GENE'S BOY SCOUT DINNER

Started by frawin, March 16, 2010, 01:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

Myrna and I were reminiscing recently about Gene and Menzenita Stephens and the last time we spent visiting with them. Next to the last time I told Gene that my family really liked his Boy Scout Dinners. When Gene was our scoutmaster we fixed his dinners on camping trips. A couple of years went by before we saw them again and Menzenita said they went home after our visit and fixed the boy scout dinner and really enjoyed it. I told Gene that I had given his recipe out all over West Texas. I bet Sandy has eaten it a few times, I need to remember to ask her this year at the Alumni Banquet when I get my annual hug. I think Gene will like it if I post his recipe here for everyone to have. Everytime my family gathers for a few days we always fix "Gene's Boy Scout Dinner", I cook them on the grill with Charcoal and Hickory Chips for flavor.

GENE'S BOY SCOUNT DINNER

Ground Beef (Make into individual patties -  we usually make them like a hamburger steak)
Carrots
Potatoes
Onions

Wash and clean vegetables - par boil potatoes and carrots

Season meat with salt and pepper, then add sliced potatoes, sliced carrots, chopped onions season with salt and pepper, add some parsley flakes, and put some margarine on the top.  Wrap each individual meal in foil and cook on coals.  We use our bar-b-q cooker.  Cook slowly until meal is done.  We often make a cornbread muffin to have with them.

When we cooked them on Boy Scout outings we wrapped them in foil, dug a hole, put coals in the bottom, put a layer of dirt, put down the dinners , then another layer of dirt, then another layer of coals and let them bake.

Teresa

Sounds not only good.. but fun to do as well...

Kinda like what we call a campfire  hobo meal...
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

frawin

Teresa, my grandkids love it, that is one of the things they always want when we get together.

Jo McDonald

Frank, Menzenita Stephens was my cousin.  My Daddy and her Mother Maude were half brother and sister.  She and Gene were always
fun to be around. 

Jo
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

frawin

Jo, if I ever knew that I forgot. Yes Menzenita and Gene were really neat and fun people. I really liked Menzenita's father, Fordy Houser. He was really a coloful person, I used to love to hear him tell stories about his days of being Sheriff of Elk County . When he was the Drayman for delivering the freight that  came in on the train, he used to stop and let kids ride on the back of his old Model A truck, it was really fun. He went so slow it would not have hurt you if you did fall off. Sandy spent a lot of time at our house, she came over and stayed with my 2 older sister's a lot. Sandy and Dan really had neat parents and Grandparents on both sides.
Jo, you came from and/or are related to some of the best people in the county, including Fred.

Myrna and I had a great visit with Gene and Menzenita just a short time before Menzenita passed away. Then we visited with Gene when we came back for Aunt Georgie Van Buskirk's Memorial Service.
Frank

Jo McDonald

Yes, they were neat people.  Aunt Maude and Faye Harrod's Mother Mattie McDonald were sisters - Their Mother and my Dad's Father had both been married before, each had children.  Grandma had the two girls and Grandpa had 3 sons, then they had 4 children.
  I loved Aunt Maude and Uncle Fordy - Menzenita was older than I.  One Sunday when we came to Howard to visit them Gene came to pick up Menzenita to play tennis, I think.  I thought that was pretty cool at the time.    (Too young to know any difference, I guess  LOL )
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk