Gone With The Wind

Started by W. Gray, January 19, 2008, 03:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

http://www.actingbiz.com/become_an_actor_in_kansas.php

This web site says Gone With the Wind was filmed in Kansas but does not say where.

I believe they mean a part of it was filmed in Kansas.

Two other web sites also say Gone With the Wind was filmed in Kansas. Strangely, neither mentions Bad Company.

I have searched the web and cannot find any reference to any part of Gone With the Wind being filmed in Kansas.

Back then, most movies were filmed on indoor studio sets, outdoor sets on the movie company's lot, or at close by California locations.

The huge Atlanta fire in GTTW was actually the 1933 King Kong and Son of Kong outdoor set and some others that MGM torched on their back lot.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

archeobabe

Gone With The Wind was not film in Kansas. All the movie was shot on the backlot of MGM and I think that they went to Altanta to shoot the train station of all the wounded and dying soldiers were lying on the ground. There is a site call "Kansas Film Commission" that gives all the movies and made for television that was made in Kansas.

W. Gray

That scene at the train station was actually shot in a studio back lot.

http://www.retroweb.com/40acres/40acres_plot_plan_1940.jpg

Thanks, I was unaware there was a Kansas Film Commission site.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

giester2

I just looked at the Kansas film site and I couldn't find American Graffiti.  I thought at least part of that movie was filmed at the Wichita Drive Inn Movie.  Am I wrong?
Born in Texas with Kansan Blood

Diane Amberg

That is still one of my all time favorites. I didn't know any was made in Kansas, maybe it's in the credits at the end.

giester2

I guess I was wrong...it looks like all of it was filmed in California.

W. Gray

I found that it was shot in 29 days in Marin and Sonoma counties, California. Somewhere I got the idea it was filmed in Modesto, Ca, but do not see it listed.

Concord, California, USA
    (airport)

D Street, Petaluma, California, USA

Fourth Street, San Rafael, California, USA

Kentucky Street, Petaluma, California, USA

Mel's Drive-in - Cnr. South Van Ness Ave. & Mission Street, San Francisco, California, USA
    (demolished)

Mill Valley, California, USA

Miller Avenue, Mill Valley, California, USA

Mission Street, San Francisco, California, USA

Mystic Theater - 23 Petaluma Blvd. North, Petaluma, California, USA
    (State Movie Theater)

Old Opera House - 149 Kentucky Street, Petaluma, California, USA

Petaluma Blvd. North, Petaluma, California, USA

Petaluma Blvd., Petaluma, California, USA

Petaluma, California, USA
    (Drag race scene between the '32 Ford and '55 Chevy.)

Pinole, California, USA

Redwood High School - 395 Doherty Drive, Larkspur, California, USA

San Francisco, California, USA
    (Mel's Diner)

San Rafael, California, USA
    (Main Street)

South Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco, California, USA

Tamalpais High School - 700 Miller Avenue, Mill Valley, California, USA

Washington Street, Petaluma, California, USA

giester2

I believe Lucas (the director) grew up in Modesto, CA, and wanted the movie to portray the Modesto he remembered growing up in.

W. Gray

I believe you hit the nail on the head, thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk