Where was it?

Started by W. Gray, December 07, 2015, 01:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

Waldo, I am guessing it was at Eureka and maybe the Drive In. It Says Eureka on it. I remember when Eureka had a Drive IN.

Dee Gee

With it being the Princess Theatre  and showing Eureka it has to be the Princess Theatre on North Main in Eureka, Kansas.
Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

frawin

I agree Degee, I said the Drive In, Myrna agrees with you. I said the Drive In as Myrna and I went there several times.

W. Gray

To answer my own question: I don't know specifically where this theater was located, but  because of the time-frame, the mode of travel, and the condition of the roads, I am reasonably sure that it was in Howard rather than somewhere else.

The advertisement comes from the January 29, 1914, edition of the Howard Courant, Tom Thompson, aka Polk Daniels, editor. The ad did not give an address.

The Elk County history book does not mention the Princess theater but says there were theaters at different times located on the corner where the Cox Community building is now at Wabash and Washington.

The Elk County history book also says the Crooks Theater was built in 1924 on the east side of the 100 s Wabash block. So, the Princess apparently was never at that location. That location eventually became the Plaza theater.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk