East Coast Happenings

Started by Diane Amberg, March 22, 2013, 01:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Wilma

I still haven't heard of any earthquake near Haysville, Kansas on the local Wichita channels.  Most of you probably know that Haysville is only a couple of miles south of Wichita.  Is it possible that an earthquake could be recorded but not felt in the vicinity?  This puzzles me.  Why would the Wichita news service jump on an earthquake near the Oklahoma border and ignore one at home?

W. Gray

The same USGS web site reports a 3.1 earthquake centered at Haysville today.

A Christian Science Monitor website says that anything below 4.0 is minor. That site also says that 130,000 earthquakes between 3.0 and 4.0 hit the earth every year.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Wilma

We still aren't hearing of any earthquake near Haysville.  However, there is a report of a 3.8 quake two miles NW of Anthony yesterday morning, which is west of the 4.8 that hit the other day.  Is there any report of this one from the USGS? 

W. Gray

The USGS reported that 3.8 yesterday as also centered at Haysville.

I read in the newspaper that the 4.8 a few days ago was centered at Conway Springs, whereas USGS web site says Haysville for that one also.

Wilma

The 4.8 was centered at the very small town of Milan, six or seven miles south of Conway Springs.  The Wichita TV channels covered it with video of the site and some of the damage.  There must be something wrong with the USGS reporting.  Guess we can't believe everything we read, can we.

Diane Amberg

Very interesting. If you remember we had one while I was on here that made my computer jump up and down, set my porch hanging plants to swinging and almost dumped the books off my book shelves.It did much more damage in DC. The Washington monument has only recently reopened. I find all this ever facinating. It always reminds us we are not really in charge.
One of our faithful fire house bingo players had a little stoke after bingo last week.She's 85 and a delightful person. Apparently she has developed atrial fib. and had the stoke before they got her started on blood thinners. I'll see her tonight I hope and see how she is doing.I don't think she had any residual dmage because  911 was called right away. She  got to the hospital very quickly, in time to dissolve the clot in her brain.
We have a very cold rain now and very cold weather coming in later today. Brr...Stay warm all.

Diane Amberg

Tonight was just plain fun.The fire prevention contest winners came to get their awards tonight.  We had almost 200 happy people. Afterward they had home made cookies and punch and toured the engine bays to look at all the equipment. Irene brought her search dogs,(yellow labs) who were a great hit with everyone.

Diane Amberg

Very strange weather we are having here. Last night a warm front came up from the south with rain. Right now it is 68, but we are expecting snow on Wednesday,as much as 6 inches. I guess I better get my final shopping for the fire house turkey day finished tomorrow even though it will be Al's birthday. :(
I spent yesterday sorting through the three big tubs in my basement pulling out the toys and activity books for the firehouse kids Christmas party on Dec 14.  I shop for it all year long. Mc Donalds gives us free cheeseburger coupons every year and often some soft happy meals toys for the babies.
My big candy order just came so I can take the 5 big shopping bags of stuff with me to bingo tonight and pass them off to one of my friends, who will take it all to her special ed class. They will sort and fill a Christmas bag for each firehouse child. Our elves will give them out to the kids after they have seen Santa and had their photos taken. I got a bunch of new craft projects for the 5 craft tables. This is our 20th party, so it will be fun to freshen it up. It doesn't seem possible we have been doing this for 20 years, with mostly the same small committee doing it each year. Have a good non ridiculing day.

Diane Amberg

Tuesday was Al's birthday so he slept in late, opened a few gifts and played with his fancy new lap top. We went to The Yi Palace for real Chinese for dinner.I had a good stir fried lamb dish with brown rice, and he had a chicken and tofu in "sauce," also with brown rice. It came in a huge soup bowl and he wasn't sure what to do with it at first. He finally figured out to put some of the rice on the plate that came with it and spoon some of the chicken, tofu and sauce over it. Delicious. We brought a lot home as the servings were huge. I'm going to make more rice and we'll finish that good sauce over it after we are tired of turkey.
I spent yesterday cooking for today. It did snow here, but not too much. It was nice to see it falling and know I could stay home and cook and not have to go anywhere on slippery roads.
We leave for the firehouse about 2:15. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk