Property tax relief is coming to Elk County...

Started by Patriot, February 29, 2012, 10:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patriot

Quote from: srkruzich on March 02, 2012, 10:23:45 PM
AKA redistribution of wealth!

Actually, in our case, protection of wealth for those who can afford to take advantage (build a new home, make major improvements, etc.)  All while everyone continues to foot the bill for the status quo in outrageous property tax rates.

Of course, there's also the prospect that improvements, especially in residential/commercial centers will impact overall property values to the up side resulting in higher property taxes for all unless the mill levies are reduced.
Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Wilma

Patriot, then explain this.  I pay my real estate taxes to the county treasurer, then I file for the Homestead Refund which refunds a portion of the taxes that I pay.  Does this refund come from the Elk County Treasury?

Patriot

Quote from: Wilma on March 03, 2012, 08:35:23 AM
Patriot, then explain this.  I pay my real estate taxes to the county treasurer, then I file for the Homestead Refund which refunds a portion of the taxes that I pay.  Does this refund come from the Elk County Treasury?

We're not discussing Homestead tax relief, but that program also reduces the revenue available to the county, state and schools.  Albeit, IMO, for a much more worthy cause.... because it is more likely to relieve people on lower fixed incomes from high taxes.  The program in question is more likely to benefit only those who are in much better financial condition.

Talk about nit-picking.  As taxpayers at large carry a higher and higher burden of property taxes, you're worried about which bottle the poison is stored in.  Every property tax dollar taken in is divided between the state, county, school and town based on their levies.  For every dollar in refunded/rebated property taxes (regardless of the program) that dollar becomes unavailable to the state, the county, the school, the town, etc.  One more program to short the coffers is one too many.  Especially with costs rising for fuel, rock, supplies, insurance, etc.  As the county costs rise, so will rise the levies required to pay for them.... paid for by the majority who don't get other tax relief like Homestead recipients.  Economic 101.

Wilma, tax money is tax money.  All taxes are monies confiscated by government at some level... taken from the production efforts of private citizens/businesses.  Have you no compassion for the rest of the taxpayers... or since you get yours back from the government, does it just not matter any more?

Wilma

In case you haven't noticed, I am 82 years old.  I do pay taxes just the same as you and I have been paying them for a longer period of time.  Now that my income is set and my ability to go out and add to it had ceased, I am going to take any advantage that is offered.  I paid my share of all taxes whether I benefited from them or not.  Now it is my turn to receive.

As to a rebate to encourage citizens to improve their properties, why not?  As somebody else has already said, an improved property improves the value of the property next door, also.  I doubt that this rebate, if it becomes available in Elk County is going to cause a massive increase in home improvement.  I wish something would.  Elk County it such a good place to be, I wish everybody could take advantage of it.

Patriot, have you decided what to run for, yet?

srkruzich

Interesting the mindset that if you pay taxes for x number of years that one would expect to get money back.  Entitlement mindset.  So much for the grandiose gesture of paying taxes to "benefit" your fellow man mindset! 

Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Patriot

Quote from: Wilma on March 03, 2012, 10:45:01 AM
I paid my share of all taxes whether I benefited from them or not.  Now it is my turn to receive.

You got what you paid for.... roads & infrastructure, fire & police protection, etc.  What more do you think you're entitled to?

As to a rebate to encourage citizens to improve their properties, why not? 

In practice, due to participation thresholds, it will only benefit those who least need handouts... those who already 'have'.  Are you going to spend $10,100 of your wealth to add on to your house so you can get the rebate?

As somebody else has already said, an improved property improves the value of the property next door, also.

And, based on mill levies, it will increase the tax dollars the neighbor has to pay as well.

I doubt that this rebate, if it becomes available in Elk County is going to cause a massive increase in home improvement.

I agree... so what's the point in passing it... other than to give a free ride to someone planning to improve a runway or build a bunkhouse in association with a tourist operation?

Patriot, have you decided what to run for, yet?

Yes.

Wilma

Patriot

Quote from: Wilma on March 03, 2012, 01:09:23 PM
Would you care to share?

I think I've got some leftover fried chicken from dinner and some blankets.  If you're hungry or cold, I'll gladly share.  As for feeding your incessant need for the latest potential gossip & rumor, I'll pass.  How about we try to stay focused on current issues involving county management and tax rebates for the wealthy and the effects those might have on average taxpaying citizens.

Wilma

If you are going to run for public office, it will have to be made public sooner or later.  People that keep secrets never get my vote.

Patriot

Quote from: Wilma on March 03, 2012, 06:45:42 PM
People that keep secrets never get my vote.

Never?  I thought you voted on a regular basis.  Now, about those tax giveaways...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk