Author Topic: Remington Old Army  (Read 2226 times)

Offline Snapshot

• Very Active Citizen
  • Aim Small - Miss Small
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Remington Old Army
« on: March 22, 2006, 08:24:54 AM »
When I was in Florida in January I aquierd a "Remington Old Army" made c. 1862 in a number of 6000, and mine is a late production run witch one can determine on the visible treads at the back of the barrel, and perhaps on the #12818 or it may be #2818. First I thought it was a "New Army", but I have come to learn different. It might be a civilian model or a restored military model. As the barrel and cylinder are reblued and the grip are changed. I have no clue as to when the restoring is done other than it has to be done a while ago. Perhaps early 20 Century or late 19 Century.? For information the New model Army was in production from 1863 to 1875 in a production run of 122000 samples.  So says Flaydermans... To find the difference is easy as they have different text on top of the barrel. Other than some minor differences on the cock and loading lever these two models of the well known Remington are truly alike. The two models are priced similar to.
   I am happy to have been able to liberate the old shooter from the former owner, I`ve shot it with 25grns.fffg 12grns polenta and a WD-40 soaked 457 ball. It seems to be OK. Shooting an old orignal has given me and the old hogleg new inspiration. it is starting to group descent to........! I am going to shoot it with wads under the ball next.........

Best Regards
Snapshot, Norway

Honour is like a an island, steep and without a shore.
Once you leave you can newer return.!

General Johan Von Ewald, Danish/Norwegian Army Until 1813

Offline Halfway Creek Charlie

• AKA Old Dragoon,The Gunslinger and other no so polite names...
  • Top Active Citizen
  • My Wyatte Earp Impression
  • Liked:
Re: Remington Old Army
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 08:32:09 AM »
Congratulations on your fine piece of American history. It seems that your pistol may be a transition piece, the first  Remingtons of the NMA genre had aspects of both the old and the new. either S/N would place it in early NMA productrion.
We want to see it! 

SAS-76873
NCOWS-2955
SCORRS
STORM-243
WARTHOG

Shooting History (original), Remy NMA Conversions, 1863 New Model Pocket Model C.F. Conversion, Remy Model 1889 12Ga. Coach Gun
2nd. Gen. "C" Series Colt 1851 Navies
Centennial Arms/Centaur 1860 Armies
1860 Civilian Henry 45LC (soon to be 44 Henry Flat C.F.(Uberti)
Remingon Creedmore Rolling Block 45-70 (Pedersoli)

"Cut his ears off and send them to that Marshall in Sheridan" Prentice Ritter

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Offline Snapshot

• Very Active Citizen
  • Aim Small - Miss Small
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 08:54:06 AM »
Me been a pro. Photographer that can be arranged. Just give me a few days.......
Honour is like a an island, steep and without a shore.
Once you leave you can newer return.!

General Johan Von Ewald, Danish/Norwegian Army Until 1813

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:31:04 PM »

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 02:44:07 PM »
Congratulations on the new shootin' iron. I've often thought I might want to pick up a good example. Looking forward to the pics.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com