East Coast Happenings

Started by Diane Amberg, March 22, 2013, 01:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

It's nice to be back. We're finally getting more of a peek at spring here. Daffodils are popping buds everywhere and the birds are starting to sing at first light and I've seen some pairing off.
A new proposed hotel finally got past Newark City Council last night, so we'll be getting a big new building on Main Street. Some residents are in favor of it and many were against, but within our codes it was all done properly. I think it will be a nice new addition to downtown. In the meantime we have a major reconstruction of Main St. starting April first and lasting almost two years. It will really make getting around a mess, but it badly needs to be done. They will be replacing very old crumbling sewer and water pipes, improving storm water handling and generally fixing it up underneath and adding some cute little bump outs with benches and bike parking on both sides. DELDOT should have gotten to this several years ago, but it's finally going to happen.  Also there is going to be a major rebuild of one of our shopping centers and a new nursing home/assisted living approved to be built not too far from me.
There is a big building boom going on here, especially near UD. They want to expand their number of students, but don't want to build more dorms to house them. So, of course, the local builders are buying up old rather dilapidated houses, tearing them down and are putting up more high density housing aimed at the student population.  Many of the locals here are not happy about it. But...UD is a major employer here, so there's that to consider too. UD also bought the old closed Chrysler plant in south Newark and are building a new big technology center (The Star Campus) that will be amazing in a few years when it's finished.  Have a nice day all.

Diane Amberg

It has been confirmed.We did have an F1 tornado go tearing across lower Delaware about 3:45 this morning. Just a baby compared to what you all get, but it did cause a least one injury and did destroy some buildings and downed a lot of trees and tore down a lot of wires. Pretty scary stuff. Welcome to spring!

Diane Amberg

It turns out there were two of them...an F2 and a smaller F1 in a different community in lower Delaware.Many trees were down and some are just getting electricity back on.I just can't imagine dealing with the aftermath of one of your big ones. Have a Happy Easter everyone. It's a beautiful day here. We are having lamb for dinner after finishing some yard work.

Diane Amberg

More storms went rumbling through yesterday, but we had already finished restaining the deck and all the old redwood furniture, so it didn't matter to us. Some folks lost trees in straight line winds and we were on a tornado watch for awhile .
I got all my pansies and petunias...now to get them in their pots and hanging baskets. I've got my tomatoes and peppers too, but it's going to get down to 39 here tomorrow night, so I think I'll just wait a bit longer. My "nose " garden smells wonderful right now.The lilacs, wisteria and Carolina sweet shrub are so nice. The earliest bulbs are finished but the later ones still look good.
The wrens have returned and we saw our catbird this morning. He came over and licked some sugar water from the hummer feeder. No hummers yet. They are late this year.
I hope you are all well and enjoying spring.

Diane Amberg

I hope all you moms out there had a nice Mother's Day. We had rain...again.We got the garden planted but I think it drowned. I hear Judy Harder is having a bad time of it. Facebook messed me up and I've had to start a new account.They did apologize, but I'm still trying to recover my friends.When I ask they assume I've been hacked and some won't friend me again. Please ask for me back... I miss you!

Diane Amberg

We've been watching your weather out there. I sure hope everyone is OK. Yikes. We may get the dregs of it tomorrow night  but hopefully it will go north of us.Thinking of you all.

Diane Amberg

More out there yet again. I feel so bad for everyone affected by the tornados and straight line wind storms. Please stay safe all.

Diane Amberg

I guess I've been dumped. All my posts since May have vanished. I give up. I'll miss you all .

Wake-up!

I'd like to believe the Cascity folks would not censor this 'forum'. Especially when the conversation is in the neighborhood of wrens and catbirds. But, your comment worries me.

Come, toss your $0.02 in on politics. I guarantee at least one reply. It might be fun.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.

The greatest mistake in American history was letting government educate our children.
- Harry Browne, 1996/2000 Libertarian Party Presidential candidate

Diane Amberg

Merry Christmas to anyone still left. The east coast is still here and Al and I are still alive. I guess I've been shunned, so I'll go back to facebook. Such a shame. I always enjoyed the good conversations here, but never cared for the bullies. I doubt I'll ever visit Kansas again. Have a good 2020.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk