Did You Know.....

Started by Warph, June 10, 2011, 11:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

Quote from: Judy Harder on June 23, 2011, 05:57:30 AM
I loved anything Chief Dan George was in. Didn't he also do a commercial later in life that had to do with polution/or forest fires.
Now, I know Smokey Bear was forest spokesman............but if I remember right. Chief Dan George did one with an eagle flying over his country with all the improvement and all the chemical polution............and then he shed a tear................broke my heart.

You are thinking of Iron Eyes Cody, Judy....
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

W. Gray

Iron Eyes Cody was, perhaps, the best Indian impersonator to come down the pike.

He was born in the USA of Sicilian parents.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Judy Harder

Thanks Waldo.....knew you would find what I was talking about.
I grew up with cowboy and indians and almost always was an indian when we kids played.
My complection says there could be indian in us, but we  can't find it anywhere.....maybe it
was one of those story's that didn't get talked about.
I love this commercial............it is so meaningful.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

larryJ

Warph, wasn't me............not guilty............

Jarhead, I did have a choice the first day of service, army or marines.  However, I would have to serve an extra year (at that time) and that was a no-no.  I could have been a warrant officer and fly helos, but that required an extra year of service.........same no-no.  As far as dating a WAC.............nope, I once tried to date a doughnut dolly, but most doughnut dollies were only interested in the officers.  There was one who dated a friend, one of the other medics in the clinic, and they evened dated after their service was over.  i almost had a shot at dating a USO girl, but she rotated out before I could make my move. 

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

jarhead

i almost had a shot at dating a USO girl, but she rotated out before I could make my move. 

Larry,
I'm still trying to process that statement .  ;D

Warph

Found my "Y".... some troll was sitting on it.

--Warph

-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Warph

Snooki from "Jersey Shore" is technically a dwarf.

Standing at a height of 4'9", Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi just barely passes the standard definition of dwarfism, which is an adult height at or below 4'10".... the advocacy group "Little People of America" also marks this as the standard cutoff.  Just don't call her a midget!  "Dwarf" or "little person" are terms that are typically deemed to be acceptable; "midget" is widely regarded to be quite offensive.

Source:  http://kidshealth.org/parent/growth/growth/dwarfism.html

More on Snooki: http://www.usmagazine.com/moviestvmusic/news/snooki-weighed-just-80-pounds-while-battling-eating-disorder-2010191

--Warph

-- Warph

larryJ

Whoops!  Sorry, Jarhead, I forgot you were a marine!  Just kidding!  Hey, did I ever tell you my marine joke? ;)

It was at a USO club one afternoon and one of the girls got on the microphone and announced it was 4:00 in the afternoon.  She said, "that's 1600 hours for your Army and Air Force personnel, eight bells for you sailors and for you marines, Mickey's little hand is on the four.......................

Larryj (don't get mad, one of my best friends is a retired Marine.  But then, I have never told him that joke!)

P.S.  "rotated out" meant she left to go back to the states.  Where was your mind going with that one?

P.S.S  (Hey, Sarge, was that a good joke or what?")
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Diane Amberg

There are some biological differences between true "Midgets" and Dwarfs. Midgets are perfectly proportioned but are just small. Dwarfs have normal sized heads and chests but have shorter than normal arms, stubby legs, hands and feet and may have internal organ placement problems because of genetic differences.
I had occasion to have a couple of each when I was teaching full time. I had one little girl whose whole family had genetic problems that went back for many generations. All were very short and not proportioned normally, but also had the misfortune of having no opposing thumbs, just 5 fingers. Arlene also had very oddly underdeveloped legs from the knee down. They were much too short. She expected to not be able to walk at all as an adult. I saw her recently and after several surgeries, she is walking with two canes for balance and has learned to manage pretty well without thumbs. She has "assisting devices" to help her out in public ,has electric can openers at home and has all the doors on their house set up with levers rather than knobs. Her little girl is normal ,but no thumbs. That genetic trait is still being passed along.

Wilma

Diane, I want to thank you for sharing with us one of the triumphs that we don't hear about.  Here in the middle of rural Kansas, we don't get to see much of the little people, so have no first hand experience with them.  I can't help but think that they are related to the leprechauns, who in my book are cute and funny and sassy.  And maybe, just maybe, among my ancestors.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk