Severy Labor Day

Started by Marcia Moore, August 29, 2010, 07:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcia Moore

Butch and Mary Sanford, dba Sanford Service, had an entry in the Severy Labor Day Parade.  The sign on their float reads, "Sanford Service.  50 Years and Still Going."  Actually, Sanford Service has been in business for 66 yrs. so far, since 1944.
The business, situated along Hwy. 400 east of Severy, has been run by two generations of Sanfords.  It was first operated by Charles Hiram "Red" Sanford.  His son, Francis "Butch," joined him in 1960, later taking over the business.  Butch, himself, has been working there for fifty years.

painted

Boath were great!  My grands loved them too.

Ole Granny

"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

Ole Granny

Sorry I missed it.  I am going to try to make the Elk River Festival.  Mother and I use to go to Severy and Howard for their celebrations.
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

frawin

Quote from: Ole Granny on September 07, 2010, 12:16:28 AM
Sorry I missed it.  I am going to try to make the Elk River Festival.  Mother and I use to go to Severy and Howard for their celebrations.
Alice, we will be looking for you at the Elk River Festival.
Frank

frawin

Quote from: kshillbillys on September 06, 2010, 04:41:34 PM
If we'd have known Frank and Myrna was going to be in Severy we'd have gone up to say hello!
Jennifer, maybe we can see you at the Elk River Festival. We plan to be in the Parade, I may push Myrna in a Wheelbarrow, or better yet maybe she will push me in one.
Frank

frawin

I was good to see Butch and Mary again.  His sister and I were and still are good friends.  In fact, we were classmates!  Their parents were really good people.  We always had a good time at their place.

Myrna

frawin

Quote from: Clubine Ranch on September 06, 2010, 06:25:50 PM
Old memories. Dale had a black and white 1956 Ford. I don't remember it but I enjoy the pictures of his old car. Thanks for posting this and wow what great looking people in a great looking car!! Dale and Barbara
Thanks Barbara, we really had fun, I got to throw candy to all of the little ones, it is always fun to see old friends. Hope to see you and Dale at the Elk River Festival. Barbara, this will come as no surprise to you or anyone else, in my younger years, I spent a lot of time in Moline, some of the Moline guys were good friends and some didn't like Howard boys coming down there, Dale was always friendly and congenial to everybody.
Frank

patyrn

Hope your Labor Day celebration went great, Marcia!  Thanks so much for the fun  parade pictures plus all the efforts you and your community leaders put forth.  I'm sure those who live away and are coming back "home" especially appreciate all the hard work that makes the festival successful!  It's so good to keep that longtime tradition going. 

Janet Harrington

Just to let you know, because I am glad Harky does what he does, but I do know Harky the Clown personally.  When his wife was alive they would come to the Wilson County Jail where she would teach the inmates how to read.  She was a wonderful person.  He is to and I am glad that he was in Severy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk