Author Topic: Military music, most popular?  (Read 3185 times)

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Military music, most popular?
« on: March 20, 2006, 04:38:40 PM »
Sirs, Staff & Etc.,
It has been drawn to my attention by my Associate, Mr. Hill from the UPRR Coy., that a knowledgable Neighbor has put together a transitional piece of music, a medley, that covers the timeframe of the main wars from the Rev War to the Present, but he acknowledges the fact that his selections may not be of the proper sequence or the most popular in the eyes of the Military participants. He has played this in his own Pipe Band and wishes to fine tune the order and selections therein.
To wit, he requested I ask those in the know to look at his list and proffer their most perceptive suggestions to fill in the gaps, as it were. So, without further delay, here goes:
Rev War: The World turned upside down
War of 1812: Yankee Doodle
Mexican War: Green grow the Lilacs
Civil War: Aura Lee or Mine eyes have seen the glory
Indian Wars: On her sleeve she wore a Yellow ribbon
Spanish American War:?
WWI: Over there, over there (Yanks are coming)
WWII: Cassions go rolling along
Korean War: Halls of Montezuma
Cold War: Wild blue yonder
Vietnam War: ?, I can't get no satisifaction or Doo-wah, diddy-diddy, dum, diddy-doo
Present day: Proud to be an American or Red, white & blue
Please advise with any suggestions, alterations.
I remain, etc.,
'Ol Gabe,
Bvt. Capt.,
Adjt.,
Dept. of the Missouri,
GAF
c/o Dunbar Station, Iowa Territory

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Military music, most popular?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 07:59:16 PM »
Span-Am War - "There'll Be A Hot Time In The Old Town Tonight"  One account I read stated the troops were singing the tune as they advanced towards the enemy.  May have been an account of action in the Philippenes, or the Boxer Rebelion - same time frame, more or less.

The War Between that States had so many - on both sides - especially "Rally 'Round the Flag", "Lorena", and "Home Sweet Home", though the latter two were more "popular" songs, rather than military.

While I joined the Corps in 1975, most of my senior NCO's had been to "Nam, and often sang a song by Country Joe and the Fish that went:

"And it's one, two three, what're we fightin' for
Don't ask me, I don't give a d**m
Next Stop is Viet Nam.
And it's five, six seven , open up the Pearly Gates
Ain't no time to wonder why,
Whooey!  We're all gonna die!"

Most of them sang it in a sort of bitter way, and God help you if you (as a "Boot") tried to join in.  You didn't earn the right to sing it.  Don't think it translates well to pipes, anyway.  Same thing with any of those Doors songs from  "Apocalypse Now"
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 01:34:02 AM »
Howdy `Ol Gabe,

I would recommend "The girl I left behing me" for the Mexican War.  It is commemerated by a fine print for sale at the Frontier Army Museum depiciting a Company of the 1st US Dragoon Regiment departing for Santa Fe and then on to California.  It was/is the Regimental song of the Seventh Regiment of Infantry, but I'm not sure that it goes back to the War of 1812.

I believe that the popular song of the War of 1812 was "To Anachreon (sp) in Heaven", which is the music that F. Scott Key's poem was set to. ;D ;D  Catchy tune but has a range that is difficult for most voices.  Mine for sure!! :o >:( :o

Good luck on your search!

Cpt. Dr. Bob
[Whose key is OFF]
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:58:24 PM »

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 09:21:57 AM »
'Nam=Painted Black by the Rolling Stones
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Malachi Thorne

• Commander, Department of the Pacific
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 09:40:53 AM »
Good Morning, All;

I would recommend "Gary Owen" (alt: "Garyowen") for either the Civil War or the early part of the Indian Wars.

Garyowen is, after all the marching tune of the 7th Cavalry...

I have the honor to remain,

Your Obedient Servant,

Bvt. Captain Malachi Thorne
I have the honor to remain,

Your Obedient Servant,

Bvt Col. M. Thorne
Department of the Pacific

"Marine Artillery brings dignity to an otherwise vulgar brawl"

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 06:05:35 PM »
I think most of Sousa's marches were composed around the time of the Spanish-American War, after he got out of the Marines.  He wrote over 130 of them, but the more well-known are:

Washington Post March
Stars and Stripes Forever
Corchoran Cadets
El Capitan March
Semper Fidelis (a personal favorite)

Those are the ones that are still heard most, and you may recognize, if you heard them.

Another song, from the Span-Am War/Phillipine Insurrection timeframe is the one with the lines:

"D**m, D**m, the Filipino,
Lazy khakiac ladrone
Underneath the Starry Flag,
Civilize 'em with a Krag,..."

Don't know how the tune goes, and overall, it's kind of a racist song anyway - many Jingoistic songs of that time were.

Don't forget our GAF Song, "The Mistrel Boy'  !  It will play if you click on the "Heraldry" menu bar on the GAF Website frontpage.  I think that, and "Garryowen" would sound great on the pipes.

WWII? - Can't think of any "military" songs, other than Service songs.  There are the "stereotypes" like,"Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree", "White Cliffs of Dover", "Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition", "Boogie-Woogie Bugle Boy", and everyones' favorite, "Mairsy Dotes" (my dad used to sing that to me when I bounced on his knee, along with "Three Little Fishies [Twee Liddle Fitties]").

GAF #301

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 06:08:50 PM »
Oh, and yes, I do know the words to those last two songs - a verse anyway.

GAF #301

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com