Walter R. Arndt: Marriage 02 April 1913

Started by mobarbq, March 25, 2010, 07:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

Thanks to you both.  I'm always interested in that kind of thing.

Ms Bear

This was very interesting.  Thank you both.

jarhead

Another little tidbit about our Elk River. Starts in NW part of the county and when it crosses into Mongomery county, just a tad east of Oak Valley, OVER half it's decent to the ocean is over. Did I say that right ? Waldo help me out here. Means from NW Elk county to SE Elk county is a heck of a drop, then kinda flatten outs as it makes it's way to the Gulf of Mexico

Wilma

I think the word you want is descent, not decent, altho it probably is a decent enough river as far as rivers go.  Oh, rivers do go quite a way, don't they.  All the way to the ocean.

jarhead

Thank you Wilma. John Barleycorn is helping me write tonight and he's a moron. :)
Not sure what route Elk river takes to the Gulf but I think the Verdigris into Grand Lake and out there for a spell and then into the mighty Mississippi . Building a raft tomorrow and gonna float it so in a month or so I'll get back with you---unless I get ran over by a steamboat !!!

larryJ

OR, attacked and eaten by one of them giant squirrels!  And, Jack Daniels is helping me along with R.A.M.B.O. and they are both way smarter than me.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

W. Gray

All the Elk County rivers flow into the Verdigris.

The Verdigris begins at about Madison, Kansas, and is 280 miles long and flows into the Arkansas River (in this case the "Rkansaw River" rather than the "Rkansas" river since it occurs in Oklahoma). The Arkansas flows into the Mississippi.

By my bearings using Delorme Maps the Elk starts at 1587 feet and is at 765 feet when it flows into the Verdigris.  That is about one-half a drop from the source.

I dont have my Delorme with me so I dont know at what elevation the Verdigris flows into the Arkansas.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

W. Gray

I was talking to a Union Center Township rancher who works on Limestone Road at about as far west as it goes, this past week and he said that the Elk River started at what he called a "U Shaped" spring in Butler County.

He said the place has been pretty well trashed by teenagers who apparently frequent there quite often.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Diane Amberg

Your description sounds like out about where my Uncle Bill's old place is. Very interesting! Who were you talking to, if I might ask?

jarhead

Diane,
I think I know who you're refering to as your uncle Billy but I can't seem to connect the dots. HELP !!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk