Why the name calling and the nastiness?

Started by Mom70x7, May 15, 2016, 04:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mom70x7

I don't get it. Why the continued name calling on here?

I know politics is often considered "rough" - but that doesn't mean it needs to be nasty. What's wrong with saying "I disagree" and "Here is what I think." Why belittle the people and opinions that aren't your own?

When I was growing up, my parents said people started calling names when they lacked the education and manners to successfully defend their opinions. If your political position is sound and based on facts, it shouldn't be necessary to denigrate those who disagree.

I've met several of you, and think those I've met have beautiful manners, so I don't understand why the name calling. It doesn't happen in person.

Does the distance between people provided by the forum (and internet) reduce the need for manners?

I grew up in a large family; we definitely had (and still have) our disagreements. We don't do put-downs and name calling, however. We have some very heated discussions, but we allow each other to disagree. My brother and I joke that in national elections, we cancel each other's vote. My husband and I have been known to "cancel" each other's vote. That's life. Not a cause for being mean.

Thoughts???

Ross

I truly like your post.

However, people can be just as rude with out calling names, and insinuating.
People can be just as nasty with very polite words, just as well as calling names.

When my son was attacked
and
When our military was attacked
and
Our Veterans were attacked with a put down,
my blood boiled.

And as an ex-Navy man I told it like it was,
I was extremely rude,
I recognized that,
but I felt it was deserved..
Had it been said to my face, the very same response would have came from my mouth,
with no reservations. I don't care if it was the President of the US.
I learned through my military service respect is earned not deserved.

I admit people being ugly with their nice soft spoken, polite words
does piss me off. And my sailor slips out.

I have never been Politically Correct and I most likely never will be.

I live with my faults and I don't regret them.

Because, I am human.

Wilma

You are absolutely right, Mom.  Too bad that the people that are doing the nasty on here don't recognize themselves.  They have ruined the Forum for the ones of us that enjoy friendly discussions, etc.  The least they could do is to stay out of the friendly threads and stick to the threads that they start for the purpose of showing their ignorance.

frawin

WILMA AND MOM YOU ARE BOTH RIGHT ON. MY WIFE QUIT THE FORUM ALTOGETHER AND I ALMOST HAVE. I LOVED THE GOOD OLD DAYS. GOOD NIGHT ALL.

Ross

You quit the forum and all it various threads because why?

Because you are forced to read what you don't like ?

frawin

Ross no one forced us to Read anything. I assume we have the right to Pick and Choose what we want to read.

redcliffsw

Then Ross didn't cause you to leave the forum - did he?

Ross

Quote from: frawin on May 16, 2016, 05:41:15 AM
Ross no one forced us to Read anything. I assume we have the right to Pick and Choose what we want to read.

YEP, THAT'S WHAT I SAID !

Then you have nothing to cry about, right?

And there are lot's of threDS AND SUBJECTS, RIGHT?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk