JOHNSON, Marian J. (Turner) - b. December 15, 1935 - d. January 23, 2012

Started by Roma Jean Turner, January 23, 2012, 12:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roma Jean Turner

Marian (Turner) Johnson passed away this morning in Wichita.  She graduated from high school In Moline.  Her father was Laurence Turner. He was the County Attorney a number of years ago. Marian and I were cousins.  More information will be available tomorrow.

Ole Granny

Sorry to hear this.  How are you and Bev doing?
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

Roma Jean Turner

Thank you.  We are at peace with it and most importantly, finally she is at peace.  Bev and I made all the arrangements at Zimmermans in Howard today.  Tony is just great to work with.  We will do a graveside service at 2:00 Thursday afternoon at the Moline Cemetery.

patyrn

Marian J. Johnson, age 76, a resident of Medicalodges Wichita, passed away Monday, January 23, 2912.  She was born on December 15, 1935 in Moline, Kansas, the daughter of Laurence Turner and Evelyn (Cleveland) Turner Dobbins.

Graveside funeral services will be held at 2:00 p.m. on Thursday, January 26, 2012 at the Moline3, Cemetery, Moline, Kansas.  Contributions may be made to Medicalodges Wichita Activity Fund and may be left with the funeral home.  Arrangements are under the direction of Countryside-Zimmerman Funeral Home, 206 E. Washington, Howard, Kansas 67349.

(taken from the Countryside Funeral Home website)

Diane Amberg

I'm so sorry for your loss.I gather she had been ill for some time.

Roma Jean Turner

Thank you Diane.   Just a corrections:  Marian's  mother was Evelyn (Cleveland) Turner Dobbins.

patyrn

Roma Jean - I made the changes to this site, and the obituary from Countryside-Zimmerman has been changed by them.  So sorry for your loss.

KRI

patyrn

Marian Johnson, age 76, died Monday, January 23, 2012 in Wichita, Kansas where she lived the last two years of her life having moved from Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania in January 2009 to be closer to family.  Marian was born December 15, 1935 in Moline, Kansas.  She grew up in Moline where she lived with her father until she graduated from Moline High School.  

Marian attended Oklahoma State University in Stillwater, Oklahoma for two years.  Throughout her life, Marian loved to travel and was fortunate to have visited Canada and traveled extensively throughout Europe, the Netherlands, and South America.  When she was in college, she majored in English Literature.  Her favorite author was Ernest Hemmingway.  When she died, there was a copy of "The Old Man in the Sea" on her bedside table.  Family will always remember Marian's beautiful hands which were a gift from her mother.  Her graceful and beautiful handwriting was the envy of all.  She always took care to dot all her "I's" with a little circle.  

Marian will be missed by her surviving maternal cousin, Beverly Leffingwell of Wichita, Kansas and her surviving paternal cousin, Roma Jean Turner of Moline, Kansas.  She is also survived by one brother, John Dobbins; maternal first cousins, Rosemary Santner of Leawood, Kansas, Nancy Shawver of Northglenn, Colorado, and John Leffingwell of Clearwater, Kansas; nine maternal second cousins and fifteen maternal third cousins; and cherished friends, Gretchen Letterman of Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania and Patricia Fox of Wichita, Kansas.  

Marian was preceded in death by her daughter, Jeannie Johnson of Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania; her father, Moline attorney Laurence Turner and mother, Evelyn Cleveland Dobbins; paternal grandparents, George H. Turner and Grace Martin Turner; and maternal grandparents, John Cleveland and Susie Dawson Cleveland Leffingwell.

Graveside funeral services were held on Thursday, January 26, 2012 at the Moline Cemetery in Moline, Kansas with Rev. Dr. Roma Jean Turner officiating with those nearest and dearest in attendance.  The service was followed by coffee and dessert at the Swinging Bridge Cafe in Moline.  

Family suggests memorial contributions be made to Medicalodges Wichita Activity Fund and may be sent to the funeral home.  Online condolences may be left for the family at www.countrysidefh.com.  Arrangements were under the direction of Countryside-Zimmerman Funeral Home, 206 E. Washington, Howard, Kansas 67349.

(published in the Prairie Star - 2/1/2012)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk