Property tax relief is coming to Elk County...

Started by Patriot, February 29, 2012, 10:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patriot

IF you are prepared to spend a minimum of $10,000 (down from the original $20,000 and less than Mr Liebau's desired 30K to50K) to make improvements to your real property...and pay the non-refundable $100 application fee...and if the improvements result in a specified % increase in your property taxes...and if the county appraiser approves your application...and if you pay the full property taxes on time...

You, too, may receive a rebate of 95% to 97% of the resulting increase in property taxes.  The rebate will be paid out each year for 5 years on a declining scale.  Oh, structures that are exempt from property taxation under state law (like hay barns, fixed greenhouses & wind generators) won't qualify.  Neither will fences/gates, most likely.

It's on the county agenda & Jennifer Montgomery (formerly Brummel) is already doing a sell job to the Elk Falls & Howard city councils.  

It's all part of a "neighborhood revitalization" program being pushed by Commissioners Liebau & Hendricks.  Such programs have been authorized by the State of Kansas to help municipalities give incentives to property owners to improve blighted areas.  Even though the state strongly discourages implementation of such programs on a city or county wide basis... our apppraiser, two commissioners and economic development director  are not planning to heed that guidance.  Heck, Ms Hendricks even suggested (at the last commission meeting) that most of Elk County is blighted any way.

So contact your bank loan officer or cash in those CDs and contact the building contractor!

I wonder... how many average citizens in Elk County will be able to afford to build & take advantage of this new government program..... I'm sure the owners of the old bank building in Howard, operators of trail ride operations or RV parks/fish farms will be able to.

How about we stop this nonsense.  This is an incentive for the very folks who least need 'government giveaways'.  Let them build and then pay their fair share of taxes to help fund county, school & town operations.  The state requires a local public hearing before these programs are adopted... so be prepared.

By the way, the plan being pushed for Elk County is being patterened after one in Meade County... you know, another Public Square/Terry Woodbury community,  Wait... isn't Ms Hendricks on the Public Square payroll?  Why, yes, she is.  Hmmmm.

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Wilma

Patriot, when are you going to stop sneering at our public officials and run for public office yourself?  You think you know so much more about this county then two of our native citizens do?

ELK@KC

Wilma, maybe he has already been a County Commissioner.

Ross

I figured Public Squares and Elk Konnected, LLC was involved in this when they first started the talks about it.
I wonder how long they have been talking behind closed doors about it.

This isn't no Economic Development Program.

To me it is just another "Beggar Thy Neighbor" Program.

To bad they didn't start it openly before all tourist trail ride to the windfarm and the fish farm got started.
Now. They can't say it was planned first.

Like Elk Konnected, LLC was started before the wind farm. But they don't say the wind farm was in the testing and environmental stages do they.

What can you expect of an Elk Konnected County Commissioners Board, except for Mr. Ritz that is.
We just don't find many of the Mr. Ritz type these days.

It appears to me to be Elk Konnected County Commissioner Liebau
                                Elk Konnected County Commissioner Hendricks
                                Elk Konnected Youth Development
                                                        And
                                 Elk Konnected Economic Development

If they truly wanted Economic Development in Elk County why not plan for real Economic Development?
Purchase about  100 Acres at the intersection of 99 and 160 and start an Elk County Industrial Park.
Then they could offer land to companies to develop their manufacturing business' on and allow them the 5 to 10 years tax breaks for the tax base that would grow from the influx of people. This would provide good paying jobs and bring real money and real people into the county. Wouldn't that bring the growth that real economic development could provide?

But folks, I don't believe this is about Elk County Growth, that would bring in people with more money then the ones that have money now. And I don't believe they would like that, do you?

No, I think the present program is simply another, "Beggar Thy Neighbor" Program.

What is the blight in Elk County?

They might be referring to Howard's old abandoned high school, do you suppose?
Why doesn't Elk Konnected, LLC use it powers to tell Howard to get rid of it?
It's inside the city limit's, taxed by the city, therefore a city problem, not a county problem.
Can't Elk Konnected, LLC with all their visionaries come up with some more free money to help the City of Howard?
Can't Elk Konnected, LLC get 'em a grant to tear that eye sore down?
Git 'er done.

It's not a county problem but a city problem.

But to even to indicate that Beautiful Elk County is a blight is a very negative thing, and just terrible, don't ya think?

That coming from Elk Konnected, LLC is simply disgraceful in my opinion?
If they think that terribly of our county why don't they take their privately owned company (LLC)  back to Wichita County  where it was conceived?  Maybe, they would be happier over there, what do you think?

If and when we get new County Commissioners perhaps they will discontinue wasting taxpayers money on the Elk Konnected Youth Development and Elk Konnected Economic Development positions and put the money to good use paying down the county's debts and graveling roads and perhaps up date or repair some of the road departments equipment. Perhaps?

Personally if I was holding those Youth Development and Economic Development positions, I'd be smart enough to be loooking else where.
Even though I don't have a degree, I'd be reading the writing on the wall.

Wilma two of your native citizens work more for Elk Konnected, LLC then they do for the taxpayers of Elk County, can't you see that?
Even Commissioner Liebeu's aunt called him on the carpet at a County Commissioners meeting, remember?

And I ain't got them papers from no college an I kan kin kinda figir out wats happenin. Sorta. LOL ;D
And I do believe most people have figured it out!

It's an exceptionally beautiful day in Elk County, so I'm getting outside and enjoy it.
I hope each and every one gets to do the very same thing.
Enjoy this beautiful day that is.

srkruzich

Quote from: Wilma on March 01, 2012, 08:10:51 AM
Patriot, when are you going to stop sneering at our public officials and run for public office yourself?  You think you know so much more about this county then two of our native citizens do?

ROTFL One answer is the same answer nationwide. good ole boy network won't allow it.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Humpy

Property taxes are enough strain as it is. A $10,000 dollar investment for an abatement is absurd at least.
   I will be interested to see how many fall for this. (and who)

Humpy

In addition this is wealth (class) discrimination at its worst.
Once again the little guy bends over and takes it while the ruling class trundels on.

Ross

You guys understand.
ROTFLMAO
I sure wish more did.

jarhead

Quote from Wilma:
Patriot, when are you going to stop sneering at our public officials and run for public office yourself? You think you know so much more about this county then two of our native citizens do?

Wilma,
I have been a "native" to Elk County for over 60 years and I don't know  horse crap from apple butter when it comes to the way the county is run so I don't think being a "native" has much to do with anything. Why do you put so much faith into something someone says that might have been born local, but moved away for their entire life but when someone moved here they don't know didly squat ? Not fighting with you, just asking a question

Patriot

Patriot, when are you going to stop sneering at our public officials...

As soon as four conditions are met....

1.  The 1st amendment to the US Constitution is repealed, and;
2.  The state stops taking my property/money under penalty of life or liberty, and;
3.  Our government officials stop enacting programs to enrich themselves at the expense of average citizens, and;
4.  Hell freezes over.

The price of peace and liberty is eternal vigilance!

...and run for public office yourself?

Interesting idea.  I'll consider it.  Can I count on your vote?

You think you know so much more about this county then two of our native citizens do?

It appears that a handful of your so called native citizens have created a local government that operates inefficiently, is often self-serving, neglects the needs of average citizens, panders to cronies and has created a shrinking county with the highest property tax rates in the State of Kansas.  Just because I may not know all the historical local monikers for local landmarks like Wolf Trail, Blood Alley and Peoples Hill doesn't mean I can't see cronyism, political favoritism, special interest pandering, self serving policy agendas and weak management on the part of government.  Seeing it on a local level is not much different from seeing it on a state or national level.... IF one pulls their head out and looks.

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk