John Wesley and Vergie Alma Day Ray

Started by Mom70x7, November 12, 2008, 03:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mom70x7

Help, please.

I had someone call asking for more information on these people.

John Wesley Ray was born 9-5-80 and died 10-3-69.

His wife, Vergie Alma Day Ray, was born 5-29-89 and died 4-28-80.

The woman who called is doing family research and ran into a dead-end with her great-grandparents.

Family lore has it they attended the Howard United Methodist Church.
John Wesley was buried by Rev. Roy Brown.
Vergie was buried by Rev. John Evans.

They were buried in the Greenwood Cemetery, but the great-granddaughter doesn't know which Greenwood Cemetery.
She assumes there's one in Greenwood County.

The people I've talked with think Vergie Day might be from around Piedmont.

John and Vergie must have had a daughter who married into the Coon family, since her grandfather is Sam Archibald Coon.
I forgot to ask what her grandmother's name was.
Sam's son is her dad - Gary Coon.

She needs informationon John and Vergie, though. Can anyone help?

frawin

Mom, go the obits on the forum and you will find Elmer John (Bob) Ray's obit.   He was John & Vergie's son. He passed away not too long ago.  His wife was Gertrude Powers from Piedmont.  His siblings were Forrest, Gerald June, Leonard and Ralph.  June was married to Sans Coon and she and Bob are both buried at Piedmont Cemetery.  Sans Coon and Marie Hileman were brother and sister and I think their dad was Orville Coon.  The last I knew Max Hileman (Marie's son) lived up around Severy.  Dorine Benest was a coon and I believe she was a cousin to Marie and Sans.  Yes, Vergie Ray was a Day and she was a cousin somehow to Joe and Paul Day.  Joe's son lives at Eureka now.  I believe there is a Greenwood cemetery at Eureka.

Bob & Gertie were our neighbors when I was growing up.

See if this helps.  You might get this person's phone # and send it to me, and I might be able to put her in touch with some of the people who might be able to better answer her questions.

Myrna

Marcia Moore

There is a Greenwood Cemetery at Eureka.  The City of Eureka keeps the records for it.  If you call them, they can give you the information over the phone.  The Greenwood County Historical Society at Eureka has a large collection of obituaries, and lots of old newspapers on microfilm.  They may be of some help to you, also. 
     I checked my records and found a Ray in the Forest Cemetery, south of Piedmont.  -- RAY, Jesse; Died Jan. 2, 1881; 59 yrs. 8 mo. 8 da.
     I found two Rays in the Piedmont Cemetery – (1) RAY, Elmer John "Bob"; Born Dec. 14, 1918; Died May 10, 2008; husb. of Gertrude (Powers) Ray; son of John Wesley & Vergie Alma (Day) Ray and (2) RAY, Thomas Grover; Born May 26, 1893; Died Dec. 8, 1897; 4 yrs. 7 mo. 12 da.; son of J. and T.A. Ray.
     As for your Sam Archibald Coon, is there a chance it is supposed to be Sands Archibald Coon?  There are two Sands Coons buried in the Cresco Cemetery.  I may have obituaries on them somewhere, too.  (1) COON, Sands A.; Born Apr. 26, 1852; Died Jan. 11, 1917; husb. of Ida L. (Karr) Coon; killed by accidental discharge of shotgun, and (2) COON, Sands Archibald; Born Aug. 6, 1909; Died Sept. 22, 1996; husb. of Lorene Coon; son of Ormand J. & Addaline (Jolly) Coon; auto accident victim.  I believe Mrs. Merle (Dorine) Benest is a granddaughter to Sands A. Coon.  She is around 90 years old now and lives at Severy.  She may be of some help to you.

patyrn

In the Obituary section, Bob Ray's parents were John and Vergie Ray.  Bob's two daughters, Vicki Jackson and Cheryl Ray, are listed as residing in Marion, Kansas.  They probably would have some pertinent information for the relatives.

flo

these are relatives of mine.  Mom 70x7, e-mail me the name and I will give them what info I have and if they need more My Aunt Vola has the history back to the 1700's, a copy of which she gave to me.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

flo

My great grandmother, Agnes B. (Day) Hillman, was a sister to Virgie.  Paul was Ervin Day's son.  Joe and Paul were not brothers.  Cousins, I think.  Paul had a brother, but his name was Louis.  Odd that Gary Coon's daughter is inquiring.  He lived with my sister-in-law for a few years and when they were down visiting one day, he left to go see his grandmother.  When he told me who she was, I was flabbergasted.  Told him she was relation of mine.  He also visited Marie Hileman at the same time.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Mom70x7

You guys are great!  :angel:
Wish I had thought of you two weeks ago when she called.

Sam could easily be Sands or Sans - I was taking information over the phone and sounds are easy to mix up.

I've e-mailed Flo and given her the contact information.
Without permission, I don't want to post it.

I'm also sending her the information from the forum here.
What a treat!

Thanks!

JCoon

I just wanted to say Thank You to everyone for there Help.... I am still searching for John Wesley parents, Flo has been a wonderful help, I now know that is mother was Oscene and his father lived out by Climax so if anyone has any other information it would be wonderful, Mom70x7 and Flo are angels  :angel: They have been a  great help ,  again thank you very much

Julie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk