Author Topic: GAF MINI-MUSTER - SUNDAY, JULY 23, TOPEKA, KANSAS!!  (Read 12798 times)

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: GAF MINI-MUSTER - SUNDAY, JULY 23, TOPEKA, KANSAS!!
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2006, 05:40:07 PM »
Hey Chantilly,

If I shoot Cap & Ball Pistols, can I bring two and load two for the Pistol Reloads?
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Chantilly

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2006, 09:44:32 PM »
Pvt Hoover - Your Blackhawk is fine!

Major Lewis - You can bring a second pistol or a second cylinder - neither option can be capped - cap on the clock - will that work?
A six-shooter makes men and women equal.  - Agnes Morley Cleaveland (1818-1889)

I should like a little fun now and then.  Life is altogether too sober.  - Elizabeth Blackwell (1821-1910)

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2006, 08:52:50 AM »
Sure,

But you just convinced me to shoot a cartridge revolver.... ;D
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 11:55:29 AM »

Offline Chantilly

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2006, 08:57:20 PM »
Sure,

But you just convinced me to shoot a cartridge revolver.... ;D

Wimp....   ;)

Come on - you can do it!  I'm writing so that each stage will involve either the pistol reloads OR the rifle reloads - not both guns - with some challenging targets but not so challenging that they can't be hit by most - some movement but not so much that we have heat stroke!!  I'm trying to get to 30 to 60 second shooting scenarios for about 45 shooters in 3 squads.  Average ammo count will be 17 to 19 per scenario.  I'll have a better round count by early July.  AND if you want the Wild Bunch Side match - 4 person team - 2 guns each shooter - well then....  We want to finish before dark-thirty!  MINI-Muster with 6 stages  ;D

Oh yes....and EVERY good little trooper will get a special surprise momento   :)

I should like a little fun now and then.  Life is altogether too sober.  - Elizabeth Blackwell (1821-1910)

Offline Chantilly

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2006, 09:01:30 PM »
A second revolver can be capped and in the holster just like any main match pistol at the start of your stage.. A change out of cylinder can be charged, but capped on the clock.

One pistol shoot - one pistol can be charged and capped and ready to go - second pistol or change out cylinder - can be charged but capped on the clock.  Does that make more sense?? 

Chantilly (who does not shoot cap & ball and has to ask the hubby for help on these kinds of questions...)   :)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2006, 09:53:59 PM »
Chantilly darlin', can I use my Blakeslee Quick loader with my Spencer?
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Chantilly

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2006, 10:19:10 PM »
Sgt Drydock....darlin'....sure, you can. 

Chantilly (who is a sucker for sweet talk)

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2006, 08:59:49 AM »
You know, I will use the Henry with the Navy Conversion....I am not comfortable yet with the Cap & Ball Pistols yet to try capping on the clock.  I fear that it may result in a dropped pistol.
Major Matt Lewis

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2006, 09:32:00 AM »
Major and Bvt Lt Col Lewis-

When it comes to cap and ball pistols .... practice, practice, practice...

I had my one and only clear match to date using C&B pistols - at the first match I shot after returning from Iraq. 

US Scout
Bvt Brig Gen

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2006, 04:55:15 PM »
I don't reckon we can make it.   >:(
I am to report to Ft Indiantown Gap the on the following weeknd for U15 school. 
So I'll probably be too tied up to make it. 
Y'all have a fine shoot.     ;D

Mustang Gregg, SFC
Troop F, 1-124th Air Cav
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2006, 10:40:15 PM »
Chantilly darlin', :D  do you have a round count yet?  I may need to order more Spencer brass.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Chantilly

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2006, 11:29:54 PM »
Not yet - I should be able to get the stages finished over the July 4 weekend and will post a better count then.  I'm guessing around 70 rounds for the rifle and 65 or so pistol if that helps.  I always say bring extra.....in case you drop a few rounds on the last stage (slippery little suckers!!) ....they die on the ground...

AND if we have enough interest in the Wild Bunch Team Match - you'll want some ammo for that....4 person team - each shooter will shoot two guns -
     1 shooter = 1911 and 97;
     1 shooter = 1911 and rifle;
     1 shooter = 6 shooter and rifle, (I call dibbs on this combo  ;D)
     1 shooter = 6 shooter and 97

Each Pistol will shoot 5 rounds; each rifle will shoot 7 rounds; each shotgun will shoot 4 shells - all guns staged on a table, total team time with 10 seconds added for each miss   This is a fun team match - you can shoot on more than one team if you want AND if the same team wants to shoot again (time counts only for the first time) that team can go for it just for the fun of it!   8)

I got the last of the items I needed today to make the special momentos for participating in the shoot - When I get one done, I'll post a picture.

EVERYONE IS WELCOME!!  $10.00 per shooter - sign up at the match between 8:30 and 9:15 am - safety meeting at 9:30 am!!

Look forward to seeing you at the Mini Muster! 
Chantilly

Offline Chantilly

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2006, 08:10:56 PM »
I got the word on camping - yes, you can.  There are 5 hook ups (electrical) and plenty of space for lots of dry camping.  Area has lots of trees for shade.   Let me know if you plan to camp!

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2006, 06:45:52 AM »
  Chantilly,
  What categories are you using? Sass or NCOWS, If SASS I'll need a refresher course, I'll shoot  a 75 Remington w/ 73 Win.  OR  58 Rem c&b w/ a 66 Win. (Both w/ BP and one hand pistol , of course) What are my SASS options, Also thinking about this for t-town.

PS I think the party the 22nd should be at your house, (your'e closest)
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2006, 08:17:37 AM »

PS I think the party the 22nd should be at your house, (your'e closest)

To be honest, that's a pretty good Idea....

So, who is coming to this event, besides myself, Trap, Michelle, Lone Gunman, Quickfire and Sgt. Drydock?
Major Matt Lewis

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2006, 07:44:23 PM »
Megan O'Ruckus and I will be there.  We will probably come up Sat. afternoon and get a room for the night in one of the local inns.  Did someone say PARTY ?!?!?!
Guns
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline Chantilly

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2006, 10:00:06 PM »
LOL - Party, huh?  I'll be out at the range Saturday afternoon to set up. We're even going to put some Buffalo out.  A little partying and the buffalo herd will be facing off in all directions!  I still have to convince the long range shooters to let me paint the buffalo brown.  For some reason, they think they should all be white!  We may end up with a herd of the great white buffalo.  Newton Honey starts worrying when I write stages.....wish we had time to build a fort!  We may be repainting a prop so I can have my fort...truth be known, Fot Wallace shouldn't be too hard ... and I need a sand bar but I think the Gun Club would put me out of their misery if I dump a load of sand on the range!  Where are the enlisted men when you need them?? 

Trap, you are asking tough questions here....categories...well, as far as I'm concerned we can shoot this as the first combined NCOWS/SASS category shoot ever!  Actually, we will be using the NCOWS categories - same categories used for the Muster. I expect we will have at least 30 shooters even if its on the hot side.  If the weather will be kind, I wouldn't be surprised if we had close to 50 - there's some curiousity amongst the Kansas shooters.  Since this is a SASS range, all SASS approved guns are allowed - sort of a hybrid shoot - sometimes you have to give a little to get it to go!  I bought a 73 Winchester (no short stroke) so I'd have a correct rifle to match up with the pistol and clothes...but durn, it isn't here yet! 

Regards and look forward to seeing you!!  And if you want to come out to our place - you are certainly welcome!

Chantilly

Offline Chantilly

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2006, 01:21:32 AM »
REMINDER!!

GAF MINI MUSTER IS THIS SUNDAY, JULY 23 IN TOPEKA, KANSAS!!  The safety meeting will begin at 9:30 am, shoot following.  We will shoot this match with ONE PISTOL (yes, your regular match pistol is fine) AND ONE RIFLE (yes, your regular match rifle is fine!).  We MAY shoot a shotgun on a stage but the shotgun and ammo will be provided. 

Scenarios will reflect frontier military/Indian skirmishes from Kansas history that occurred primarily between 1864 to 1868.  If you want to shoot SASS or NCOWS legal pistol caliber weapons of that time period, bring ‘em on!  Perhaps we’ll see some Spencers on the range Sunday.  Rifle will be loaded with a maximum of 7 rounds at the Mini-Muster, so there is no disadvantage to bringing Spencer!

We will reload the pistol with a maximum of 5 rounds on 3 stages AND we will reload the rifle with a maximum of 7 rounds on 3 stages plus one more rifle round for luck.  BRING PLENTY OF AMMO – about 75 rounds rifle and 65 rounds pistol.  Better bring extra in case you drop some on the last stage! 

$10.00 match fee and every good trooper (and that’s everyone!) will receive a special prize for participating.  RANGE MAP AT http://www.kansascas.com/ccc_range_map.htm

To properly set the ambience, we will shoot in SQUADS instead of posses.  This shoot is a scaled down version of the GAF Muster so TARGET SIZE AND DISTANCES WILL VARY – some big and up close and some a bit smaller and further out.  We will use NCOWS (just like the GAF Muster) rule of 10-second penalties for misses.  Accuracy counts! 

We will also be using the following categories for sign up –
Men’s and Women’s Smokeless Shootist: Shooters may shoot smokeless powder and may fire handguns using a two-handed grip.

Men’s and Women’s Blackpowder Shootist: Shooters must shoot blackpowder or approved blackpowder substitute powder in all firearms, and may fire handguns using a two-handed grip.

Men’s and Women’s Smokeless Duelist: Shooters may shoot smokeless powder and must fire handguns using a one-handed grip.

Men’s and Women’s Blackpowder Duelist: Shooters must shoot blackpowder or approved black powder substitute in all firearms, and must fire handguns using a one-handed grip.

Men’s and Women’s Pistoleer: Shooters are restricted to the use of percussion revolvers, pre-1873 percussion or original/authentic reproductions of rimfire cartridge pocket pistols, and reproduction or original pre-1873 pistol-caliber repeating rifles (e.g. 1860 Henry, Spencer, 1866 Winchester, etc: Shooters must shoot blackpowder or approved blackpowder substitute powder in all firearms except those chambered for rimfire cartridges. Pistols and revolvers must be shot one-handed.

Men’s and Women’s Seniors: Shall be open to those over age 60 only, may use any of the above shooting styles.

Men’s and Women’s Elder: Shall be open to those over the age of 70 only, may use any of the above shooting styles.

AND…you will declare a BRANCH – Marines, Cavalry, Infantry, Artillery, Navy, Scout or Cowpoke  - Please try to match your attire to your Branch, if possible. 

WILD BUNCH SIDE MATCH FOLLOWING THE SIX STAGES OF THE MINI-MUSTER– 4 person team - each shooter will shoot two guns -
     1 shooter = 1911 and 97;
     1 shooter = 1911 and rifle;
     1 shooter = 6 shooter and rifle                               
     1 shooter = 6 shooter and 97

Each Pistol will shoot 5 rounds; each rifle will shoot 7 rounds; each shotgun will shoot 4 shells - all guns staged on a table, total team time with 10 seconds added for each miss   This is a fun team match - you can shoot on more than one team if you want AND if the same team wants to shoot again (time counts only for the first time) that team can go for it just for the fun of it!

Since this is a celebration, there will be an appropriate cake waiting with Lemonade and water, as well.  No food vendors at the range so bring your lunch! 

AND…Major Matt Lewis will head up a Color Guard to appropriately open the Mini Muster! 

A News Release is being sent to the local Newspaper and TV Stations.  Maybe you will be a celebrity!

The Weather Forecast for Sunday is calling for a high of 89 degrees!  All signs are clear for a really fun and unique day! 

Hope you can make it!

Regards,

Chantilly

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2006, 12:23:32 PM »
  There should be at least 4 KVC shooters all shooting BP of course. any Neb. or Ia. folks comming?         jt
  OH! almost forgot ,Major Matt will probably be there , Surely he will be shooting BP also!?!
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2006, 12:39:46 PM »
Major Matt shooting blackpowder. RIGHT ::) ;D

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com