and testing we as the instructors have/had to do too. I worked very hard for it and will not apologize for succeeding.
As for money, help yourself. It's never been the most important thing in my life. Thanks to my parents, who also took their education seriously . Plus, I married a man who did too, and went on for more degrees to help him at work.
Why does my education bother you so much? You just don't know the fun you are missing...like the old days of the forum. Lots of us had a lot of fun on here. It wasn't just one big gripe session. That was saved for Fridays.
Now I have to go work on the ambulance fund drive return coupons, which some folks refuse to fill out and then they wonder why they don't get credit for their donations. One poor fellow, who I assume is very old, is insisting it's still 2013 and he had already donated. He had..in the real  May 2013. He did enclose a check, but I have to be sure he understands he's covered, but didn't donate twice. When folk do donate to our fund drive, we don't balance bill. We accept whatever their insurance or Medicare pays.
Oh, and for more education, I also worked part time at a local bindery. I did editing, lay out and learned to run the big page cutter and staple machine.
Now,  I think I'll take a nice long break and you can be a spitting cobra and send your self appointed ignorant  hatin' venom at some other poor unsuspecting teacher. Pushin' the ignore button. Blah.

Catwoman

::) Diane...Don't waste your time or typing abilities trying to educate the uneducable.  The peanut gallery foreman has no idea what it is that we do on a daily basis...The monies spent out of our own pockets to make the room halfway decent for our students...The level of training/re-training/etc. it takes to not only keep up with the new developments in Education but also to keep fresh on what has already been learned...The level of preparedness it takes in order to maintain licensure.  You are to be commended for continuing to try to bring enlightenment on the subject of teacher/being a teacher...But give it up as a bad job and keep the <ignore> button on.  The funny thing about how that works...I have the feeling that everything we post can be seen by the persons we have on the ignore list.  It is only us who cannot see what they post (thank GOD).  I might be wrong about that but I doubt it.  I would never dream of telling a doctor how to do their job, in spite of the multitudinous hours spent in a doctor's office.  It always amazes me how many people think that, just because they have a basic high school education, they are sitting in a position to tell any and all educators how to do their job.  That would be like a landscape architect, having worked on the grounds of the Menninger Foundation, thinking that they were capable of diagnosing mental illness just because "they had been around it enough to know".   Hang in there, Diane!

Ross

Quote from: Diane Amberg on June 20, 2014, 06:19:03 PM
Cat I agree too. Our cafeteria ladies aren't allowed to cook any more either...very sad.

Warning, read at your own risk.Your own personal blowhard is in the building. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I must agree with you, although I would never have said it. You did a perfect job. See, I can be complimentary.

I do have to do a retort to Ross. He's giving me hives. Ross you couldn't be more wrong about what a teacher is responsible for. You ever hear of "in loco parentis? "We have to report potential abuse, etc.

Retort = say something in answer to a remark or accusation, typically in a sharp,             angry, or wittily incisive manner. say something in answer to a remark or accusation, typically in a sharp, angry, or wittily incisive manner.

No accusations so it must be remarks.
Nothing sharp or witty so it must be anger.
Doesn't anger lead to hatred?

Everyone is responsible for reporting abuse, so what is new there? It is not just a teacher's responsibility. A little common sense, please.

and yes, we are social workers and nurses too and lots of other things too. 

No teachers are teachers not social workers.
Merriam Webster -  any of various professional activities or methods concretely concerned with providing social services and especially with the investigation, treatment, and material aid of the economically, physically, mentally, or socially disadvantaged

Don't give me any crap about poor struggling single working mothers .You wouldn't believe the bend -over- backward arrangements the school had to accommodate them! Opening the school doors early so Mom wouldn't be late for work, after care programs so the Moms could come to school to get them after work. Some Principals actually called the house...if they had phones, to be sure the kids got up. Classroom teachers were left out of that, administrative staff takes/took care of it.

I never gave you a bit of crap about the underprivileged of our society, I said you lacked compassion for them because you lack any life experience concerning real problems of the real people of the world. Even some well to do and even highly educated have ended up jobless and homeless. And my position on that is that I have experienced joblessness and homelessness and as for my present situation, I believe only that only by the grace of God I was able to pull myself up to the standard of life that I have.

The school bends over backwards not for the purpose of education, but because they
lose money for every child that misses school and that is for every day they miss school. That my dear is about money.

And though, I am not a shrink that attitude you have posted most assuredly is passed to the children of those people you appear to hold in such distain. It doesn't take a shrink to understand that.

Compassion my big toe. Ross yer breaking Di's law again.You don't know that you don't know. You have painted a very clear picture of yourself though. Very sad.

Di's laws do not exist through out the universe, only in your mind and in your posting.
Attempting to tell people how and what and when to post is a real fault of yours, you really have no say on this forum or on this internet. Would you care to borrow my tinfoil hat?

In the Maryland school I taught in, as an EMT, I was the school nurse, so to speak.

So to speak --- what crap. See paragraph #2 above.

Were you hired as a teacher or as an EMT?  Oh Schools do not hire EMT's do they?

I personally have known youngsters in their very early 20's that were EMT's. Why do you suppose that is?

EMT Requirements
All states require EMTs to be licensed; however, licensing requirements vary by state and EMT level. Becoming licensed entails formal training at the EMT-Basic, EMT-Intermediate or EMT-Paramedic level. Training programs vary from 2-6 month and are available at emergency medical service academies, community colleges, technical schools and universities.

She only stopped in for a few hours one day a week to check for lice, scabies and do paperwork. Hurt kids were brought to me to bind, splint or whatever was needed beyond a band aid and a kiss from the school secretary.

Give me a break! Please refer to your statement above in paragraph #2.

School nurses can be assigned to several school buildings and called at anytime and must respond.

Then the parents were called and / or the Principal took the child to Union Hospital, which was right down the street. In serious cases the ambulance was called, which was right across the street from the school. Of course since I also had a double minor in art and music,I played instruments, was in the band and learned to draw and paint, do pottery and sculpture and more, all which was useful in the classroom. Why do I have to 'prove" any of this to you?

Again Diane it is an administrative problem not a teacher problem.
You don't have to prove anything to me.
I too in my professions and various employment positions have had various studies, so what?

I have studied electrical, mechanical and electronics and many other things, but they do not make me any smarter or dumber than any other human being. The same holds true of a silly diploma.

As far as the rest of my education... Do you have any idea how much education it takes to be a Nationally Registered EMT? I was a state instructor for EMT and I was a National Registry examiner. I was one of a group that gave the exams, both practical and written. The amount of knowledge we had to have even surprised some docs. It was/is ridiculous! So, there is a lot more to my knowledge base than you think..not to mention the never ending con ed and testing we as the instructors have/had to do too. I worked very hard for it and will not apologize for succeeding.

EMT Requirements
All states require EMTs to be licensed; however, licensing requirements vary by state and EMT level. Becoming licensed entails formal training at the EMT-Basic, EMT-Intermediate or EMT-Paramedic level. Training programs vary from 2-6 month and are available at emergency medical service academies, community colleges, technical schools and universities.

An instructor is not necessarily required to be an EMT. And the key word is was. I was many things when I was working as well. I was a teacher of sorts, I was a leader, I was a worker, I was a mentor, I was.

So what is the point of was? Today I still have compassion for others that have and face hardships.

As for money, help yourself. It's never been the most important thing in my life. Thanks to my parents, who also took their education seriously . Plus, I married a man who did too, and went on for more degrees to help him at work.

This is not about money, this is about respect for people and compassion for people.
I've told you, I have had friends that were multi-millionaires that were down to earth people and not of the uppity variety. I also knew of people that were jealous of them and their money, which I felt was ridiculous.

Why does my education bother you so much? You just don't know the fun you are missing...like the old days of the forum. Lots of us had a lot of fun on here. It wasn't just one big gripe session. That was saved for Fridays.

Your education does not bother me, it's you attitude about it that bothers me.
Attitude is everything. The lack of compassion for the underprivileged no matter if it is their fault or the fault of the greatest bank robbery of our nation history that caused a lot of people to loose their homes and jobs makes no difference. They were seriously hurt and many have not been able to recoup.

You do not control the forum do you?

Now I have to go work on the ambulance fund drive return coupons, which some folks refuse to fill out and then they wonder why they don't get credit for their donations. One poor fellow, who I assume is very old, is insisting it's still 2013 and he had already donated. He had..in the real  May 2013. He did enclose a check, but I have to be sure he understands he's covered, but didn't donate twice. When folk do donate to our fund drive, we don't balance bill. We accept whatever their insurance or Medicare pays.

It just isn't out of compassion is it, it is out of self importance provided by the public and possibly a picture in the local newspaper isn't it?

I do have a brother that retired as a fireman and an EMT. So I do know a few things.

Oh, and for more education, I also worked part time at a local bindery. I did editing, lay out and learned to run the big page cutter and staple machine.

Yea for you!
Did they teach compassion and humility with that?

Now,  I think I'll take a nice long break and you can be a spitting cobra and send your self appointed ignorant  hatin' venom at some other poor unsuspecting teacher. Pushin' the ignore button. Blah.

In closing:

Diane it's about your carrying on, because you have an education with a degree, but that lacks compassion and humility.

Hell, I've known people with Phd's that are not much brighter than a 50 what light bulb.

I sat on a Board of Governors with Doctors and other such people of the so called upper crust and elite who could not solve the simplest of problems.  And up pops this old redneck with a simple solution.

You asked, I told you. And you call it hate because you can not handle the truth which causes you to elicit my pity and sympathy by calling it hate.

I hate absolutely no one or nothing. So based on your limited education you apparently don't know the difference between hate and disagreement.

Hate is a very terrible emotion, one emotion I have experienced only once in my life time many, many years ago. Also, it is an emotion, I never wish to experience again. I have told you that before.   Hate is an extremely strong word often used to fend off disagreements and often used as an insult. I am not insulted or intimidated by a person using such tactics out of ignorance and or arrogance.  I'm sorry, I do not make your problems mine and that is your problem, not mine.

Try to be nice to yourself and have a great weekend.

Oh and Diane please listen to Catwomans advice, you are both of the like minds, as your Elk Konnected friends like to say.

The Narrow mindedness that there is no room for improvement in educating our children.
And apparently have no clue about Obama's Common Core.
I've asked and never recieved even a wisper about Common Core so it is apparent!

Goodnight and sweet dreams.

Diane Amberg

Cat,once again you are correct.For some reason Ross needs to find flaws in me even though he only knows of me superficially, except for his all powerful and never failing crystal ball. Apparently he learned "compassion" as a new vocabulary word and now needs to prove that some of us don't have any. ;D   If teachers aren't social workers in the educational and school sense, why did we have to take all those classes? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I hate to admit defeat, but I finally give up. He is unreacheable and will stay in the center if his own little world taking pot shots at whatever he disagrees with and anyone who holds a different opinion or has a different center. He just can't disagree without rudely attacking. So be it. I learned to not to put up with it and attack back, but it gets me nowhere and isn't the real me. So he can go on being the burr under the local saddles and wonder why he doesn't get appreciated very much.
Thanks Cat. I quit, except for the  threads he has nothing to do with.  When will we get to read more of your great poetry?

Ross

Quote from: Diane Amberg on June 21, 2014, 09:05:50 AM
Cat,once again you are correct.For some reason Ross needs to find flaws in me even though he only knows of me superficially, except for his all powerful and never failing crystal ball. Apparently he learned "compassion" as a new vocabulary word and now needs to prove that some of us don't have any. ;D   If teachers aren't social workers in the educational and school sense, why did we have to take all those classes? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I hate to admit defeat, but I finally give up. He is unreacheable and will stay in the center if his own little world taking pot shots at whatever he disagrees with and anyone who holds a different opinion or has a different center. He just can't disagree without rudely attacking. So be it. I learned to not to put up with it and attack back, but it gets me nowhere and isn't the real me. So he can go on being the burr under the local saddles and wonder why he doesn't get appreciated very much.
Thanks Cat. I quit, except for the  threads he has nothing to do with.  When will we get to read more of your great poetry?

I have told you many times of your lack of comprehensiom and then you started dissing parents of of disadvantaged children still using the lack of comprehension which show a lack of compassion.
Niether the word or the action of the word are new to me but your lack of comprehension of it is.

Outstanding news.
Stick to pottery, poetry and painting.
When you paint a picaso let us know!
I will sorely miss you Diane.

Bye, bye again! Because you have said that before!
Remember the ignore program that failed you.

Please educate us on that one!

oh and by the way it may just behoove you to study the niational issue often refered to as Obama Common Core. That is if you really care about children, rather than just using them as a tool in arguments.

And consider the fact that education in K-12 can and should be improved from the lowered standards of the past couple of decades.

Oh, Bye-bye again my little figment.

Catwoman

I'll have to post some more on the Poetry board...I recently threw out about a shoebox full of the stuff.  You are adept at poetry, if I recall??  ;)  Perhaps a haiku about hopeless causes??? lol

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk