East Coast Happenings

Started by Diane Amberg, March 22, 2013, 01:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

Happy Valentine's Day to my friends and family out there. We had a bit more snow this afternoon and are expecting an extremely cold front to come through soon with winds above 50. There will be single digit temperatures, possibly down to -1 on Monday night and very cold through Wednesday. Then more snow Wednesday afternoon into Thursday. I feel so sorry for folks in New England. I don't how they can take much more. It's all been streaming just north of us, so we are missing the big snows here.We are getting lots of calls for gas leaks because of the cold....not sure why. In spite of it all, we have large flocks of Robins coming in for water and I have Snow Drops blooming in several sheltered spots and Daffodil and Crocus tips showing here and there. . The pond ice is just about thick enough for ice skating but there was one girl near here who went through and almost drowned. There was a fire fighter/EMT neighbor who was able to save her.Very lucky. Stay warm and safe.

Diane Amberg

It's been so cold here, with 0 and below tonight, all Delaware schools are closed tomorrow. Pipes are freezing all over the place, with fire systems shuting down and serious leaks bringing down ceilings and damaging floors, including schools, so there is no water and water mains are breaking too. Spooky!

Diane Amberg

More calls for "water problems" and it's snowing like a son of a gun....again................

Diane Amberg

Our storm dropped the most snow we've had so far this winter, but now the sun is out and everything is beautiful. i think it was about 6 inches but it's hard to tell because we had freezing rain on top of the snow and that pushed the snow down somewhat. The neighbors have tings well cleaned up now but i could strangel the two teenaged boys across the street.Their mom was out shoveling the sidewalk and drive way all by herself and was having a terrible time with the big icy lumps at the end of the driveway where the snow plow had pushed up some big piles. Al took our big snow blower over and finished it.The right thing to do. Except, as soon as he came back home, the two oldest sons came out, got in their car and left. GR%$@#!!!!

Diane Amberg

More snow and ice yesterday. It was pretty but was a real pain.It's scared off a lot off the bingo players. I understand, but we don't make enough to make it worthwhile. Newark had taken care of the streets very well, but outside of town and parking lots and such were terrible.Had some deaths in the area too.I hope this breaks soon.We are supposed to start having  kids coming to the firehouse for tours again starting next week.
Al had a report to give to city council last night so he was busy there until after 11:00 PM .Tonight he has the City Planning Comission meeting, but we are expecting snow and ice again this afternoon, so it remains to be seen if they'll have the meeting or not.
They have been working on the Comprehensive Plan for the city and it's tough to do. It's hard to keep everyone happy and still be within the limits of the law.

Diane Amberg

Here we go again. More ice. More snow.Yuk.I'm waving a white flag, but nobody can see it for all the white stuff out there.

Diane Amberg

The stuff you had or are still having, is making an appearance here right now. Temps are dropping and snow total predictions are rising.  We are about to be pounded by Thor's hammer.  We might have 6, 8 or 10 inches or more.
It's a typical big storm maker for here. Cold Arctic air is moving in from the North West as warmer wet air is moving up from the south. Makes for good snowballs and snowmen though. The schools are out of snow days, so I hope this is the last curtain call for ol' man winter. We are right in the chute for the worst of it, now until 7:00 tomorrow night. The snow blower has been moved back into the garage so it will be ready to join the local neighborhood snow train when the neighbors get together to dig out after it's all over. Now for some good TV.

Diane Amberg

Ah. Al got a new computer for me. HP Envy. So fast as compared to my old one I almost need a seat belt. What a pleasure. Today is a pleasure too.Truly nice weather and above freezing all day. The snow is slowly receding and happy little plant faces are appearing.The birds aren't as frantic to eat and seem to be enjoying sunning themselves. Off to Bingo later this evening.

jarhead

Diane,
I see you got lost so I helped you out by putting this where I think you meant it to be. No need in thanking me.

Re: Common Core Education And More About Federal Government Control
« Reply #268 on: Today at 12:13:45 pm »
I just had the little kids (4-7) from the Delaware School for the Deaf back at the firehouse to do a spring tour. Some had multiple disabilities. Some have cochlear implants, some are very slow academically, some are extremely bright.

Diane Amberg

Hmmm. I guess I did...maybe. :P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk