God's Heart for You.

Started by Judy Harder, September 13, 2011, 07:08:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Bringing God’s Heart for You to Life {Link up your reviews!} from
(in) courage
Sept 13, 2011

God’s Heart for You.

Four simple words with the power to lift us up from daily routines and struggles and remind us we are daughters of the King. Four simple words that have a unique meaning to each one of us. Four simple words that can create a shared bond between us all.

So… how do you pack all that into a product? How do you create something that shares the passion and meaning behind those words?  The answer is easy – you start with those four simple words. You start with the message. From there, the right design and format, combined with function, create a truly unique product that allows us to share our faith, inspire those around us, and bring meaningful beauty to the place we live.

At Blessings Unlimited, each one of our exclusive products begins with the message. It is the very foundation of all that we do. We were so excited when we found out Holley was writing a new book and couldn’t wait to start dreaming up product ideas for it! The items pictured here share the “God’s Heart for You” message in many different ways; a journal for writing, a decorative word block, small tokens, cards, and mugs.

Whether you use these products for yourself, give as gifts to a favorite friend, or both – it is our desire that surrounding yourself with these messages will be a reminder of who you are in God’s heart.

So… now that you know how we create products, how can you get them? All of our products, are sold exclusively through Consultants. Our Consultants are amazing women running their own business through Blessings Unlimited. Whether they choose to work full-time, earning a living, or part-time, for extra income, this opportunity let’s them create a business tailored to their lifestyle. A business that meets their needs, on their terms.

We are honored and excited to be on this journey of combining our faith and our work with this group of women. Visit our site for more information on this unique opportunity or to find a Consultant’s website and shop online.

If you are hosting a review on your blog of a God’s Heart for You item, link up your review below!

By: Lainie, Marketing Manager for Blessings Unlimited

Another Way He Loves

Before I stepped into this online world, I could have never imagined just how wonderful it would be. I didn’t understand it at first.  I wasn’t really sure what all the fuss was about. Friends with people I’ve never met? Really?

After being part of it and knowing … I wondered what took me so long!

The heartfelt counsel of a friend is as sweet as perfume and incense. Proverbs 27:9

It is like talking on the couch with a life long friend. I read their words and think to myself… oh my goodness… you too? They get it, I am not alone. They get me! A connection is made.

Friendships develop and spill over into real life. These online friendships are unexpected. These friendships are real. And since you are here online, I know you understand.

If one falls down, his friend can help him up. Ecclesiastes 4:10

We do life together. Across this big, beautiful world we are connected.

We pray together. We laugh together. We rejoice together. We cry together. We share our stories. Everyone has a story and everyone has something to teach. We listen and we learn. That is a beautiful thing.

A wise person will listen and continue to learn, and an understanding person will gain direction. Proverbs 1:5

Friendships. A blessing that adds joy to our lives. A blessing that can truly make our hearts happy. A gift to be cherished.

Just another way HE loves.

“I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness.” Jeremiah 31:3

Have you had those, “you too?” online moments that make you feel like you are not so alone? Isn’t it a beautiful thing?

By Jennifer, StudioJRU
:angel:

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

(in)courage

Invisibly Present

14 Sep 2011

I used to dread the days when my classmates had to select teammates during high school Phys Ed. If you're the no-so-athletic type, you've probably had many nail-biting moments where you silently begged God to not be the last pick.

Then came the day when I was not even picked. The people beside me were selected, but it was as though I were invisible.  Without the slightest effort on my part, I was passed over as though I wasn't even there.  I thought I was imagining things. Group after group went up for their allotted dodge ball round, while I sat off to the side with the others.  They were awaiting their turn; I was pretending to await my turn.  Then my friend realized that while everyone else seemed to play, I was still.

"Why aren't you playing?" she asked me.

Before I could answer, her eyes bulged out, and her hand flew over her mouth to hide her audible gasp.

"You were never picked!" With that statement, I was somewhat relieved that I wasn't imagining this situation.

I wondered how it was possible to stand in front of teenagers and adults and have absolutely no one notice me.  I was fully present in class that day.  I wasn't trying to hide or make excuses to get out of class.  I was there, but was given the treatment of one who was invisible. Nobody should have this experience.

It was awful.

But if God himself has taken up residence in your life, you can hardly be thinking more of yourself than of him.  Anyone, of course, who has not welcomed this invisible but clearly present God, the Spirit of Christ, won't know what we're talking about. [Romans 8:9, The Message Bible]

During my high school years, I sometimes made the choice to be invisible.  At school, in front of my peers, I kept my spiritual beliefs quiet, never wanting to be the odd one out.  While I didn't act like a rebel during school hours, I didn't look for ways to speak up or be an active witness for God either.  I mistakenly thought I was doing more good than harm by not standing out.  I was more concerned about myself; how I looked.

That awful feeling I had in gym class?  That's exactly what I was doing to God by keeping Him invisible in my life.

Thankfully, I have grown up since high school.  I am no longer afraid to say that God does indeed live in me, and plays a major role in my life.  His effect is so huge that I couldn't hide it even if I tried.  I've learned that it's okay to not have all the deeply spiritual answers for all possible questions.  I know Who to point people to for their answers.  I don't stay invisible, putting a damper on God. Everyone should experience the joyous embrace of God's love, mercy and grace.

God may be invisible, but I choose to be intentional about His presence in my life.

By Sabrina, ...And Then Some!
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

(in)courage

(in)Real Life

Sep 15 2011

If it hadn't been for blogging, we would have passed right by each other without a second thought.

That winter night in the coffee shop, as I waited for my husband to finish up a conversation with a colleague of his, I stood on the edge of a small crowd gathered for an event that was just wrapping up. I shifted my weight from one foot to the other and tried to blend in to the wall behind me. I was not dressed for public viewing.

It had been a long day, and I'd thrown on my winter coat – the one I called The Big Ugly – wrapped a scarf around my neck, and shoved my feet into what could arguably win a prize for the worst looking snow boots you've ever laid eyes on. I'd ventured out into the knee-deep snow with no makeup and no memory of the last time a comb had touched my head that day. It was just supposed to be a quick trip around the block, and then we'd be done.

But my husband's conversation seemed endless and so I rolled my shoulders forward just a bit more. The legs of a chair scraped across the wood planks of the floor and as I turned in the direction of the sound, my eyes caught sight of the cheerful colors of a woman's corduroy jacket. She was stunning. Tall and slim with hair that flipped up perfectly – right above her shoulders, just so. She was chatting with someone and I let my gaze slip away.

That's when my husband's conversation ended and he rescued me, saying he was ready to go. "Finally!" I thought to myself. "I can make a clean getaway without being noticed in this get up." I inched myself sideways along the wall, headed for the door and the anonymity of the cold outdoors when the stunning woman in the corduroy jacket walked over and said, "Excuse me, but...are you...are you Deidra?"

"Oh no," I thought, as I turned and stood facing the woman who obviously knew how to dress for a coffee shop. "I read your blog," she was saying. "I'm Michelle. Michelle DeRusha. I blog at Graceful." But she didn't need to say any of that. After she said her name was Michelle, I knew exactly who she was. I'd been following her blog and leaving comments, and she'd been leaving comments at my blog and there in the comment box, we'd been growing a friendship. Now, in the crowded corner of our local coffee shop, we were standing face-to-face.

Turns out, Michelle and I live about two miles from each other. Two. Miles! And the person she is on her blog is the person she is in real life. Only funnier. If you can believe that. (I keep telling her she should do stand-up.) That meeting in the coffee shop happened nearly two years ago and since then we've traveled together to Alabama, our families have shared dinner in each other's homes, and we've mourned and celebrated and conspired together. Sometimes I just shake my head in wonder when I realize that if it hadn't been for blogging, Michelle and I would have passed right by each other that night in the coffee shop. Without a second thought.

Have you ever had one of those moments? Where you meet in person someone you've only known through status updates, and profile pictures, and comments, and blog posts? How did it happen? Was your meet-up planned, or were you pleasantly surprised, like me?

By: Deidra, Jumping Tandem

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Life to the Full...Together

Sep 16 2011

I slip my toes into water and sand along the shoreline. Above me a moon spreads light like frosting on the water. Behind me the chatter of late night conversation spills out.

I'm in Hilton Head, South Carolina with many of the (in)courage writers.

It's our last night here and we're already feeling the tug toward home. But for now we're having a dessert picnic on the beach, passing around plates of brownies, chocolate cake, slivers of pie.

We've stayed in two beautiful houses, the kind where you can put your sandy, dirty feet on the coffee table anyway. We've dreamed and planned for this next year with our (in)courage community. We've ridden bikes down the beach, carrying sea shells home in our baskets. We've eaten wonderful meals that made us lean back in our chairs with happy sighs. And we've launched long-anticipated surprises.

Through it all, we felt you with us.

Last year and this one too, I had a moment when I walked across the little pathway to our beach, over a sand dune, and happy tears slipped out of my eyes as a I caught a glimpse of these women because it felt so much like a glimpse of heaven. And so much like what happens here on these pages.

It's been two years since we flung open the doors of this online beach house, handed you a key, and welcomed you inside. Two years of sharing our lives, laughter, even tears. Two years of God's goodness and faithfulness. Two years of dreaming together.

And the best is yet to be.

As I stare out over the ocean with my (in)courage sisters around me, I know with all my heart this is true.

I turn and begin to reach down to gather plates from upheld hands.

I smile at bits of frosting, crumbs of chocolate, the last traces of whipped cream.

I think of the supper the disciples shared with Jesus and I smile.

Because this is what I pray every day–that there will be words that feed all of the hungry hearts who come. And when I pray, it's not just for bread. Not just for manna. Oh, no, my friends. I ask for words that are like cupcakes, like the most delicious piece of chocolate cake you've ever eaten, like the most wonderful thing you can imagine.

Abundant life.

That's what we're promised.

And that's so much of the reason we're here in this place together.

Because all of life, every last bite, is so much sweeter when savored together.

Thank you for being here. Thank you for the comments you leave. Thank you for the joy of sharing this journey with you.

I walk into the beach house with a smile on my face, empty plates in my hands and a heart that's full...so very full.

–Holley Gerth

{with thanks to Dawn Camp and Emily Freeman for the amazing photos}
———————————————————–

Living a Life of Significance

Sep 16 2011

My hands were sweaty and my mouth was dry. I wish I felt butterflies in my stomach, but it was more like birds flying from one rib cage to the next.

I sat in a crowded room watching a popular United States Senator as he stood center stage giving a speech. I jotted down his words, frantic I would miss something of value for our small town newspaper. I wasn't qualified to be there. I was filling in for my more experienced editor. The senator had been on CNN the day before and Fox News earlier in the week. Those interviewers knew the right points to address, but my scribbled questions were written down as Sesame Street blared in the background. I prayed they made sense.

And when his speech concluded, grown men clamored for his attention. Cameras flashed as this popular man posed shoulder to shoulder with admirers. When he finished, we sat in comfortable chairs eye to eye. Luckily my nerves subsided and he was kind and easy to talk to.  But in his presence I couldn't help but feel insignificant, this man of influence in an expensive suit and a watchful entourage.  And I rested in my size seven clearance flats bought at Target. I felt for a pen at the bottom of my purse. My hand slid past the rubber end of a pacifier and a slick plastic bag of diaper wipes.

And for a moment I wished I was a person of influence, that I was wealthy or authoritative. Or maybe I wished I was taller or that I had a more impressive resume. I reveled in my own ordinary skin.  Thoughts surfaced of how I often shrink into the background and I don't raise my hand to answer questions in large groups.

And as I backed out of the parking lot that day God quietly reminded me that there is great significance in my own little world.

As wives and mothers our words are weighty.   Strung together they strengthen and build character. When our world screams that is beauty is of the utmost importance, we have the chance to speak truth, that beauty is woven through stepping aside and putting others needs before our own. Beauty is giving instead of taking. Beauty loves when it's not deserved.

Proverbs 31: 28-29

Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.

Our value and significance will never come from a job or an accomplishment. Who we truly are comes from a wooden, splintered cross, thrust into the ground. And it's there we surrender who we are, our nice and pleasantries alongside our greed and selfishness and we give it to Him. And in return God so graciously gives us a life of meaning and purpose and significance.

By Amanda Dodson, amanda d
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

in)courage

On Cultivating Heart Strings

Sep 17 2011

THERE IS SOMETHING SPECIAL about real life.

It's not just the laughter you can see instead of just hear (or read).
It's not the twinkle in a friend's eye.

It's more than the touch or the hug or the wiping away of tears.

It's that we were created for it.
To mingle our spirits together
and with Him.

To be fully full of His love
so we can give it away.

And friends, those on the other end of those strings flung out from your heart?
They are the very best way to be with God.
Their prayers make yours better.
Their love makes yours deeper.
Their Jesus makes yours real.

In the flesh, Spirit-friends.
God's gift to us, sisters.
Cultivate them.
Honor them.
Love them.

By Arianne, To Think Is To Create

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

(in)courage

How Not to Get Lost in Translation

18 Sep 2011

For two years I lived in a country where most of the time I couldn't understand what was being said around me.

They call Russian God's language because it takes an eternity to learn. I found this to be true while we lived in Ukraine. And on Sundays we would sit through two hour services catching only a word here or there that made sense to us.

It was humbling. And also frustrating.

But some Sundays there would be a worship song I recognized. A tune that was familiar and had drifted across the ocean from English and been translated into Cyrillic. When that happened I didn't need to be able to read the words. I knew them by heart. And my happy voice would sing the English alongside the Russian and rejoice in the familiar as if I'd just bumped into an old friend from home in the sanctuary.

One Sunday I was singing and then I wasn't.

I found the words froze on my lips as I discovered the strangest thing. Right there in number 5 Studenskaya street standing next to Lessya Orlyuk it hit me – God understands Russian. He doesn't need the English version. It's all familiar to Him. I'm not sure why I would have thought otherwise, or why this discovery surprised me so much. But it did.

I was awestruck.

God speaks Russian.

And the realizations kept coming hard and fast.

God speaks Spanish.

God speaks French.

God speaks Swahili.

God is not limited by language, borders, or translators.

God is a symphony of understanding.

That was six years ago. At about the same time Shaun Groves was discovering the same thing. That God speaks languages and makes music that we might not always understand.

That God is already in the places that we are just now demanding He pay attention to.

Six years later Shaun has led seven Compassion international blogging trips into countries, cultures, languages and circumstances that most of us can't begin to understand.

Shaun has helped translate for us.

Translate the third world into first world speak. Translate our wealth into an understanding of our spiritual poverty.

Translate what hurts us into relationships with kids that can heal us.

Translate all that we take for granted into an understanding of all that we should not.

Seven (in)courage bloggers have made those trips with Shaun over the years. I got to go with him to Guatemala last year. Many of you came with us – reading, commenting, sponsoring the kids Compassion introduced us to.

And Shaun? He has translated these travels and the people he's met into music. And like only music can, it bridges the gaps in our understanding.

Come, come and meet us here

Come and touch our tears

And we will weep no more

Come, come and meet our pain

Come and lift our lame

And we will limp no more

Come and we will want no more.

Come By Here by shaungroves

He calls it Third World Symphony. And when you listen to the lyrics you'll understand that you're also woven into this beautiful testament to the place where first world meets third and we discover that the same God sings through us all.

In Russian.

In Chinese.

In Xhosa.

In English.
With grateful thanks to Shaun, for faithfully translating the messages that matter.

By Lisa-Jo Baker, Gypsy Mama, Compassion International blogger, and owner of too many tubes of toothpaste.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

(in)courage

Hello Everyone!
Unlikely Friendships
Flying Above The Storm
Hello Everyone!

19 Sep 2011

Well I have to say I am super excited about sharing this book with you all, and it isn't even because I wrote it (honest!). I have found that in the areas where I have the most insecurity, there is also the potential for the best community and I hope that's the case with this book.

I have a feeling that each of you can relate to at least one of the fears that are discussed in the book, even if you went into it thinking you wouldn't. I can't wait to see what sticks out to you as important and worthy of fleshing out together, and I really can't wait to read all of your comments and thoughts on each chapter.

We had a BLAST filming these, and while some faces (shhh! We aren't announcing who will be with us, so you'll have to tune in each week to see. But I will say they are a bunch of amazing ladies:)) may be familiar, others might not. We chose women we thought could represent those fears the best based on their life stories, and they did not disappoint.

My prayer for this study is twofold-firstly I pray that you feel safe here among your fellow sojourners, and I also hope that you are willing to stick your neck out and share some of the shadows in your life that may have been haunting you for years. My friend Heather talks about "the gift of going first," and I think it's true. Oftentimes we aren't courageous enough to be the first one at the microphone, but we ease up when we see we aren't alone. We've done the hard work for you, and left the door wide open for you to find yourself a comfy spot beside us.

There are some misconceptions about fear that I think are worth looking at, as well as one  fear we are actually called to have. I really do pray that you will bless us with your thoughts as we go through each, all the while sharing our hearts and our stories with open arms.

It's an honor to be on this side of the book club, and I can't wait to jump in with all of you phenomenal ladies. Please know I am praying for each of you and am EAGER to hear from you. Let's face these battles together, arms linked and always relying on the only One we know can get us to the finish line.

Lord, we love you and we pray that You are blessed by the weeks to come as we seek to know You and Your perfect will for our lives...

Sola Gratia,

Angie

Unlikely Friendships

19 Sep 2011

"So... how do you guys know each other?" Awkward pause.

"From... the Internet." Smiles and head shakes inevitably followed.

I've had this sort of conversation before, but this particular one was this past March, when some visiting friends of ours came to church with us. They were in town for SxSW Interactive, a well-known tech conference in Austin. We'd known each other about three years—online. But this particular week was the first time we met, face-to-face.

And it wasn't weird at all, just like the many, many people I've been blessed to meet in the flesh after first knowing them online. Be it Simple Mom readers, a Twitter interaction, or some other virtual "bump in," the Internet has exploded my world by shrinking it into shared tables at the local coffee shop; playdates at the park. Book clubs.

Facebook and Twitter don't replace touchable, 3-D relationships, for sure. But they sure can be the start of them.

• When I think of community, I think of friends I've had since college, with whom I still love deeply. We hug each other when we can, even though most of us are scattered worldwide.

• When I think of community, I think of the local church, where I can know people in my own town, and they me. Together, we can break bread over the backyard grill and pour into each other's souls as we watch our kids tumble together in the grass.

• And when I think of community, I think of the people I've grown to love—and know in the flesh, oftentimes—because of this relatively recent invention called the World Wide Web.

I've been blessed to veg in a hotel room, chatting with Nester. I've ridden in a chandelier-shaking bus on bumpy Filipino roads with Emily, Kat, Stephanie, Lindsay, Shaun, and Keely. And I've heard Melissa scream my ear off as I sat in her lap down an alpine slide in Park City.

The editors I work with daily have become so dear to me, even though we haven't spent much time together in the flesh. I've met most of the people that write for my site—not all yet—and they each mean as much to me as local friends and neighbors.

And I look at the avatars of the many of you I've yet to meet—but long to—and I smile. I smile, because I know a small part of you, thanks to electric signals and a bunch of ones and zeroes. And even though I probably won't meet most of you in the flesh here on Earth, we'll eventually meet one day... Lord-willing.

Community online doesn't replace community in "real" life. But it can enrich your life, both in breadth and in depth. While you love on your kids at home, a few clicks of the mouse can bring you encouragement from another mom, across the world, right in the trenches with you, too. And sometimes, the Internet also introduces you to friends—real friends, friends you'd otherwise never meet.

Today, I'm thankful for the Internet, because it's sprinkled the community in my life with flavor. And for that, I'm eternally grateful.

How has the Internet surprised you with a community you'd never expect?

By Tsh of Simple Mom

Flying Above The Storm

Posted: 18 Sep 2011 11:10 PM PDT

I had a very surreal experience flying back to Connecticut from Dallas a few weekends ago. It's almost a 4 hour flight and I was getting restless. The in-flight movie was a dud. The ipod wasn't keeping me interested. And I couldn't get comfortable enough to sleep longer than 20 minutes. I did have a great book, but it was the last hour of the flight and there really wasn't anything that could hold my attention at this point.

Until... I looked out the window.

I always sit at the window when flying. I like having the wall to lean on and I like having a view (not to mention control of the window shade). I've seen fireworks happening while on a late night flight a few years ago. I've seen priceless views of land and water. And flying through giant cotton ball type of clouds is still pretty cool to witness. But this particular view was a first for me while flying.

The captain came on the intercom to announce that he was going to have to take another route in order to miss a mega storm system that was hitting Connecticut pretty bad. The next half hour or so, was amazing to witness. As many times as I've seen lightening, I've never watched it's amazement while looking down upon it. Flying on top of, and around a storm was incredible. You could easily see beautiful blue sky on one side, and dark, ominous clouds with sheets of rain and lightening on the other. And those of us on flight 342 were somewhere in between the two.

I had an epiphany at that moment.

Most of us are usually in between serenity and a storm on any given day/week/month/year. We prefer the clear blue sky, but the storms come without much warning, and are inevitable. Our pilot had received a head's up from air traffic control that we were approaching a pretty bad storm that might make for complications with our flight. So, he was able to bypass the problem area. However, in real life, we aren't always able to take such a detour. I started thinking about how bad the rain, wind, thunder and lightening was to those on the ground. (If I could see a wall of rain from where I was in the sky, I could imagine how yuck it must have been for those actually having to drive through it, etc.) But, I was in the fortunate position of being able to see the other side of the storm. I could see that it would pass soon enough, and just on the other side of it was serenity again. It truly was an odd experience to be able to see both (the crazy and the calm) at the same time.

It made me think about how the storms in my life eventually came to an end, and though I felt like the rain lasted forever, looking back, all I remember is that we got through it. Sometimes the storm lasted a week, sometimes it lasted a year (or more). But as quickly as time goes by, in the grand scheme of things, the storm was only a chapter.... not the whole story.

I bet if our plane had been forced to fly through the big, bad storm it would have been a very nerve-wrecking flight! Bumpy. Panic inducing. Worrisome. And if the turbulence was bad enough, we may be tempted to think we wouldn't make it through!

I can think of a few (ok, many!) times in my 30 years that resemble that description.

But flying above the storm I could see that it would eventually be over. I was reminded that the rain does eventually stop. And the lightening, though damaging in some cases, can also be beautiful when looked at from a different perspective. Serene, blue sky is always waiting on the other side.

Just another reason I love the window seat.

By Kasey Krawiec, aka: Ethan's Mommy

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

(in)courage

Sleep Over

Sep  20 2011

Two years ago, my daughter and I started a new tradition we call "Mommy Sleep-Over." It's pretty simple. I bring my my pillows into my daughter's room, pull out the trundle part of her trundle bed, and spend the night in a fairy's paradise.

Of course, the evening only ends with sleeping. First, we go out for a treat ... usually something of the chocolate variety. Then, we do something girly (as if eating chocolate together and giggling is not girly enough), like put on temporary princess tattoos or paint our toenails, or play "hair stylist."

Oh and we talk.

And even though she's only seven, the conversation some times gets deep. We talk about school, about how life was in the "old days" (circa 1982) and how she feels scared every now and then but does not really know why.

I know there may come a day when she will find this tradition "lame."

But I also know that the day will come when she sees these play dates as what they really were meant to be ... a lesson of community.

I actually did not set out to have the sleep-overs to teach her about community. Our tradition started because we had just moved and she was apprehensive about being in a new bed ... in a new bedroom ... in a new house (Oh yeah, and in a new city ... and new state ... three weeks before starting Kindergarten). She needed to be comforted, but in a non invasive, subtle way.

With each sleep-over, we unknowingly studied the importance of being an authentic community member. We learned more about what it means to be a good listener, a comforter, a practical joke cohort, a dream enabler and an encourager.

Authentic community is strong. It requires commitment, but can grow regardless of gaps in age. It can bless even at a distance.

As I think about past and future sleep-overs with my daughter, I think about my sweet (in)courage sisters who went to Hilton Head for a huge sleep-over of sorts. Oh the fun they had! Although I was not able to attend the gathering, I am richly blessed just knowing that my sweet (in)sisters had the opportunity to look each other in the eyes as they talked, laughed, ate, dreamed, schemed, played and dance.

I am also thinking about the upcoming community experience in April. While there are no beaches in the Mid-Ohio Valley, I am thrilled thinking of ways to bring the surf to Marietta. I'll confess, I miss the real beach and get giddy at the thought of recreating it (and about making Samoa cupcakes) ... but more importantly, I am looking forward to spending face-to-face time with my (in)community ... (in)Real Life.

Will you be attending an (in)Real Life event? Which one? If so, what are you looking forward to the most?

Angela Nazworth is "starting over" in the blog world at AngelaNazworth.com where she writes about the freedom that comes with embracing your true identity in Christ.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

This is a personal message from me, Judy. Is this a posting you all are reading and want to continue to read. I like it, but am unsure if anyone besides me is reading. What say YOU?  :angel:Judy(in)courage

What Women Fear {Good Reads Gift Basket Giveaway!}

Sep 21 2011

"..Vivid, profoundly biblical, yet girlfriend real with just-the-medicine-you-need-funny, every page is reviving hope for every women. Simply, Angie Smith is a Bible teacher for such a time as this." -Ann Voskamp

We are beyond thrilled to walk through our very own Angie Smith's new book, What Women Fear. So thrilled, in fact, that we couldn't help but offer up a basket of goodies to celebrate the launch of the book study. Join us each week as Angie, Jessica, and a special guest discuss a new chapter of the book {view the full schedule and details here}.

All you have to do is tune in here each week to join in on the study! What Women Fear  is only $10 right now– you can grab your copy right here.  There are many women who want to join in on this study and you can make that happen by purchasing a sponsor book.  When you purchase two books you can receive free shipping with coupon code BLOOMBOOK. If you have any questions about sponsoring a book, check out our FAQ page.

We're delighted to be giving away FIVE goody baskets that include the items you see below, plus a  "What Women Fear" t-shirt!

Enter to win this What Women Fear Gift Basket:

Faith- Premium Leather Journal
Walk by Faith Assortment Set
What Women Fear T-Shirt (you can see it modeled here)
A copy of What Women Fear
To enter, just leave a comment below sharing a fear you hope to overcome. We'll announce the winners on Bloom this Friday.

Walking in faith with you,

the Bloom (in)courage team

Dark But Lovely

Song of Solomon is one of those books in the bible that beckons me to read more. No... it's not the over-the-top analogies that draw my interest (read: "Your teeth are like a flock of sheep just shorn, coming up from the washing." That's in there. I promise) but I find myself intrigued by the love story being poured out over the pages. Fresh-shorn-sheep-talk and all.

As of late, this particular portion of the book has been pulling at my heart:

I am dark, but lovely,
O daughters of Jerusalem,
Like the tents of Kedar,
Like the curtains of Solomon.
Do not look upon me, because I am dark...
-Song of Solomon 1:5-6

Here we see a bride acknowledging her condition...her darkness (which is obviously something she is not proud of ) and then, in the very same sentence, she acknowledges her loveliness.

Could this be the beautiful paradox that is God's grace?

I can relate to this woman. In my own eyes I am very dark. So dark in fact, that like the bride in the story, I often find myself wanting to say "do not look upon me". Here's the truth. The ugly truth:

I am sin-stained and selfish. I am impatient and judgmental. I am one who often feels small with no big impact in this world. I strive for perfection but in my striving I miss out on what really matters. It is obvious. I am so very dark. Sometimes "pitch-black" would probably be a better description. Ouch. The truth hurts.

But that's not the end of my story and it's not the end of your's, either!

Now let us insert God's grace. His beautiful and undeserved sweet song of grace. Because of Him, I am not left alone in my darkness. He could have left me that way. After all, I deserved it:

"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus."
-Romans 3:23-24

Pitch black, broken, hurting, angry, ashamed...but instead of leaving me in my condition, He gave me Jesus. I have sinned and fallen SO short but I am justified by His grace! Jesus makes me lovely. Even in my sin. Even in my striving. Even in my many imperfections...

When I fall into the melody of His grace, I am lovely and sweet friends, please believe me when I tell you that YOU are lovely, too!

By Ida Mundell, from Eat Drink and Be Jesus

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

in)courage

(in)courage

Savoring Time Together

Sep 22 2011

About three and a half years ago, my husband Matthew told me that his friend Matt's fiance Alyson, was moving to Nashville. He went on to say that he thought she and I would get along really well.

I expected that I probably would like her. Afterall, Matthew is a good judge of character.

But I didn't expect that I would love her and that she would turn out to be one of my best friends in Nashville.

And I certainly didn't expect that three years later, when she moved away to North Carolina, I would be so sad every time I thought about her.

But that is where I am today.

Alyson just moved from Nashville to North Carolina.

And I really miss her.

From the moment we met three years ago, we were kindred spirits. Sisters. The kind of friends that just get one another.

And now that she is 7 hours away, I regret that I didn't savor our time together more.

I guess I assumed that she would always be here.

I imagined our kids would grow up together. We'd take pictures at soccer games, dance recitals, prom nights and graduations. We would be there for the good and the bad.

Our Kids - Max, Elias and Adeline

In this season of my life, God has been teaching me to savor moments and relationships more.

A lunch with a friend is a blessing to cherish, not just an excuse to gab.

A bible study with trusted friends is a gift, not an agenda item.

A text message from a friend is a reminder that you are valued.

This week, take extra time to cherish the moments with your friends that live near and far. Thank God for phone calls and playdates, coffees and text messages and let loved ones know you care.

Have you had a friend or family member move away? Or maybe you were the one to move? How did you keep your relationship strong?

Note: This post was written earlier this month, before my dear friend Sara (our own Gitz) started hospice and is on her journey home. In this last week and a half, as we have prepared our hearts for Sara to be in the arms of the Father, this concept of savoring time has been on my heart even more. (I guess God knew that would be the case when I wrote this post about Alyson...) We only have one life to love people well and savor time together. To read more about choosing joy and celebrating Sara, click here.

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk