Author Topic: Can you bring guns to your workplace?  (Read 19570 times)

Offline Willie Wheelgun

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Can you bring guns to your workplace?
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2004, 07:58:48 PM »
I have a '94 and 1851 Colt hanging on the wall.  I guess I can. ;D
Land of the free BECAUSE of the brave!
God Bless America
Soos Creek, Washington Territory

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2004, 09:53:47 AM »
Well before I retired I worked for the University of Wisconsin.  One of the more liberal institutions of higher learning.

When Donna Shalala (spl?) of the late Clinton administration was our Chancellor some of us in the power plant (including the Superintendent) bought a whole case of SKSs real cheap.  We disassembled them in the tool room and cleaned all the grease off in the parts washer.  She would have had a fit if she'd have known ;)

Will Ketchum
That is an understatement. 

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Chase N. Crooks

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2004, 07:02:47 AM »
I think I would be shocked if I didn't see someone bring in a toy or two through out the day.   Of course we all carry the Gov't issue when we are here at work.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 11:23:50 PM »

Offline Shiloh Sharpie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2004, 02:05:29 PM »
Hey, Irish Red O'Toole, am I to infer what you do now is not honest work?   ;)
Shiloh Sharpie
SASS 10477 Life
-------------------------------------------------------
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2004, 10:15:58 PM »
Depends. 

I work for a US government organization in the very liberal city of Washington, DC.  Firearms are not allowed in the building.

Right now, they have me deployed to Baghdad.  I pack an M9 (not my choice) everyday, everywhere I go.  I'd love to be packing anything in .45 ACP but that was not an option.

Funny thing is, I don't see much difference in the threat whether it be in Baghdad or DC!

US Scout
Baghdad

Offline Capt. Jack McQuesten

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2004, 08:40:40 PM »
Fortunately for me......it goes with the badge! (Been waiting a long time to say that!)
SASS #56937  BOLD #527  RATS #120  WARTHOG
"There's payment to be made to them thats done this...."

Offline Howdy Doody

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2004, 09:31:02 AM »
Like Foothills Drifter, I work at a truck dealership too and in the employee handbook they state no firearms on the property, including cars. There hasn't been any trouble with it. No one else besides myself and one mechanic seems to be interested in guns and I don't bring the subject up, although it has come up, because the mechanic worked with me at another dealership and he knows I shoot CAS and has been out to watch a match. He has asked me about shooting in front of others and I saw strange looks, so I don't even mention it at all around the workplace. Work in my line is hard to come by, so why press my luck.
Then again the employee handbook says no drugs either and I have seen some dialated pupils and strange behavior, but what do I know. In my case it is better to ignore and keep the paychecks coming. I was just out of work for 13 months and I hope to retire next year, I hope, maybe.  :)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Offline Marauder

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Marauder's Old West Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2004, 01:04:16 PM »
Well before I retired I worked . . .   One of the more liberal institutions . .

It sure is interesting to see how the meaning of words change.  Modern definition of liberal -  unforgiving, strict, dogmatic. 

Sure hate to see the older idea of liberal be replaced with the new.  President Jefferson and many others seemed to think we had a right and responsibility to carry, but I sure cannot do so working for the federal government now.

Offline Knuckles

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2004, 03:53:55 PM »
I would really be screwed.  Not only do I work in a public school, but I'm also in one of the most anti-gun states in the Union, and in that state, I'm in the most anti-gun county.

Yup, they'd hang me.  :)

Offline Micheal Fortune

• Top Active Citizen
    • Micheal Fortune
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2004, 08:29:31 PM »
I always carry, or have one stashed handy.  I'm a bartender in Montana.  It's leagal to carry in a bar if it's your place of business, but it's not leagle to carry them in a bar even if you have a permit.  Mine's tucked away, the customers have never suspected and I been working at this place for 5 years now. 

It never makes no sence to get flashy about such things............

Fortune
Saloon Keeper, Gambler, Shootist
Sun River Rangers Shooting Society / SASS 60159 / R.O.-1 / SBSS 1685 / G.O.F.W.G. 89 / RATS 58 / KGC 4 /

Offline Standpat Steve

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2004, 10:06:34 PM »
Ten years ago, I worked right in Los Angeles City Hall (which some of you might recognize from 1950's TV as the Daily Planet Building) and we would bring in handguns to show co-workers in our offices. After a shooting by a disgruntled worker at an auxilliary location, it was decided we would all be safer unarmed.

Many of us have firearms in our vehicles in our Earthquake kits. Since we work in the field part of the day, it would be unfortunate to become another Reginald Denny (the truck driver beaten senseless at the beginning of the latest riot).  We cannot predict earthquakes, and might have to walk home from various parts of town if things went bad for any reason. Our prevailing theory (perhaps not management or the politicians) is-if you are really carrrying concealed, then NOBODY knows, and if NOBODY knows, there is no violation of City Policy.   
Standpat Steve, SASS #113, NCOWS #1468

Offline Will Haftowaite

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2004, 10:54:05 PM »
Hi I am new here...
As you can pr'bly tell. ;D
When I was working for MCI then became WorldCom, There was only one person in our shop who could carry at work. (He had a Fedral liacence) long story.
I once wore a Rennassance costume on Holloween, With Rapier, They Freaked!
I never wore a costume there again.
Until Of course I lost my Job due to Mister Ebbers Rip off of the company.
WorldCom Stock? Oh that stuff in my bathroom?
Sigh...
Any way I have at other jobs carried and needed to rough neiborhood, only had one problem and that was taken care of quietly they left... :)

I just went to my first shoot , always like the cowboym but didn't have the tiem or even knew of it.
So here I are... :)

Will Haftowaite

'cus that si what you are going to have to do...

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Major General, VIII Corps, Commander Middle Dept.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Savior of Washington D.C.
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2004, 08:22:01 AM »
That would be a big negatory.  Active duty military on the installation.  Does that make sense?  Nope.  I can walk all over the base carrying an M-16, or similar military nomenclature firearm.  But if the gate guards were to ever search my car and find me bringing my cowboy guns and/or accessories to work on a weekend at the fire station, I would be in trouble.  Not that I've ever done that mind you... bring stuff to work at the fire station on the weekend to do some stuff.  Well, at least not in the last 3 years anyway.   :-X
Retired USAF, 20 years defending my beloved nation
NRA Life, SUVCW, GAF#164, AF&AM, AASR

"This is my native state.  I will not leave it to serve the South.  Down the street yonder is the old cemetery, and my father lies there going to dust.  If I fight, I tell you, it shall be for his bones." -Lew Wallace, after the 1860 election

Offline El Peludo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2004, 11:40:44 AM »
Before I retired - NO; "--no firearm, cartridge, or any part thereof, on company property, whether in a personal vehicle or otherwise."

After I retired, it was expanded to include "any weapon of any kind"; "weapon" being the important word, was not defined, but the interpretation was left up to management on site.  I often wondered what they thought about the wiremens skinning knives and scissors that we carried in a little scabbard on our belts.
El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2004, 07:12:49 PM »
Wear my 58 Remmy every day. part of my work clothes, course I gots spurs with jingle bobs on them to.  Last year on Halloweeen wore my gary wool pants, old grungy hat, earthtone blue ancd cream bibshirt, catridge belt with 45-70's, ripper, skinner and steel on the belt.  Put the soundtrack ta Quigley on the steriooo, most of my younger co-workers (read kids) from the other depts in the store could not figger out if I was wearing anything different, except the remmy got replaced by a Sharps.

Guess they only thought I was a cosie, never seen me as a buffalo hunter.  Folks bring guns in all the time fer Terry or I ta look at, ID or ta see how they fit in a holster.  Couse workin' in the "Old West Shop" at the Fort Western Outfiters here in Lincoln helps that.  But used ta work in small shops and such and it never was a problem there either.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2004, 08:26:22 PM »
Also, when I worked at the University power plants I used to bring a loading press in and load ammo during my shift.  Itaught several co-workers how to reload ;D.

They wouldn't have liked that either!!

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Sidewinder Sills

• Brush Popper
  • Active citizen
  • Work hard, play harder.....
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2004, 02:31:25 PM »
I'll pack iron to work right after I win the California lottery!! I work for a large southern CA city and the LEO's at the metal detector down stairs would probably not see it my way.

I did once for about a month. We had a meth-head fired from the warehouse I managed and he threatened every one of us involved. I personally knew he had come to work armed (in the warehouse) previously so we all took him seriously. I packed my semi-auto .40 cal, the parts dept manager had his semi-auto Beretta 9mm, and the shipping manager had semi-auto SW Model 1006 in 10mm. One other guy actually had a big stainless .357 Magnum hanging in an Uncle Mike's shoulder holster.

I was glad when that month was over, let me tell you........ :o

Sidewinder~~~~~

Offline Sam Hane

• Very Active Citizen
    • White Tree Productions
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2004, 01:27:31 AM »
I once wore a Rennassance costume on Holloween, With Rapier, They Freaked!

Hehe. We may have somethings in common ...... SCA?

I'm self-employed, so my boss says to carry everywhere I can.
Sam Hane
SASS 28778 Bold 118
Senior Chaplain: 9th Memorial Cavalry

Offline Sergeant Smokepole

• Dark Lord of The Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2004, 09:09:34 PM »
Fortunately for me......it goes with the badge! (Been waiting a long time to say that!)

Same same for me

Offline Onery Arlys

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2004, 09:56:38 AM »
No but i go in some rough area's and my boss knows i'm legal so even though he is a screaming liberal ( he thinks canada is to concervative....no lie) he plays the game and does not ask questions .
The lord does not judge a man until he's dead then why sould i
Someone should bust you in the mouth....but i won't...i won't ....to hell i won't

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com