Author Topic: Taylor's is having a closeout on .44 Russian models.  (Read 3016 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Taylor's is having a closeout on .44 Russian models.
« on: January 09, 2006, 11:58:15 AM »
Howdy to the camp.

Just got a sale flyer from Taylor's.  It says they are having a closeout sale on the 44 Russian model for $975 dealer cost.  Tammy had told me awhile ago that they may discontinue the 44 Russian model.  I believe eventuallyn they will only offer 44-40 and 56-50 models.

They also have a sale on the 56-50 carbine for $740!!!!! dealer.  Great buy.

The infantry rifle, however, runs almost $1200 dealer.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

klw

Re: Taylor's is having a closeout on .44 Russian models.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 08:28:00 PM »
I owned serial number 44 of the 44 Russian model carbine.  I don't think I could spell the words I'd like to use to describe it but I'm sure if I could the message would get deleted.  A bigger piece of junk I have never seen ever.  The last time Taylor's worked on it they sent it back inoperative.  ABSOLUTELY INOPERATIVE!!!!  (This is the cleaned up version of what I think of that gun).

Needless to say I ABSOLUTELY WOULD NOT recommend anyone buying one of these!

Now a 56-50 carbine with a lane extractor for $740, however, is an entirely different matter!

klw

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 09:30:35 PM »
OK I'm confused.

Just exactly who is offering the $740 price for a 56-50 carbine and how do I buy one?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:07:18 AM »

Offline Dakota Widowmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 11:15:42 AM »
$740 is to the dealer, who usually charges an additional 10% plus S&H.

Check to see if they will do a special deal on the 56-50...its the most reliable and "correct".

Shooting a 56-50 is alot different than 44-40. (I think its more fun...but, components are more expensive)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 11:16:53 AM »
That's dealer cost.  You would have to find a dealer in your area that would handle the transaction for a fee.  They would get it from Taylor's at that price.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Injun Ryder

• Active citizen
  • SASS #: 36201L
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 11:43:53 AM »
I've had a 44 russian for almost 2 years with a ser # very close to KLW's. Still learning some of the quirks. I did have problems in the beginning with cartridges getting jammed in the extractors but I've got the extractor issue pretty much under control now. It took some discussion with Taylor's and some tweaking of the extractors to get them positioned properly. You also want to make sure that the mechanism is kept clean and lubricated. I am still working my levering techniques. Sometimes they work, othertimes I get a jam that I can now clear quickly.

In general, I am happy and enjoy the carbine.
If it ain't life threatenin', it ain't worth worryin' about.

klw

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 03:35:07 PM »
The last time I had Taylor's work on the gun, just after Larry Romano had replace the extractors with steel ones, their gunsmith called me.  Basically he wanted to know why I had sent it back becasue, according to him, it was the best one he had yet seen.  So, I assume, that mine was better than average, at least after Larry worked on it.

Larry did say that while he could improve it he could not fix it.  That the chamber was oversized and rough.  If it had been undersized and rough he could have fixed that but, well...

Also I think that a generic problem with all these guns, even new ones, is that the metal is just soft.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com