Power Ups

Started by ddurbin, May 05, 2013, 03:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddurbin

In his on-going, all-encompassing thread, Mr. Ross has mentioned reading about a new movement or group in Kansas known as Power Ups.  Having read the same article he mentions, I was curious whether his questions about possible ties to Elk Konnected and/or Public Squares, LLC might be accurate or not.  Going to the website of Power Ups, which is www.ruralbychoice.com, one learns it originated with one Marci Penner of the Kansas Sampler Foundation in 2007.  It appears to be a very well designed website and is quite thorough in explaining about this new group.  I would encourage anyone interested to visit the website and read about Power Ups for themselves.  BTW, no where did I see Elk Konnected, Public Squares, LLC., or Liz Hendricks mentioned.  If any of them were, I must have missed it. 

Ross

Well, I just have to move this over to where the topic of OneUps got started.
I just don't understand why ya gotta start a new thread?
That just doesn't make sense to me, unless it is an attempt to confuse the people of Elk County, is that it?

Anyway come on back  over to

http://www.cascity.com/howard/forum/index.php/topic,11780.5500.html

for your response.

crosstimber

"The crucial difference between having a preconceived notion — we all do that, of course — and conspiratorial thinking is when you get into that self-sealing reasoning and ignore every piece of evidence that is pointing the other way, when you're starting to broaden the circle of conspirators, and when your skepticism gets to be nihilistic — when you believe absolutely nothing that the government or the media is saying — that's when you've crossed the line."

http://www.salon.com/2013/04/24/why_people_believe_in_conspiracy_theories/

flintauqua

"Young people have been leaving rural America for decades, but Mike Bosch, 34, is happy to swim against the tide.

Instead of moving his fast-growing information technology services company to his hometown of Dallas last year, Bosch chose to stay in Baldwin City, Kansas, population 4,515. The business, Reflective Group, sits between a car repair shop and post office on a quiet cobblestone street.

All but two of the company's 17 employees are under 40, and half of them live in Baldwin City, about 45 miles southwest of Kansas City.

Bosch is part of a Kansas group called PowerUp, a social and business network that touts rural life for the under-40 crowd and lets them know they are not alone.

"There isn't a 20 to 30 year old out there who isn't going through some struggles in these towns," Bosch said. "We started educating people on why small towns can be better than big towns, and what resources exist out there."

Full story here:

http://news.yahoo.com/kansas-group-tries-reverse-exodus-young-rural-america-212331492.html
"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

Ross

You know what?
You can run an internet web page design service (internet technology as you called it) from anywhere and utilize the cloud from anywhere as well. It doesn't have to be run from a town, a small community or a village, because it is on the World Wide Internet.
In fact it could be run from a boat in the middle of Lake Superior. And as far a operating internet technology, I'm operating it on my laptop sitting on my couch communicating with you, and who knows it might be traveling through the cloud when I activate the post button.

It is cheaper to run the business from one of these sleeper types of communities, because the rent for office space in the large cities is really a lot more expensive. So are the normal day to day living expenses. Isn't this a correct assumption?

But, I must ask Flint how many of these information technology services company can actually operate and survive in rural Kansas?

So, Baldwin City is rural, really? What exactly does rural mean?

How rural is Baldwin City compared to Elk County which I believe to be the ultimate in rural?

Baldwin City is
45 miles to the Heart of Kansas City, Kansas with a population of 146,453
31 miles to Lenxa with a population of 48,972
24 miles to Olathe with a population of 127,907
19 miles to Lawrence with a population of 88,727
16 miles to Ottawa with a population of  12,620
The population of Baldwin City is 4,569
Wouldn't Baldwin City just be considered a sleeper community of Kansas City?
Baldwin City is in Douglas County where Kansas City is, right?

And Douglas County is part of the Kansas City Metropolitan Area, right?

The Kansas City Metropolitan Area is a fifteen-county metropolitan area, anchored by Kansas City, Missouri, that spans the border between the U.S. states of Missouri and Kansas. As of the 2010 Census, the metropolitan area has a population of 2,035,334. It is the second largest metropolitan area in Missouri after Greater St. Louis and is the largest with territory in Kansas, ahead of Wichita. The area includes a number of suburbs including the following which have a population exceeding 100,000: Independence, Missouri; Kansas City, Kansas; Olathe, Kansas; and Overland Park, Kansas. The following suburbs have a population exceeding 50,000: Blue Springs, Missouri; Lee's Summit, Missouri; and Shawnee, Kansas. The Mid-America Regional Council (MARC) serves as the Council of Governments and the Metropolitan Planning Organization for the area.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_Kansas_City
Now that's a mouth full, if I do say so myself.

I visited the link you provided,
http://news.yahoo.com/kansas-group-tries-reverse-exodus-young-rural-america-212331492.html
The article points out much of the same things, I discussed above just in a bit of a different way. Not quite as informative in my personal opinion.

But don't most kids grow up and graduate from high school and leave home and most times many, many miles from home?
Don't a lot of them join the military and some go on to make it a career? Some go to college and as a result acquire excellent jobs in far off areas. Should they give up what they want because of some NGO?
And don't fewer even return home?
And eventually a few may come back, just like the few that came back and started NGO's trying to prevent kids from enjoying the same experience that they got to enjoy.

Really, this is all very confusing, isn't it just a method of trying to manipulate the young and hinder their thinking and growth and life experiences? Perhaps you can clear some of this up for me? Thanks!

Here is yet another such organization: http://americansforprosperity.org/kansas and if you look there is a letter in there that list a bunch more NGO's.

How many NGO's are out there and how many does there need to be?

To me personally NGO's amount to a bunch of small and a bunch of large groups of people that do not want to work with in the system and want to manipulate the system and the people with in there area, region or community. That is just my personal opinion.

Diane Amberg

Well DD, I see the topic has been hijacked again by the " Pretender Administrator." That is so rude! If you had wanted to put your comments on that other thread I'm sure you would have. Now nobody can start a new thread without it being scrutinized by Ross and moved to where ever HE sees fit? Perhaps another complaint is in order.  It isn't up to him to judge what others want to do!
That's pretty sad for someone who insists he be ignored or not believed..and that's exactly why I called him Boss Ross. How dare you start a new thread without clearing it with him first!.  How about moving your thread back where it was? As far as I know he was told about this once already and was told to stop it. Back to the same old tricks, as if the administrators couldn't have really meant it since it was Ross....

Ross

Quote from: Diane Amberg on May 08, 2013, 10:22:41 AM
Well DD, I see the topic has been hijacked again by the " Pretender Administrator." That is so rude! If you had wanted to put your comments on that other thread I'm sure you would have. Now nobody can start a new thread without it being scrutinized by Ross and moved to where ever HE sees fit? Perhaps another complaint is in order.  It isn't up to him to judge what others want to do!
That's pretty sad for someone who insists he be ignored or not believed..and that's exactly why I called him Boss Ross. How dare you start a new thread without clearing it with him first!.  How about moving your thread back where it was? As far as I know he was told about this once already and was told to stop it. Back to the same old tricks, as if the administrators couldn't have really meant it since it was Ross....

I don't understand your complaint but please feel free to file it.
You don't need to ask permission.
Just do it.

It appears you are talking about hide and seek and I think I play fair at hide and seek.

But why hide in the first place?

Ross

Quote from: Diane Amberg on May 08, 2013, 10:22:41 AM
Well DD, I see the topic has been hijacked again by the " Pretender Administrator." That is so rude!

Well I forgot to ask Diane what is with the name calling?
Is that seriously rude?
Is that the way teachers communicate effectively?

Time for me to head outside in the sunshine, the glorious rain has subsided and the clouds have pretty much cleared up.
You try to have a great day.

Diane Amberg

You are moving people's posts again! I didn't move yours.  I'm not hiding...I'm straight up asking you to stop....again. You refused when I asked you the first time.
You were already asked not to do that. Where do you come off moving people's posts around in the first place?
Yes, sometimes teachers have to call certain kinds of people out on their behavior or it would never change. Some times we have to talk rough to get the attention of certain types of adults. Gentle doesn't always cut it, but I'd rather be gentle than not. Teachers are expected to stand up to bullies. That move was very disrespectful, rude, and not justified. Or is it just the hick way of doing things and you can claim you didn't know any better. >:( Somebody needs to stand up once in awhile and say "enough."
 On the one hand you say you don't know anything and welcome help, but on the other hand you seem to want to be your own personal NGO and challenge everybody on everything constantly.
Keepin an eye out is good, we all need to do it, but pages and pages and pages of the same old thing and whipping the same people over and over is very strange. I can't imagine what you expect to accomplish.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk