looking for information on the author, Ruth Smith

Started by Audrey.Thompson, November 15, 2007, 09:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patyrn

Hazel Moore's memory is pretty weak, so she probably wouldn't be of much help.  Agnes Miller might be a viable source, but I'm not sure how her health situation is.  Anyone in Howard have any idea about that? 

W. Gray

Hazel Moore is 98 years old and I have visited her a few times on visits to Howard.

She never remembers me unless cued with "Jack Gray's boy."

She came to Howard at least by 1928.

I once asked her if she could remember Tommy Thompson (a famous Kansas newspaper editor from Howard though not as famous as William Allen White of Emporia).

She had no recollection.

Margaret Gragg is 93.

I met Agnes Miller once but otherwise do not know her.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Jo McDonald

To my knowledge Agnes is still very alert, and would welcome anyone I am sure.  Her brother Elwood is in Twilight Manor, but Agnes still lives in her own home and takes care of herself.   Agnes is in her 90's also, and has a hearing problem, but the last time I talked to her, she was fine.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Audrey.Thompson

Could you give me a snail mail address at which to write to her, given that she has hearing limitations?

My email is Thompson@pauahtun.org if you wouldn't mind sending me any information about how to contact her.  I am also happy to call, if she can talk on the phone if I talk loud.

Thank you so much!

Audrey

Leonardcrl

Audrey Thompson:

I was reviewing this thread and noticed that nobody responded to your question of the nearest airport.  Well during the 40 odd years of returning to Howard from all over the U.S. I can say there is no nearest airport.  Unless you have a private pilot among your associates, the closest you can get to Howard by commercial air is about 130 miles.  So it's rental car miles the rest of the way.  Since you are from Utah 130 miles shouldn't bother you.

I eventually came to prefer Tulsa Oklahoma as the airport of choice.  It is on the north side of Tulsa and it is a straight shot up US-75 to Bartlesville then by US-60 to OK-99 which turns into Ks-99 straight into Howard.  Wichita and Kansas City are both require driving through or around metropolitan areas to get on the road towards Howard.  However both have points of interest which would make for interesting stops. 

If you are coming from southern Illinois you are better off driving the whole way.  I spent six winters in Kokomo Indiana and after three trips through O'Hare to Kansas City, I figured out that it still took a day and a half to get to Howard.  I could drive the distance in the same length of time, some times a lot quicker when summer thunderstorms closed down O'Hare.
Regards
-=Carl=-
San Antonio Tx.

Janet Harrington

There is always good old Wichita airport.  You just have to drive from the west side of Wichita all the way through on Kellogg to get going east on 400 to K-99 to Howard.  Not a problem. 

As for wanting information, even though Elwood Miller is in the Nursing Home, his mind is very intact.  He is a wealth of information.

Audrey.Thompson

Once again, many thanks to all of you!  I would love to contact these folks if you think they would be comfortable with a phone call.  I am also very tempted to visit, but I doubt that it would be before some months, at the earliest -- I appreciate the advice on how to get there, though, in case I can make plans in advance.  If you have a # where I could reach either Agnes Miller or Elwood Miller (are they related?), could you send me the information at the following email?

Thompson@pauahtun.org

Thank you so much!  It would be great to talk with folks who knew Ruth Smith.

Best, Audrey

Teresa

Agnus Miller's address is
242 North Cedar
Howard Ks  67349
Her phone # is 620-374-2238

Elwood is in the Howard Twilight Manor Nursing Home.
He is very sharp and loves to visit and can remember many things in detail .
The Nursing Home's number is 620-374-2495
and the address there is: 849 East Washington.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Audrey.Thompson

frawin

When we lived in Pratt, we always took the loop around Wichita to avoid going on Kellogg.  If we were traveling late at night, we would sometimes use Kellogg, but it was much easier to take the loop around.

Myrna

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk