Torture

Started by Anmar, August 25, 2009, 11:11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your views on the government's use of torture?

The government should be allowed to torture anyone
The government should be allowed to torture only foreigners
The government should not torture anyone
Torture is illegal, and those who were involved should be prosecuted
I don't believe the government used torture

sixdogsmom

JH, I was referring to military run amuk, above the law and the sense of the law. Perhaps a better example would be the death camps in Germany in WWII. I am certain that the people who died there were considered enemies of the Reich and/or  the world would be better off with fewer threats if they were eliminated.
Edie

flintauqua

Quote from: srkruzich on August 25, 2009, 06:19:37 PM
Actually the Military is bound by its own law, and the Constitution.  Civilian law does not have jurisdiction over the military.

While the United States military branches do conduct their activities under a strict military rule of law, it is still subject to civilian authority, specifically Congressional oversight and an elected Commander-In-Chief, and his designee the Secretary of Defense (upon confirmation by the U.S. Senate.)

Varmit

sixdogsmom, how would you have us extract information, that could keep our soldiers alive and our country safe, from people who do not wish to give it?

It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

sixdogsmom

Billy, what makes you think that information extracted by torture is truth? A man waterboarded 183 times is unlikely to even know the truth much less care if the information given is truth. EIT often is torture for torture sake, and is a crime. Ask John McCain about torture and interrogation.
Edie

Varmit

You didn't answer my question.

What makes you think that the information we gathered wasn't accurate?  Also, the torture McCain resulted in severe and lasting injury.  Last time I checked our techniques don't. 
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

srkruzich

Quote from: flintauqua on August 25, 2009, 08:20:00 PM
Quote from: srkruzich on August 25, 2009, 06:19:37 PM
Actually the Military is bound by its own law, and the Constitution.  Civilian law does not have jurisdiction over the military.

While the United States military branches do conduct their activities under a strict military rule of law, it is still subject to civilian authority, specifically Congressional oversight and an elected Commander-In-Chief, and his designee the Secretary of Defense (upon confirmation by the U.S. Senate.)
I think i covered that. THeir not subject to civilian law unless they waive the jurisdiction of the military.  The constitution covers the authority over the military.  But as far as the judicial branch and the civilian laws, they do not dictate what the military goes by.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

flintauqua

Just trying to make it a little clearer for others.

srkruzich

Quote from: flintauqua on August 25, 2009, 09:33:45 PM
Just trying to make it a little clearer for others.

I don't know if you remember but a few years back several marines were accused of massecreing some people in iraq.  They brought these men home in chains and kept them in chains til they were aquitted of all charges by the Military tribunal
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

flintauqua

Yes I do.  As it should be.

Did you enjoy the television series J.A.G.?  Or the movie A Few Good Men?

Warph

Quote from: pamsback on August 25, 2009, 03:51:26 PM
I think.........like it or not torture has ALWAYS gone on behind closed doors, it will ALWAYS go on behind said closed doors, it's part of war which is NOT a civilized Marquis of Queensbury type rules kind of activity. It didn't just start with THIS particular opponent.

It AIN'T right but it's GONNA happen.

After reading all comments on "torture," up to this point, I have to say that Pam said it best. 
I could write 3 pages on torture and I wouldn't come up with anything better than what Pam just stated in three sentences.  Listen, I bounced around with our government for over thirty years and I KNOW what the hell is going on behind the curtain when it come to making our enemies pop their cookies.  We are experts at this and as long as we are at war it will go on, no matter who thinks it is wrong or who thinks he/they, (Attorney General Eric Holder and federal prosecutor John Durham and company) can stop it....  it's necessary and anyone who thinks it isn't, is a damn fool!  It is 'whatever it takes', PERIOD.  Four U.S. troops died yesterday.  We are at war and if it takes torture to save American lives, I say, bring it on!   

Remember, we are at war, people.... whatever it takes to save lives.

"Victory at all costs, Victory in spite of all terror, Victory however long and hard the road may be; for without Victory, there is no survival." ...Winston Churchill

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." ....George S. Patton

BTW....Billy's 100% right in his post this morning, "Is It Any Wonder ....obama and his adminstration, in a move that has become their signature play, needs something to divert American attention away from what they are doing." ....because ObamaHealthCare sucks and he knows it will not pass if he doesn't come up with something to turn attention away from the Health Care issue.  I predict that Attorney General Eric Holder will be the most hated man in America by Christmas if he goes through with his investigation of the CIA.
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk