COOKSON, Darlene Mavis (Dotterer) - b. September 23, 1936 - d. April 13, 2012

Started by Dignified Redneck, April 13, 2012, 06:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dignified Redneck

Darlene Cookson, wife of Glenn Cookson, mother to Debbie and Irene and former Elk County Treasurer,  passed away this morning at Wakeeny, Kansas. She had been suffering with dementia for several years and was in a nursing home at the time of her passing. Both of the girls and Glenn were by her side this past week when the family was told her time on earth was short. Glenn has moved in with Irene and Max, her husband, there in Wakeeny. Here is the address to send notes of condolences for the family. I know Glenn would absolutely love to hear from the people in Elk County, Kansas. Graveside services are set for April 20th, 2012 at 3 p.m. at the Veteran's Cemetery, Wakeeny, Ks.

Glenn Cookson
224 N Seventh
Wakeeny, KS 67672

Deb Garison
Age & treachery will outlast youth & skill any time !!!!!!!!!!

patyrn

Thanks, Deb, for that information.  I had no idea she was suffering from dementia - haven't seem them for years!  Prayers of peace for her family!  Darlene's maiden name was Dotterer, and her parents were Harry and Margaret Dotterer.  She graduated from Howard High School in the 1950s.

I will try to locate an obituary when it is released.

Karen I.

frawin

I have often wondered where Glenn and Darlene were. I had the fun and pleasure of working with Glenn at Garisons. Glenn welded the Pony carts and I did the bending of the tubing into the parts. Glenn was really a lot of fun to work with. I teased him alot when he started dating Darlene. Darlene Graduated in the class of 1954. Our prayers are with the family. I need to send Glenn a card.

Janet Harrington

Darlene was the treasurer when I was sheriff or at least some of the years. She was always a nice lady and always had a good word to say. Prayers for the family during this time of grief.

patyrn

Darlene Mavis (Dotterer) Cookson of WaKeeney, Kansas, was born in Hazelton, Kansas on September 23, 1936 to the late Harry and Margaret Johanna (Plagge) Dotterer.

Darlene graduated from Howard High School in Howard, Kansas.  On October 5, 1956, she was united in marriage to Glenn A. Cookson.  During her younger years, she was employed by Southwestern Bell, 1st National Bank, Dr. Gary Nickel's office, the ASCS office, all in Howard, Kansas, and was elected Elk County Treasurer until she retired in January 1989.  

Darlene was a member of the Church of God, the Eastern Star, and the American Legion Moore Post #197.  During her spare time, she enjoyed quilting, reading, and spending time with her grandchildren.

Those left to mourn her passing are her husband, Glenn; two daughters, Debra Carrell and husband, Everett of Pittsburg, Kansas and Irene Dirks and husband, Max of WaKeeney, Kansas; nine grandchildren, Katherine, Dallas, Christopher, Danny, Ivan, Natasha, and Gary Carrell, all of Pittsburg, Kansas and Lt. Tobi Dirks and wife, Holly of Laughlin AFC, Texas, Taylor Dirks of Hays, Kansas; and a great-grandchild, Julian Carrell of Pittsburg, Kansas.

A graveside memorial service for Darlene will be held at 3:00 p.m. Friday, April 20, 2012 in the Kansas Veterans' Cemetery in WaKeeney, Kansas with Pastor Randy Gibbs officiating.  Memorials are suggested to the TCFFEE (Trego Community Foundation for Educational Excellence) and can be sent in care of Schmitt Funeral Home, 336 N. 12th, WaKeeney, Kansas 67672.

(taken from the Pittsburg Morning Sun website)

Buddyboy

My prayers and thoughts are with the family at this time. Having watched my mom in law go through Alzheimer's, I know the toll dementia can take on a family. At last she has peace.

Scotty and Ruth Zollars

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk