Searching for informations about the Glenn-Family...

Started by michael_glenn, November 20, 2007, 05:17:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michael_glenn

...from Paw Paw Township.

I´m back again after a long time ago and my english grammar needs more refreshing than never ever before* ??? :o grrrr*

I found a 1880 US-census page about my direct greatgrandgrandfathers family and his brothers family too.

...hope there is anyone in your community who knows where in Paw Paw Township, of 1880 the supervisor´s dist.2; and the enumeration distr. 85 was?

ooppss, the housenumber was 76.

Thank you very much for your efforts:-)

...it´s never too fast and heaven can wait till I die.

W. Gray

This was taken from the Elk County section of William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas, published in 1883.

R. F. GLENN, Register of Deeds of Elk County, was born in Vermillion County Ill., in 18S7. He was raised on a farm and worked at farming and brick making until thirteen years of age, when he started in the world for himself, working summers and attending school winters until seventeen years of age, when he began teaching, teaching until twenty-one years of age, when he came West and located at Cedar Vale, Chautauqua Co., Kan. In 1880, he took a trip to Colorado, but soon after returned to Kansas, locating at Grenola, and was employed as a salesman in the general store of C. D. Murphy. In January, Mr. Murphy sold out to Hewins & Titus, and Mr. Glenn continued with the new firm until January, 1882, when he came to Howard and took his present position having been elected in the fall of 1831. Mr. Glenn is a thoroughly self-made man, and by close attention to business and his known reliability, was placed in the best office in the county before he had been a resident two years. He is a good business man, and has a bright future before him. He is a member of Howard Lodge, No. 134, I. O. O. F.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

michael_glenn

Quote from: W. Gray on November 30, 2007, 06:57:41 PM
This was taken from the Elk County section of William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas, published in 1883.

R. F. GLENN, Register of Deeds of Elk County, was born in Vermillion County Ill., in 18S7. He was raised on a farm and worked at farming and brick making until thirteen years of age, when he started in the world for himself, working summers and attending school winters until seventeen years of age, when he began teaching, teaching until twenty-one years of age, when he came West and located at Cedar Vale, Chautauqua Co., Kan. In 1880, he took a trip to Colorado, but soon after returned to Kansas, locating at Grenola, and was employed as a salesman in the general store of C. D. Murphy. In January, Mr. Murphy sold out to Hewins & Titus, and Mr. Glenn continued with the new firm until January, 1882, when he came to Howard and took his present position having been elected in the fall of 1831. Mr. Glenn is a thoroughly self-made man, and by close attention to business and his known reliability, was placed in the best office in the county before he had been a resident two years. He is a good business man, and has a bright future before him. He is a member of Howard Lodge, No. 134, I. O. O. F.

Thanks for your efforts. :)

The family of R.F. Glenn is definitely an other Glenn-Clan from Elk County.

My Greatgrandfathers older brother Frederick R Glenn was born 1868 in Iowa and he died in Aug 1948 in Seattle/WA.
My Greatgrandfather and his younger brothers Virgil V and Herbert are regular native Elk County -  Kansans.

They moved with their parents John T Glenn and Minerva Jane (Maidenname White) between 1898 and 1899 at first to Oregon and a couple of years later into the King County area today Seattle.

My Greatgrandgrandmother Mary Jane (Maidenname Travis) Glenn *1822-1899* is buried at the Twin Grove cemetery/Greenwood and her House must be placed at the direct borderline of Greenwood/Elk, because the informations are changing in regulary intervals between the counties.
Mary Janes husband William died 1869 in Jefferson/Iowa and she moved with eleven children to Kansas (what a hard job) .

The most of them settled as adults with own families themeselve in the Elk/Greenwood Area (mostly Paw Paw Township), other members like my grandparents went to the west coast or settled in Oklahoma/ Kingfisher like Alonzo S Glenn.

I´m interested in informations where the houses or farms of the Glenn´s was exactly placed and if there is anything to find like houses, barn, ruins something else .

Excuse me please, but it´s a wonderful thought for me to own some day a lot or a house on the same place like my ancestors.

Jo McDonald

Waldo --- was the late Albert Glenn from northeast of Severy a relative of the Glenn's that Micheal is referring to?  The widow, Mildred Glenn is still living - she had two children - a son that they raised that was a foster child and a daughter Byra Glenn Juaire, also deceased as a result of a traffic accident.  Byra was married to the late Jerry Juaire - and they had three daughters, still living.  Lauire, Ginny and Amy...all living in Greenwood county, I believe.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

michael_glenn

Quote from: Jo McDonald on December 07, 2007, 03:01:20 PM
Waldo --- was the late Albert Glenn from northeast of Severy a relative of the Glenn's that Micheal is referring to?  The widow, Mildred Glenn is still living - she had two children - a son that they raised that was a foster child and a daughter Byra Glenn Juaire, also deceased as a result of a traffic accident.  Byra was married to the late Jerry Juaire - and they had three daughters, still living.  Lauire, Ginny and Amy...all living in Greenwood county, I believe.

Woww :) Thank you so much!

W. Gray

Marcia might be able to answer that question.

I looked in the Elk County history book and under the Howell family found a reference to a Noland Glen, Noah Glen, and Sharlene Glen. Also found a Bob Glenn under the Grenola section.

The index seems to indicate Glenn and Glen are interchangeable.

Bob Glenn was a school teacher at Grenola in 1881 and 1882. It could be that RF Glenn and Bob Glenn are the same person.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Marcia Moore

Cemetery listings on the Glenns buried at Severy follow.  SL stands for South Lawn Cemetery and TG stands for Twin Groves Cemetery.
SL – GLENN, Albert Byron; Born May 1, 1918; Died Dec. 30, 1978; husb. of Mildred (Nearhood) Glenn; son of Elmer & LaVinnie
       (Acton) Glenn; auto accident victim 
TG – GLENN, Blanche; Born/Died Jan. 22, 1891
TG – GLENN, Infant; Died Feb. 20, 1897
TG – GLENN, Jane Elizabeth (Mock); Born 1857; Died Jan. 30, 1916; widow of William Glenn; pneumonia victim
TG – GLENN, Mary Jane; Born Mar. 4, 1822; Died Jan. 29, 1899; widow of William Glenn; dau. of Thomas Travis
TG – GLENN, Nellie; Died July 22, 1888; 1 yr. 8 mo.; dau. of R.O. & F. Glenn; victim of cholera
TG – GLENN, William; Born 1850; Died Apr. 26, 1914; husb. of Jane Elizabeth (Mock) Glenn
SL – GLENN, William Harry; Born 1898; Died July 15, 1944 

Others you may be interested in --
SL – JUAIRE, Byra Jean: Born Sept. 29, 1949; Died Oct. 11, 2004; widow of Gerold Jean "Jerry" Juaire; dau. of Albert Byron &
       Mildred (Nearhood) Glenn
SL – JUAIRE, Gerold Jean "Jerry"; Born Dec. 25, 1947; Died Aug. 16, 2000; husb. of Byra Jean (Glenn) Juaire; son of Joseph Jean
       & Wanda Elaine (Cummins) Juaire
SL – NEARHOOD, Terry Ray; Born Nov. 1, 1945; Died July 30, 1991; husb. of Norma L. (McCarter) Nearhood; son of Albert &
       Mildred Glenn

michael_glenn

Quote from: Marcia Moore on December 07, 2007, 09:38:16 PM
Cemetery listings on the Glenns buried at Severy follow.  SL stands for South Lawn Cemetery and TG stands for Twin Groves Cemetery.
SL – GLENN, Albert Byron; Born May 1, 1918; Died Dec. 30, 1978; husb. of Mildred (Nearhood) Glenn; son of Elmer & LaVinnie
TG – GLENN, Jane Elizabeth (Mock); Born 1857; Died Jan. 30, 1916; widow of William Glenn; pneumonia victim
TG – GLENN, Mary Jane; Born Mar. 4, 1822; Died Jan. 29, 1899; widow of William Glenn; dau. of Thomas Travis
TG – GLENN, Nellie; Died July 22, 1888; 1 yr. 8 mo.; dau. of R.O. & F. Glenn; victim of cholera
TG – GLENN, William; Born 1850; Died Apr. 26, 1914; husb. of Jane Elizabeth (Mock) Glenn

SL – JUAIRE, Byra Jean: Born Sept. 29, 1949; Died Oct. 11, 2004; widow of Gerold Jean "Jerry" Juaire; dau. of Albert Byron &
       Mildred (Nearhood) Glenn
SL – JUAIRE, Gerold Jean "Jerry"; Born Dec. 25, 1947; Died Aug. 16, 2000; husb. of Byra Jean (Glenn) Juaire; son of Joseph Jean
SL – NEARHOOD, Terry Ray; Born Nov. 1, 1945; Died July 30, 1991; husb. of Norma L. (McCarter) Nearhood; son of Albert &
       Mildred Glenn

I´m  surprised, you gave me a lot of new informations about some Familiy-members and brand new names and my hope to find still living relatives is reborn.

Thanks a lot

Michael

michael_glenn

Quote from: Marcia Moore on December 07, 2007, 09:38:16 PM

Mildred (Nearhood) Glenn
       Mildred Glenn

...the South Lawn cemetery is in the western part of Paw Paw- right?

Wilma

No, not right.  South Lawn Cemetery is in Greenwood County, about a mile west and a little bit north of Severy.  It is called South Lawn because it is just across the road south from Twin Grove Cemetery.  Twin Grove was the cemetery at Severy until more space was needed and not being able to go north with it, they went across the road south of it and named the new part South Lawn.  My in-laws are buried there.  It is easy to get to even though the highway that divided it has been moved.  The access from both directions is hard top and there are still several businesses east of the cemeteries.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk