burnt biscuit

Started by readyaimduck, August 07, 2011, 01:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

readyaimduck

This is a copy and paste, but I thought everyone should read and share.

When I was a kid, my Mom liked to make breakfast food for dinner every now and then. And I remember one night in particular when she had made breakfast after a long, hard day at work. On that evening so long ago, my Mom placed a plate of eggs, sausage and extremely burned biscuits in front of my dad. I remember waiting to see if anyone noticed!

Yet all my dad did was reach for his biscuit, smile at my Mom and ask me how my day was at school. I don't remember what I told him that night, but I do remember watching him smear butter and jelly on that ugly burned biscuit. He ate every bite of that thing... never made a face nor uttered a word about it!

When I got up from the table that evening, I remember hearing my Mom apologize to my dad for burning the biscuits. And I'll never forget what he said: "Honey, I love burned biscuits every now and then."

Later that night, I went to kiss Daddy good night and I asked him if he really liked his biscuits burned. He wrapped me in his arms and said, "Your Momma put in a hard day at work today and she's real tired. And besides - a little burned biscuit never hurt anyone!"

As I've grown older, I've thought about that many times. Life is full of imperfect things and imperfect people. I'm not the best at hardly anything, and I forget birthdays and anniversaries just like everyone else. But what I've learned over the years is that learning to accept each other's faults - and choosing to celebrate each other's differences - is one of the most important keys to creating a healthy, growing, and lasting relationship.

And that's my prayer for you today... that you will learn to take the good, the bad, and the ugly parts of your life and lay them at the feet of God. Because in the end, He's the only One who will be able to give you a relationship where a burnt biscuit isn't a deal-breaker!

We could extend this to any relationship. In fact, understanding is the base of any relationship, be it a husband-wife or parent-child or friendship!

"Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket – keep it in your own."

So, please pass me a biscuit, and yes, the burned one will do just fine.

Judy Harder

Thank you for this reminder. IF we practice smiling and being kinder the world OR that person that benefits by knowing a kind word, will pass that feeling along and soon the whole world, ok, mostly ourselves will reap such a reward.
Toleration is such a "good thing"  Thanks again!
:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Wilma

Doesn't doing something nice for someone else make you feel good?  Makes me wonder, am I holding this door open to help you or to make myself feel good?

readyaimduck

QuoteMakes me wonder, am I holding this door open to help you or to make myself feel good?

Depends on your upbringing, Wilma and the truths you hold to be true....what if it is the devil in disguise (or Judy in music)  ;D
that is walking before you...Would you still open the door?

I think one knows when they should and when they should not.....just on principal alone!.

We are not God.  And we make decicions with only the information we have...
"I baked some burnt cookies for you, Wilma...."   sorry

ready  (perhaps that last statement was uncalled for, yet do you see what my take is?)

readyaimduck

....and thank you Judy!

srkruzich

Quote from: readyaimduck on August 07, 2011, 03:37:00 PM
Depends on your upbringing, Wilma and the truths you hold to be true....what if it is the devil in disguise (or Judy in music)  ;D
that is walking before you...Would you still open the door?

Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

I would say just entertain and let God worry about the devil.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

readyaimduck

QuoteI would say just entertain and let God worry about the devil.

Now that is good advise, Steve.  We sometimes forget we has humans are not really in control.

greatguns

We need more of your Dad's kind in the world today. :)

Teresa

I loved that ready..........
I saved it...
Thanks.... :)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Roma Jean Turner

Yes, great story and lesson.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk