I have a question

Started by larryJ, November 21, 2010, 01:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryJ

As you all know, I reproduce or retype a daily joke along with some trivia and some birthdays in the "Slice of Wry" thread in Miscellaneous from my daily paper.  Today, the paper put a notification that to reproduce some parts or sentences of whatever they publish is considered a quote and is legal.  Reproducing the entire story or article is a violation of the copyright laws.  The article goes on to say that there are legal and correct ways to copy entire stories or articles. 

Here is the question:  If I am a subscriber to the paper, doesn't it become my property, bought and paid for?  If it is considered my property, wouldn't I have the right to do anything I want with the paper?  Would lining my parakeet's cage with the paper be considered liable or slander?  If I read a interesting article in the paper and wanted to tell my wife about it, would I be in violation of copyright laws if I read her the WHOLE article instead of bits and pieces? 

Well, if I all of a sudden fail to make my daily entry, it will be because:  (1) I have departed this earth for a better place.  (2) I have decided not to participate in this forum anymore, (like that would ever happen!) or (3) I have been incarcerated for infringing on the paper's copyright laws.

Just wondering----------

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

twirldoggy

You might be infringing on the copyright if you reprint the entire article, but what is the likelyhood of them finding out?

Janet Harrington

As long as you are not representing the article as your own or not making any money for reproducing that article, you are safe from copywrite laws. That is why you always give the source if the material is not your own.

Diane Amberg

Teresa

Janet's right..
As long as you don't sign your name to it as your own, it can be posted.  :)
Unpack your jail bag .. you're not going anywhere.. LOL
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Diane Amberg

How about if you write something and sign someone else's name to it?

larryJ

Janet Harrington

Larry, Your last response "Antiplagarism?" is what quoting your source is all about. Antiplagarism is the opposite of plagarism, right?

Rudy Taylor

You have nothing to fear, Larry. Janet is right --- as long as you're not taking someone else's work to make money with it, nobody will object.

Besides, the internet is full of pick-up quotes and articles.

The planet has bigger worries than arresting Larry. :police: ;D
It truly is "a wonderful life."

larryJ

Well, there you go.

I thank all of you for answering my question.  I wasn't really all that worried about being busted, but I thought I would ask just for the heck of it.

So, I will unpack my jail bag and give up on having three squares a day and a warm and safe place to stay away from in-laws and outlaws.  There goes that fantasy.

As I thought I might be of more importance in this world, I guess arresting Larry just isn't a priority as Rudy says.  Talk about bursting one's bubble.

So thanks again.

Larryj

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk