Moline College

Started by ddurbin, October 11, 2008, 07:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

There was a Western Eclectic College of Medicine and Surgery in Kansas City, Kansas, that went out in 1909.

Concordia is 160 miles northwest of Topeka.

Horton is 58 miles north of Topeka and is just east of the Kickapoo Indian reservation and just south of the Sac & Fox and Iowa Indian reservations.

There is a Washburn University in Topeka. I am pretty sure there are no colleges north of Topeka.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

W. Gray

I read it.

I will read most anything on history and, believe it or not, I had a printed copy of that Cloud County history on hand for reference to something else but never thought to refer to it.

There were several private normal schools in the state in addition to the state normal schools. The state run normal school at Concordia did not last through the 1870s according to the Historical Atlas of Kansas.

I guess someone needs to tell the two professors that wrote the Historical Atlas of Kansas (1988) that they need to update their Kansas ghost schools list to include Great Western.

Trouble is, one of them has passed on and the other retired in 1980 and may have the same status by now.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

ddurbin

Waldo,
Just wanted to mention that during my days at KSU(70-74), I had classes by both those professors:  Huber Self for Kansas Geography and Homer Socolofsky for Kansas History.  Self had connections to the now ghost-town of Wauneta down in CQ county between Sedan and Cedar Vale.  He was surprised when someone in the class (me) knew where it was.

W. Gray

As I recall, we had some discussion about Wauneta on this forum a couple years ago, including the corner on U.S. 160 where it was located, etc.

I know that Socolofsky has passed on and I think Huber has also.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk