Abbott Manassas Lee

Started by navygirl, March 05, 2011, 02:19:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

navygirl

Abbott Mannassas Lee was born 1842 in Illinois, moved to Kansas, buried at Netawaka cemetary in Jackson County.  Sept. 2009 frawin replied to "Where am I in Chautauqua county". The answer was--my Great Aunt's husband Abbott Manassas Lee was in the Union Army and probably belonged to the GAR at Leeds. We are trying to find out who his father was. He was born in Illinois.  Linda B

ddurbin

Found a lot about Abbott on Ancestry.com  Maybe this article will help you some.
Abbott Manassas Lee was born in Cole County, Illinois, March 23, 1842. His father, Edward Levi Lee, was born in Shanandoah County, Virginia, in 1810 and later came to Cole, Illinois, where he died. Edward Levi Lee and his seven brothers enlisted and fought on the union side in the Civil War. One brother, Price, was killed in the Civil War. Abbott Manassas' mother was Elizabeth Nichols, who after the death of Edward Levi moved to Missouri and then was driven by rebels to Ft. Scott, Kansas.

Abbott Manassas Lee was a direct descendent of the Lee's of Cotton of Shopshire, England, founded by John Lee. St. Mary's church in Aveley, near Cotton Hall, has the 14th Century Arms of John Lee. Later in the Lee family history, Henry C. Lee 1691 - 1747 married Mary Bland. From this union came the Leesylvania Lees of whom Abbott Manassas Lee is a descendent. Abbott Lee's grandfather was a brother of "Light Horse Harry" Henry Lee; and his father was a first cousin to Robert E. Lee.

Abbott Manassas Lee married Amanda Catherine Wynn or Winn, who was born August 19, 1849, in Marion County, Illinois. She came to Kansas with her parents in 1858 and married Abbott Manassas Lee in 1868 at the age of 19.

The first three years of their marriage they lived in Donovan County and then moved to the homestead near Leeds, Kansas, about 1871, where they lived and raised a large family strong in the Baptist faith.

They planted fruit trees on their homestead; and when the trees bore fruit, they took it into their other counties, even into Oklahoma. During most of the years on the homestead, Abbott and Amanda lived in a small home, but later planned and built a two room upstairs and two room downstairs with a large hallway that went down the center from front to back. The upstairs stairway ascended from the front of the hallway. A country kitchen was to be added across the back, but because of Abbott's failing eyesight, it was never completed. It was believed he lost his sight from the insecticide mist he got in his eyes as he sprayed the fruit trees on the farm.

Abbott Manassas and Amanada Catherine Wynn Lee had fifteen children - eleven grew to adulthood. The children included four sets of twins; however, one set of twins died at birth and one girl of another set of twins died at the age of two of whooping cough. In 1921 they went to live with their daughter Louella Lee Shrader and her husband Herman Shrader.

Abbott Manassas Lee died May 25, 1922 and Amanda Catherine Wynn Lee, his wife, died May 30, 1934. 

Harperap1added this on 22 Jan 2011Provided by Carl McGlasson, great-grandson of Abbott and Amanda Lee

ddurbin

Here's another story about Abbott from Ancestry
At the age of 19, Abbott answere his country's call for volunteers in the Civil War and enlisted in Company D, 32nd Iowa Volunteer Infantry, on August 14, 1862. He was discharged on May 16, 1865, at Davenport, Iowa. Aboott had six brothers in the Civil War, and one, Brice Lee, died while in service.

Mr. Lee was blind for a number of years. He lost his eyesight while cultivating corn. A blade of corn stalk hit him in one eye, and this resulted in the loss of sight in both eyes.

Abbott Lee passed away in 1922 and Amanda Lee in 1934. Both are buried in Netawaka Cemetary in a lot which the government gave to David A. Winn because he was a lieutenant in the army.

David A. Winn, father of Amanda, was born October 26, 1814, and died June 16, 1880. He is buried in the same lot in Netawaka Cemetary. 

Sarah (Beavers) Winn was born February 8, 1825, and died August 30, 1892. She is buried in Redmond Cemetary near her son Daniel Winnm in Udall, Kansas.

Harperap1added this on 22 Jan 2011Excerpted from an article written by Dolly McGlasson, granddaughter of Abbott and Amanda Lee

frawin

Thanks Dan, I thought I had received some of this from Dolly McGlasson before she passed away. I had not had a chance to look for it this A.M. Amanda was a Sister to my Grandfather, Samuel Winn. I have been to both the Netawaka Cemetery and to Redbud Cemetery. I am in a Worldwide Winn DNA project that has connected me with my Winns back to England, and allowed me to exchange lots of Winn Family information. My greatest find last year was the person who had the Winn family Bible from the early 1700s, I met with them, got copies of the Bible pages and visited several cemeteries in Tennessee that had Winn ancestors buried there. Genealogy is a really rewarding hobby.
Frank Winn

frawin

Quote from: ddurbin on March 05, 2011, 08:46:31 AM
Found a lot about Abbott on Ancestry.com  Maybe this article will help you some.
Abbott Manassas Lee was born in Cole County, Illinois, March 23, 1842. His father, Edward Levi Lee, was born in Shanandoah County, Virginia, in 1810 and later came to Cole, Illinois, where he died. Edward Levi Lee and his seven brothers enlisted and fought on the union side in the Civil War. One brother, Price, was killed in the Civil War. Abbott Manassas' mother was Elizabeth Nichols, who after the death of Edward Levi moved to Missouri and then was driven by rebels to Ft. Scott, Kansas.

Abbott Manassas Lee was a direct descendent of the Lee's of Cotton of Shopshire, England, founded by John Lee. St. Mary's church in Aveley, near Cotton Hall, has the 14th Century Arms of John Lee. Later in the Lee family history, Henry C. Lee 1691 - 1747 married Mary Bland. From this union came the Leesylvania Lees of whom Abbott Manassas Lee is a descendent. Abbott Lee's grandfather was a brother of "Light Horse Harry" Henry Lee; and his father was a first cousin to Robert E. Lee.

Abbott Manassas Lee married Amanda Catherine Wynn or Winn, who was born August 19, 1849, in Marion County, Illinois. She came to Kansas with her parents in 1858 and married Abbott Manassas Lee in 1868 at the age of 19.

The first three years of their marriage they lived in Donovan County and then moved to the homestead near Leeds, Kansas, about 1871, where they lived and raised a large family strong in the Baptist faith.

They planted fruit trees on their homestead; and when the trees bore fruit, they took it into their other counties, even into Oklahoma. During most of the years on the homestead, Abbott and Amanda lived in a small home, but later planned and built a two room upstairs and two room downstairs with a large hallway that went down the center from front to back. The upstairs stairway ascended from the front of the hallway. A country kitchen was to be added across the back, but because of Abbott's failing eyesight, it was never completed. It was believed he lost his sight from the insecticide mist he got in his eyes as he sprayed the fruit trees on the farm.

Abbott Manassas and Amanada Catherine Wynn Lee had fifteen children - eleven grew to adulthood. The children included four sets of twins; however, one set of twins died at birth and one girl of another set of twins died at the age of two of whooping cough. In 1921 they went to live with their daughter Louella Lee Shrader and her husband Herman Shrader.

Abbott Manassas Lee died May 25, 1922 and Amanda Catherine Wynn Lee, his wife, died May 30, 1934. 

Harperap1added this on 22 Jan 2011Provided by Carl McGlasson, great-grandson of Abbott and Amanda Lee

Note: Amanda's maiden name was Winn
The first 3 years they lived in Doniphan county, not Donovan

frawin

Quote from: ddurbin on March 05, 2011, 08:50:37 AM
Here's another story about Abbott from Ancestry
At the age of 19, Abbott answere his country's call for volunteers in the Civil War and enlisted in Company D, 32nd Iowa Volunteer Infantry, on August 14, 1862. He was discharged on May 16, 1865, at Davenport, Iowa. Aboott had six brothers in the Civil War, and one, Brice Lee, died while in service.

Mr. Lee was blind for a number of years. He lost his eyesight while cultivating corn. A blade of corn stalk hit him in one eye, and this resulted in the loss of sight in both eyes.

Abbott Lee passed away in 1922 and Amanda Lee in 1934. Both are buried in Netawaka Cemetary in a lot which the government gave to David A. Winn because he was a lieutenant in the army.

David A. Winn, father of Amanda, was born October 26, 1814, and died June 16, 1880. He is buried in the same lot in Netawaka Cemetary.  

Sarah (Beavers) Winn was born February 8, 1825, and died August 30, 1892. She is buried in Redmond Cemetary near her son Daniel Winnm in Udall, Kansas.

Harperap1added this on 22 Jan 2011Excerpted from an article written by Dolly McGlasson, granddaughter of Abbott and Amanda Lee

I have Military records for David A. Winn, and they reflect that he was A Private.
Sarah Winn is buried in Redbud (not Redmond) Cemetetry near Udall, I have been to Redbud.

navygirl

Thank You all for the information on Abbott Manassas Lee. Several years ago someone did research for my Great Aunt and made up a chart. My mom has been watching the 'Who do you think you are' show on Fridays. She started wondering about this chart done earlier. There was a question about the lines drawn from Edmund Jennings Lee(1772-1843) to Edward Levi Sr.(??) and on to Abbott. The question was whether Edward was Abbott's father. My great-grandmother was Minta Lee, Abbott's daughter. Dolly McGlasson was also one of my Great Aunts. I did'nt plan on going to Ancestry.com, so thank You all for the info.  My mother is Mrs. John Logsdon of Winfield. She grew up around Sedan, and so did my dad.   

murdock

Abbott Manassas Lee is my Great - Great Grandfather.  One of his daughters, Ida (Lee) Chandler is my Great Grandmother.  Her Daughter's Ruth (my Grandmother) and Lottie compiled the family history back to Henry Lee and Mary Bland.  I think I have the answer you (navygirl) are looking for.

As you know Edward Levi Lee was Manassas father, Elizabeth Nichols his mother. 

Edward Levi Lee was the son of Edmund Jennings Lee (and was also a cousin to Gen. Robert E. Lee)

Edmund was the son of Henry Bland Lee and Lucy Grymes

Henry was the son of Henry Lee I and Mary Bland

Hope this helps a "cousin".

LadyGeneral92

Hello - I am having difficulty finding this link in the various databases (like ancestry.com). Would you be able to email copies of the documents you have on this topic? I am anxious to learn what I can about Abbott Manassas' lineage. Thank you!

steve.scott9

Abbott was my great, great grandfather.  My grandmother was Myrtle Lee.  I have a pretty detailed tree on ancestry (Scott Family Tree) with some pictures of the family and really appreciate all the information posted on this site to date.  I'm wondering if any of you have documents (birth certificate or census) that clearly identifies Abbott's father?  We have relatives that strongly believe his father was Edward Levi Lee which supports the Robert E Lee link and other relatives that strongly believe his father was Levi Lee or John Levi Lee and had no connection to Robert E Lee.  Since none of us have any good citation documentation it would be great if one of us has something that clearly says his dad was Edward.  I'm calling on all you wise folks that have clearly been digging on this longer than I ---- come help you poor cousin!!

Thx
Steve Scott
steve.scott9@comcast.net   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk