Watch the Sky on August 27th

Started by Teresa, July 26, 2007, 10:07:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

Never again in your lifetime will the Red Planet be so spectacular!
This month and next month the Earth is catching up with Mars... an encounter that will be the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history.

The next time Mars will come this close is in 2287.
Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the last 5,000 years, and it may be as long as 60,000 years.

The encounter will happen on August 27th when Mars comes to within 34,649,589 miles and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the night sky.
Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye.
Mars will be easy to spot.

At the beginning of August, Mars will rise in the east at 10 p.m. and reach its highest at about 3 a.m.
By the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30 a.m.

That's pretty convenient when it comes to seeing something that no human has seen in recorded history.

So mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars , as it grows progressively brighter and brighter throughout the month.
Share with your children and grandchildren.
No one alive today will ever see this again.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

kdfrawg

I have been watching it get bigger again. It was pretty close a couple of years ago, but this is even better. Thanks for the info!

frawin

Teresa, Truthorfiction.com says that is an e-rumor that has been going around for years and will not be happening.
Frank

Wilma

Aw, Frank, are you sure?  I was getting all excited.

frawin

kdfrawg

I have apparently been watching the sky get clearer.

::)

LisaT

Yes everybody this is a definite hoax that has been going around since 2003.

Diane Amberg

I'd rather go out in the country on Aug.12 and watch the Perseid meteor shower, which isn't a hoax. We were lucky enough to see Halleys comet on Christmas eve. 1986, the year it was near. Once we found that smudgy cotton ball, we helped my parent see it and they were thrilled. Daddy said he never thought he would get to see it. You all should have gotten an even better look, less sky shine out there.

W. Gray

What might be an interesting fact.

Samuel Clemens, aka Mark Twain, was born when Halley's comet appeared. And, he died the next time Halley's Comet flew by.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk