Property tax relief is coming to Elk County...

Started by Patriot, February 29, 2012, 10:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patriot

Quote from: Wilma on March 05, 2012, 01:58:15 PM
What difference does that make?

Population density is a critical component when it comes to cost of government services, expenses & revenue.  2 kids in the same house cost more than one.  With regard to taxes... the larger tax base in the taxing jurisdiction will also affect the tax revenues to be expected.  Why are property tax rates less in Sedgwick county than in Elk.  Significantly more improved property to tax, greater service needs but with many more people contributing to the overall cost.

Of course, if you increase the amount of improved property in an area but rebate all the property taxes you make no gains in paying the expenses.  The potential new revenues are lost. Perhaps that's why businesses don't run rebate offers day in and day out on the same product.

In our case, John builds a new barn & gets his taxes back.  Fred keeps paying the taxes on his one year old barn (and rates haven't gone down because there's no new tax revenue from John).  If John's new barn catches fire, it's Fred's taxes that pay for the fire service (equipment maintenance, fuel, materials, etc.) to save John's new barn.  Hell of a  deal for John.  Not so much for Fred.  Then there's the new culvert pipe John will probably ask the county to provide so he can get from the road to his barn.  And the added need to keep the road up as John makes mud ruts in the road coming & going to his new barn.  As these costs increase, it becomes apparent that Fred is carrying the tax burden for John.  Equitable?  Show me how.

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Patriot

Just wondering... If I owned a private 2200' x 100' turf airstrip, registered with the FAA and I decided to upgrade/pave it... how much do you think the property tax increase would be?  Maybe I should just build a new hanger or metal barn instead.  In any case, I sure would love a tax rebate.

Diane Amberg

Uh, why isn't the fire company getting money from the Insurance Companies? We do. Check out ISO. Doesn't John's taxes also help pay for the Fire company?
  I'd love to be fully funded by tax money. I'd never have to run another fund drive!   If the insurance company pays for a new barn, who get the rebate? The insurance company?  Anyway, they'll raise John's rate for having a claim.
Aren't both farmers getting subsides other don't get? Tax relief on farm fuel? cheap crop insurance, subsidies on what they grow? Is it fair? Probably not, but who promised fair anyway.  So how would you fix it?

Patriot

Quote from: Diane Amberg on March 05, 2012, 03:12:29 PM
Aren't both farmers getting subsides other don't get? Tax relief on farm fuel? cheap crop insurance, subsidies on what they grow? Is it fair? Probably not, but who promised fair anyway.

Did someone say they were farmers?  And what does that have to do with property tax rebates?

In any case... one wrongdoing by government doesn't justify a second.

Diane Amberg

The point being, some people can get one thing and others perhaps something else as "relief." Also if John and Fred aren't farmers or ranchers why did they need barns? ;D I doubt anybody who can take advantage of rebates and subsides would suggest it's wrong. They can just not apply if they feel strongly about it.

Patriot

Quote from: Diane Amberg on March 05, 2012, 08:12:38 PM
...Also if John and Fred aren't farmers or ranchers why did they need barns? ;D

When was the last time a rancher got subsidized livestock insurance or price stabilization subsidies? 

Quote from: Diane Amberg on March 05, 2012, 08:12:38 PM
I doubt anybody who can take advantage of rebates and subsides would suggest it's wrong. They can just not apply if they feel strongly about it.

Please show me the plain language in the constitutions of the US or Kansas that authorizes government subsidy of the private sector with taxpayer monies.  Lately, I think we've seen the poor track record of government doing just that.  If government employees/officials want so badly to control business, let them leave taxpayer employment, get a private sector job or start a business of their own.

pepelect

I need to build a dairy to make some cheese to eat while reading this whine.  Milk by the way is produced on ranches(dairy) and is a subsided commodity.
  So what happens in year six?   You will rip up your paved airstrip?     I mean the only reason you are paving it is because of the lower property tax.  Right?  Airstrips that are graized  are ag land right? Exempt?   How much property tax do you pay on your imaginary airplane?
I call bullshit....
Quote from: Patriot on March 05, 2012, 08:53:33 PM
When was the last time a rancher got subsidized livestock insurance or price stabilization subsidies?

Seriously after the incentive has expired  a net gain on the overall tax on the property at about year eight.  What could you possibly build that would depreciate to nothing in five years? Better yet why would you build it?

Sorry, there is no injustice for "John" or "Fred."  Fred always has the option of utilizing every program available to John.  Bad management of tax law is just as costly as inefficiency of any operation.  Choosing to make widgets instead of raising animals has some tax Advantages and disadvantages.   Sitting on your hands does nothing for anyone but the ass you are grabbing.

You are whining about other people's assets, other peoples capitol, and other people's property rights to deny an incentive program that will add value in the grand scheme.    Your don't build here at any cost has not worked for the growth of the county.  Why not support something else?

You don't offer a better or more effective alternative. 

Sounds to me like sour grapes.

Patriot

Just like clockwork.........

Welcome back, Patrick er Not-fred... aka PEP... aka Arc Fault.... aka...

redcliffsw

Obvisously, this fellow "Not-Fred" isn't one to stand for your liberty.  It appears that he favors working by and thru government to get your money for his deal.

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on March 05, 2012, 11:03:54 AM
  But, I guess you don't agree with majority rule.

DUH, neither does the founders of this country.  This country is a republic based on the rule of law not mob rule!
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk