Author Topic: Genisis of Field Arillery  (Read 8544 times)

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Genisis of Field Arillery
« on: February 24, 2006, 08:20:12 AM »

Found this on the website of the 15th Field Artillery:

Genesis of the Field Artillery

In the beginning, there was chaos, and the chaos was the infantry, the queen of battle. However, the queen was alone. And fear was with the infantry, so she cried out unto the Lord saying, "Lord save me for I am afraid!"

And the Lord heard her grunts and set some of the infantry on beasts of burden, and these he called the cavalry, and the cavalry became armor. And when the Lord saw what he had done, he laughed saying, "Well, you can't win them all!"

As time passed, the infantry and the armor again cried out unto the Lord saying, "Lord save us, for we are afraid." The Lord heard their cries and decided to end their weepings.

The Lord said unto them, "I shall send unto you a race of men noble in heart and spirit." And the Lord created the Field Artillery, and named them the King of Battle.

And the Lord said unto the infantry and armor, "When it is dark, the King shall light your way. And when you need smoke, there shall be smoke, and when you need it to rain down death and destruction upon the enemy, you shall have it."

And the Lord gave the King big guns and big bullets. And the infantry and armor were jealous, for they had not. And the Lord gave the artillery rockets and missiles and nukes. And when the infantry and armor saw this, they fell to their knees in awesome wonder, saying surely the Lord is on the side of the artillery, the King of Battle.

And the Lord said, "CHECK!"

And abideth infantry, armor and artillery, but the greatest of these is the artillery.

This one's for you, Books
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
Re: Genisis of Field Arillery
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 10:00:44 AM »
Guns;

That's great.  It makes me proud of my little howitzer.

Michael "Books" Tatham
Capt. 5th Kansas Battery
Acting Arty. Commander, Dept. of Missouri

Have Gun, Will Travel
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 12:14:03 PM »
As you are likely aware, the motto of both the Royal Engineers and the Royal Artillery is the Latin word "Ubique" - supposedly a reference to the fact that units of both "mega-regiments" serve whereever they are needed, throughout the British Army and Empire.

However, the Engineers assert that the motto, which in their case translates as "Everywhere", means something quite different when referring to the Artillery - more like: "All Over the Place!" ...   ;D
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:49:58 PM »

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 12:53:31 PM »
And of them all, those whose business should have been confined to the skies, had the biggest "morters".  These were so big, they could wipe out cities.  But their places were fixed, and could not move, and could be easily found by the enemy.

And Neptune, god of the sea, saw the biggest morters, with shells that could obliterate cities, and he laughed!

And he said, "Let us create smaller artillery that can be put on ships!  And these ships shall sail on and UNDER my seas.  And the shells they shoot shall be named after the North Star and after my three-pronged spear!

And it was done.  And Neptune said to those who sailed the seas and under them, and to their leaders,

"If it be necessary, let them do it with class...Los Angeles Class and Ohio Class!"
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline tarheel mac

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Number 69437 WARTHOG!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 01:48:39 PM »
First of all, I've only been in CAS city for about a year, secondly I am not a regular poster on this forum, but as an old time eleven-Bravo from 35 years ago, I ain't gonna say a word!!!

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 02:08:25 PM »
Tarheel,

You took the words out of my mouth, but I am looking for a suitable rejoiner.

Old (Infantry) Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 03:07:59 PM »
And when all is said and done, some poor mother's son, frightened out of his wits and suffering the ultimate loneliness, will still fix a bayonet to the barrel of his rifle and go down the dark and scary hole to root out and kill some other poor, frightened, and lonely mother's son to finally win the battle.

To this kid, whatever his branch of service: Semper fi!!!
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 04:00:48 PM »
Amen, Forty Rod.

I just recieved an email from my scared and confused nephew in Bagdad. 

Whether it is along the Mecong or on the Siegfried Line, anywhere in harm's way is a hell of a place to grow-up.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2006, 10:57:06 PM »
This old Marine has been a rifleman, gunner and engineer.

Most of the gunners and a lot of support personnel I saw in Iraq were being used as infantry - patroling, busting down doors, and the like.  For most this was not something they were trained to do but most of them were doing a pretty good job none the less. 

I respect them all.  Anyone who goes into harm's way to protect our values and way of life are all heroes in my book, regardless of their branch of service or MOS.

US Scout
GAF Chief of Staff

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 12:53:03 AM »
Brv't. Col. Robson,

I knew that there was a reason that I wanted to be a RE instead of RA! ::)

I have been on sick report of late and away from the Barracks too long.

The surgeon said that it was catahr [intestinal flu] and I said that it was no fun. :'(  I have pretty much regained my health. 

YMH&OS,
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline The Wizard

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 09:18:22 AM »
Do you know why the Artillery is called the "King of Battle"?  Because they put the balls right where the Queen wants them!
The Wizard - 13A5P

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 09:55:10 AM »
As an Infantryman - Airborne, Mechanized and Light - we have mottos, as well.

'To Close With and Destroy the Enemy through Fire and Maneuver'...

'Kill People and Break Things'...

'Making the World Safe for Armor - One Battlefield at a Time'...

And the list goes on.

The point of this is simple - a sense of Pride in the doing of those 'things that must be done' by those who've chosen to serve - or - in an earlier time - were helped along that path by a Letter that began with the word - 'Greetings'...

No matter - as long as the plate was stepped up to.

All other Branches and Services owe their very existence to the support of Infantry in combat - as none of those forces take and hold ground.
Taking and holding ground is what wins wars - and doing it's not a whole lot of fun.

Rergrettably, these skills will be needed until the End of Time.

Airpower's fearsome ability to create 'swimming pools',  Naval Gunfire's unholy accuracy, Aviation's willingness to get down on the deck with rockets and guns, and the the sheer nerve needed by a Transporter or a Medic to move forward under fire towards the sharp end of the bayonet with what's needed by the guys who live 'there' - are what it takes to ensure victory on a battlefield.

Next time you see a Soldier, Sailor, Airman or Marine kid home on Leave - or just the flag snapping in the breeze - stop for a moment and reflect on those who've gone before - and feel proud.

Airborne,

Out

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2006, 06:25:43 PM »
Amen!

JC Bailey, former Armored Cavalry
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Frenchie

• "We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Photo by Julio Zangroniz @ "September Storm", 2007
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2006, 12:44:53 AM »
The war is won when the first weary, footsore infantryman sits down in the town square and says, "Where are we, and when do we eat?"
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vĂȘtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2006, 05:04:42 PM »
"Bother not the Artillermen, for they are an obstinate lot."----Napoleon Bonaparte

Up until the advent of indirect fire, Artillery needed the support of infantry to keep from being over-run by a massed infantry attack.  Even with grapeshot and cannister, the infantrymans musketry was what kept the Artilleryman safe from flanking enemy infantry.

Even though they got hammered by the Russian Batteries at Balaklava, the Light Brigade managed to get to the Russian Guns.  The Confedrates also got to the Union Line at Gettysberg under the onslaught of 800 pieces of Artillery loaded with double canister.  Had it not been for the Union Infantry the Confederates might have prevailed.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com