Author Topic: Cubans in the Confederacy  (Read 4532 times)

Offline Knuckles

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cubans in the Confederacy
« on: August 29, 2004, 09:20:26 PM »
Saw this book reviewed in this month's "Confederate Veteran" magazine (which I get as an SCV member).

Real interesting reading and shows the diversity of the Southern Cause for freedom for those looking to portray different personalities and personas from the WBTS.

Cubans in the Confederacy by Tucker, Phillip Thomas

The role of Cubans in the American Civil War is seldom appreciated. This work is the first to provide a close look at the often distinguished services they performed. Although Cubans are recorded in the rosters of both Union and Confederate forces, Cuban ties with the Confederacy were particularly strong, partly because Cuban patriots fighting for liberation from Spain tended to identify with the Southern cause as a revolutionary struggle. This work will focus on the biographies of three Cubans who served the Confederate army in the War Between the States. Darryl E. Brock offers a detailed portrait of Jose Agustin Quintero, who served as the South's most effective diplomat. Michel Wendell Stevens writes on Ambrosio Jose Gonzales, who rose to the rank of colonel and served some of the Confederacy's best-known generals. Finally, Richard Hall provides an intimate sketch of Loreta Janeta Velazquez, a soldier and spy for the Confederacy who infiltrated (as a double agent) the operations of Northern spymaster Lafayette C. Baker.

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Major General, VIII Corps, Commander Middle Dept.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Savior of Washington D.C.
  • Liked:
Re: Cubans in the Confederacy
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2004, 09:42:08 PM »
That's pretty interesting pard.   :)
Retired USAF, 20 years defending my beloved nation
NRA Life, SUVCW, GAF#164, AF&AM, AASR

"This is my native state.  I will not leave it to serve the South.  Down the street yonder is the old cemetery, and my father lies there going to dust.  If I fight, I tell you, it shall be for his bones." -Lew Wallace, after the 1860 election

Offline trooper

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 04:35:38 PM »
Well you learn something every day, I did not know that any Cubans had served the south in its fight against northern aggression but as a confederate from Peterborough I find a lot of my fellow brits do not know that hundreds if not thousands of british born folk did so as well I will try to find out more thanks Trooper

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:29:19 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com