first day of school

Started by heather_tyler_2014, July 20, 2008, 12:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

sixdogsmom

For fun that's why. remeber pig latin? Just for fun, totally worthless too. I do think that the text messanging has a method behind the madness, for instance key numbers for letters and such. Code a little like license tags. With your own thread, they could text speak if they want. It might be interesting.
Edie

srkruzich

Quote from: Wilma on August 17, 2008, 09:49:30 PM
How in the world do you get "that" from "7h47"?  Wouldn't it be easier to simply type "that"?  And why go to the trouble of "cR4zy" when "crazy" is easier to type?  If they can learn a language like that, then why not learn French or Spanish or any of the other foreign languages that might benefit them in the future?  You might include English with that.

Its because of the keypad on the phone.  You have numerical pad. it takes less presses of the buton to use acronymns and the substitutions of numbers for lettres ect. 

You can type much faster by doing it that way than to sit there and press number 6  times to get a O or number 7 3 times to get a T
The number 4 i don't get as the a is a number 2. 
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

srkruzich

Kids also have their own code for im as well, for example POS means parents over shoulder which alerts the other person that someone is reading.
You have to really watch and do some learning to get into what the kids are using for language substitutions.
I learned it when my kids were teens.  They were rather sneaky at times.  But they failed to realize that I was smarter than they are :)

I remember the day when one of my sons told me i was old and feeble and he was strong and fast and that i couldn't whip him. I just smiled and said maybe so, but i have two things that you don't.

Age and Treachery!!!!!
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

indygal

Quotefor example POS means parents over shoulder

Which is much more polite than when I use POS to describe something!  :o ::)

aamiller321

If you noticed I had quoted heather there, perhaps I was making fun of the way she typed in that quote ??? That was almost paintful to type. :laugh:
The day that you don't enjoy running around like a kid is the day you begin to die.

Mom70x7

I think I remember reading the Kansas State Fair this year will have a "texting" contest - to see who can do it accurately and quickly.

Wilma

OK, can anybody text a hundred words per minute?  Maybe actual words would be easier if they learned the correct way to type.  After all, even with a keyboard, when they get out in the real world, words are going to have to be spelled right, numbers are going to have to be input correctly, so why not start now.  And if they have something to say that their parents can't read, there is something wrong with what they are doing or something wrong with the parents.  As for texting over a telephone, what's the point?  If you can't speak to them, you can leave a voice message.  Go ahead, call me an old fogey, but there is a real world out there.

flo

>:( I had figured out everything but "that" and I'm with Wilma.  Just simply typing "that" would have been easier.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Wilma

And that comes from someone with fast fingers learned the hard way.  Right, Flo?  Severy didn't have electric typewriters when you took typing, I'm sure.

flo

yep, we did.  Had ONE electric typewriter when I was a senior and we had to take turns using it.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk