Cloth or Leather?

Started by mtcookson, August 06, 2009, 02:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you prefer cloth seats or leather in your vehicle?

Cloth
8 (50%)
Leather
8 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 14

mtcookson

Kind of bored today and this is something that always bugs me being a car guy. I hate leather seats in cars (actually don't even really like it in the house either to be honest). Too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter, unless you get some really nice ones they aren't often that comfortable, and when it comes to support they tend to not keep you in place like cloth seats. Unless you take good care of them they tend to wear much faster than cloth, getting hard, cracking, even tearing rather easily.

What is weird to me is it seems like leather is the preferred option, even in sports vehicles which just absolutely baffles me (in the sport vehicle scenario).

But anyway... what is your option and opinion? ;D

patyrn

I had the same feelings as you about leather and avoided it at all costs UNTIL I got a new Honda last year.  The package I wanted with that model only came with leather, so that's what we got.  The seats are heated so winter is not a problem, and with the air conditioning for summer, they've done fine then, too.  So................they have worked out well for me!  I also don't like to sit in leather furniture.................

dnalexander

As far as the car goes I too like cloth for many of the reasons "young master Cookson" stated. My best friend has a '88|89? BMW M5 though, that has heated leather seats that I love.

David

mtcookson

Quote from: dnalexander on August 06, 2009, 03:37:35 PM'88|89? BMW M5

I love classic BMW's like those.

The Mazda I have does have the heated leather seats, which are nice once they finally warm up, but I think I'd definitely prefer heated and cooled cloth seats. That would be awesome. ;D

Tobina+1

I used to prefer cloth, too.  Until I had the opportunity to buy a Honda Accord (used) with ALL the good stuff.  Right miles and right price, so the extra features were just a plus.  It had light gray leather seats, though, and although they wore well, they did tend to look a little grimy in certain places if I didn't clean it often.  I liked the leather, even though they weren't heated.  Well, when I bought my Pilot, I actually wanted the temperature control feature, and that came with the leather package.  The seats are heated (front ones), and are the perfect color of brown leather, and I love them!  As for the leather getting hot; I always have a sun shade in the windows, so usually doesn't affect the seats too bad.  I contend that it doesn't matter if the seats are leather or cloth, certain vehicles and brands are NOT comfortable.

dnalexander

Quote from: mtcookson on August 06, 2009, 02:51:07 PM
Kind of bored today ... (actually don't even really like it[ leather} in the house either to be honest).

I am bored too so I thought I would add to my previous comment and comment on leather seats in the house. I have a large leather armchair that I love and was a bit of an expensive indulgence. Here is the story of why I think I love a man's leather chair.

Back in the 80's, as a twenty-something bachelor I lived in Los Angeles and spent a lot of time with my older attorney brother and all his lawyer buddies. A few times they took me to a place in Santa Monica called the Jonathan Club.  It was an old fashioned mens club where all the big lawyers, businessmen, movie stars etc. would hang out. A place where men could be men and not have to worry about offending any women by our actions. Dark Paneling, cigars, thick leather chairs etc. Now that the tone is set I think I can tell you the time I feel probably started my love of big leather chairs and why I have one now. Here with no further explaination is my mental picture of leather chairs and the Jonathan Club.

I am sitting in the Tap Room (bar) in a thick leather chair surrounded by older, wealthy, scions of  Los Angeles. On the polished redwood table sits my heavy crystal tumbler full of Maker's Mark. I am handed a freshly made Cuban cigar that has just been hand- rolled as tight as the tanned beautiful Cuban woman's thigh on which it was rolled. When I sit in my leather chair I smell the leather, tobacco, vanilla, and bourbon smell of the Jonathan Club Tap room. Ahh, just a fond memory now for my midlife crisis mind.

David ;)

For the younger guys a men's club has no strippers like the gentleman's club that you are familiar with. Different era different meaning.

Rudy Taylor

Dang, David ... you've got my heart beating fast.  :)

Your post makes my opinion on leather seats seem rather humdrum.  But I do like leather seats, especially if the car has a seat heating system.  Now that's nice.

But when it comes to comfort, I still prefer cloth seats in cars and upholstered chairs in houses. But then again, if I thought sitting in a leather chair would create that scene about the Cuban girl ... I'd probably go for cowhide, too.
It truly is "a wonderful life."

Jo McDonald

Down, Rudy ---Down Boy !!!!

Take a deep breath -- Kathy is just around the corner, remember.

Jo
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Teresa

Quote from: Jo McDonald on August 07, 2009, 10:44:21 AM
Down, Rudy ---Down Boy !!!!

Take a deep breath -- Kathy is just around the corner, remember.

Jo

With a rolling pin in her hand... just waiting for you~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Joanna

I like leather seats. Cloth won't do. Squirt hasn't learned to clean her feet before she gets in and they don't offer vinyl anymore.  I'm not giving up my Squirt, so I'll always prefer leather seats.

We have a leather couch at home and everyone loves it.  Comfy and easy to clean.  Same with the Explorer seats. The pickup has cloth so we have it all covered with throw blankets ~ that's hot in the summer, let me tell you!

I also prefer to ride in the vehicles with the windows down instead of A/C.  I don't wear short shorts anymore  :o  ;D so never have too much problem with heat.  They can be a little cold at first in the winter, but they warm up faster and stay warmer than cloth IMO.  We don't have heated seats... yet  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk