Author Topic: From .22LR to 45 Colt  (Read 4264 times)

ImAGem

From .22LR to 45 Colt
« on: April 05, 2006, 12:17:28 PM »
Hey all-

I have two .22 rifles, spent a couple years plinking around with them, and am thinking of upgrading.  (graduating, if you will).  I laid my eyes on (and held) an EMF Winchester 1892 carbine, with (gasp!) a saddle ring!  I have thought of nothing since!!  I really want to walk in and pick this gun up but it's a 45 colt.  I'm a strong gal, 5'8, athletic. Is this too much gun for me?  Will I be in for a surprise when I sqeeze the trigger for the first time?

I see they make 45 colt cartridges in 165 gr, 200 gr, and 250 gr.  Will the lesser grain rounds lessen the recoil?

Many thanks for any advice/opinions folks!

Helen

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: From .22LR to 45 Colt
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 12:34:17 PM »
ImAGem,

The 45 should not give you much of a problem in the 200 grain area the rifle will take up most of the recoil.

Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 01:06:48 PM »
It will be a difference from a .22 rifle but the 92 Carbine is probably heavier than the .22 rifles which will soak up recoil. The .45 Colt in a rifle is kind of a pussy cat compared to a .30-06. You should have no problem with it. My wife is 5' 6" and shoots my Marlin .45 Colt with no problem.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:06:33 AM »

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 08:41:08 AM »
I have two rifles in .45 caliber. there is no recoil to speak of from either of them. Both are hefty enough to absorb what kick the rounds do generate. If I had to compare the recoil effect I would say that the recoil from either of my rifles amounts to about the recoil of a .410 shotgun if that much.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline BlaiseNSaddles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 07:43:07 PM »
From 22 to 45 will be different but nothing bad.  I use 45s in all the guns.
The only thing I changed was for the revolvers I went to using 45 S&W so I could try duelist shooting (which I am loving!).

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 07:29:46 AM »
ImAGem:
   Ya don say nutthin 'bout whether ya reload r buy factory ammo, ifn ya reload stay within the pirimiters o cowboy action loads fer ya .45 rifle,  r buy 'cowboy' action factory loads ta shoot n ya should hav no trouble.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Fixit Wright

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 02:29:15 PM »
April 8

Does anyone know if Uberti and EMF guns are derived from the same manufacturer?  The bisley and other  revolvers look very similar, but are priced differently.
Thanks in advance,
Hawkeye Harv

ImAGem

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 12:04:12 PM »
Thanks all for the positive input.  I did purchase the .45 colt and put a box of MagTech CAL 250gr thru it yesterday.  It was GREAT!!! What a thrill to fire. Can't wait til I can go again! All of my shots were to the right of center so I need to adjust that sight a bit.  My shoulder did start to get fatigued after 40 rounds but feels great today.  Need to figure out how to rest it on my shoulder properly.  Seemed when i did, my eye was right over the hammer...

I don't reload but was wondering if Cabela's bulk .45 LC Cowboy Ammo has any reputation here.  Good?  bad?  ok...?

Offline BlaiseNSaddles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 05:52:30 PM »
I bought the Cabela's stuff and it worked just fine. 

I am not sure what the Cabela's is from time to time or if it is always the same but the stuff I got was Winchester brass and primed.  Still have some mixed in with my reloads. 

Hang onto the brass that way you can either reload, sell it or give away to another pardner.  For me I hung onto it and quickly learned the ways of the darkside.

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 08:24:15 PM »
I have no Idea as to the price of Cabela's ammo in .45 LC because I reload but I believe that as well as the actual cost of the ammo, there is a HAZMAT charge as well as shipping. If you have a local gunshop that sells .45 LC in cowboy loads or can get it for you, it may be a good bit cheaper. Last time I priced .45 Colt factory ammo t was close to $30.00 a box of fifty! Listen Swheethart reloading is the way to go. You can get a Lee handloader set for around $25.00 and Starline Brass from (National Bullet Co. for about $17.00 for 100. as well as various bullets weights in .45 caliber I recomend 452 dia. but that's really for you to decide.) Powder you should be able to purchase locally a good, reloading manual as well as primers Lg. Pistol for .45 LC.--- Disclaimer these are just suggestions you may find another bullet Co. more to your liking I have no connection with the National Bullet Co./ Starline Brass or Lee Reloading save as that of a customer.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com