Author Topic: SOLD and enroute to it's new home  (Read 1596 times)

Offline Story

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 21
SOLD and enroute to it's new home
« on: July 06, 2021, 10:35:54 PM »
It's pitted and scarred on the outside.
The grips are narrowed at the back for a smaller hand.
The bore is 40 miles of rough road but the rifling is present.
I replaced the hand and it functions as it should, but never got around to putting live rounds through it.
Cut for a shoulder stock, but the two mounting bolts are missing (who uses those stocks, anyway?)
Some may consider this a decorative relic, but I'd shoot it if I had the time.
Take note, Unreconstructed Rebels - this has the fluted cylinder of Colt's First Batch, most of which went South.
$225 in Yankee Dollars shipped, CONUS ONLY (I believe this can go disassembled in a USPS Medium Box)
Payment methods to be discussed.

For background reading on the Belgians, see https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=15411.0

For those of you curious as to how it got to this condition, the Colt was buried along with the body of the original owner when he fell to Yankee bullets in 62'. An unnamed friend made his way back to the site in the summer of 65', located the unmarked grave and gave the deceased rebel a proper burial. The Colt had suffered from it's time in the soil of the south, but was still functional and made it's way west with the aforementioned (and still living) comrade whose name has long been lost to the sands of time.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
Re: WTS Belgian-made Centaur Colt 1860 clone, ugly as sin
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 10:22:49 PM »
Greetings my Good Story

I see you wrote a "story" about that Belgian!
nicely done!

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 01:52:45 AM »
Centaure Cavalry Model from the early 1960s.
Would you share the serial number and the inspector mark - capital letter sideways - on the left side of barrel lug & frame and close to the ELG in oval in the cylinder.
It's for the Centaure & FROCS data bank and all the Centaure students around the globe.
Thanks & happy selling,
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline Story

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 03:23:46 AM »
Centaure Cavalry Model from the early 1960s.

I sent that info to you a couple of years back.
You've forgotten my correspondence with me!
My feelings, they are hurt.

Offline Story

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 03:24:57 AM »
I see you wrote a "story" about that Belgian! 

It's as true as any other undocumented story that's been peddled along with a gun.  :-*

Advertisers

Re: SOLD and enroute to it's new home
« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:43:28 PM »

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2021, 04:21:53 AM »
Sorry for hurting your feelings, Story,
No offence meant.
Senior moment I guess.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline Story

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 09:26:15 AM »
No offence meant.

None taken, because I was teasing.  ;)

Offline Claypipe

• Mighty Cautious
  • Top Active Citizen
  • They're not dead, till there's one in the head.
    • Medieval Gonne Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: WTS price-adjusted Belgian-made Centaur Colt 1860 clone, ugly as sin
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 02:01:12 AM »
I would like to endeavor to purchase your fine arm. Payment may be in either Nutria Rat tails which may be turned in to the Louisiana authorities for cash bounty, or United States Postal Service Script which can be exchange for Federal currency at almost any United States Postal Office Customer Service counter.
Vergiss nie heimat wo deine Wiege stand Du findest in der fremde kein zweites heimalland

Never forget home where your cradle was. You won't find a second home country in a foreign country

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 892
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2021, 12:42:55 PM »
It's pitted and scarred on the outside.
The grips are narrowed at the back for a smaller hand.
The bore is 40 miles of rough road but the rifling is present.
I replaced the hand and it functions as it should, but never got around to putting live rounds through it.
Cut for a shoulder stock, but the two mounting bolts are missing (who uses those stocks, anyway?)
Some may consider this a decorative relic, but I'd shoot it if I had the time.
Take note, Unreconstructed Rebels - this has the fluted cylinder of Colt's First Batch, most of which went South.
$225 in Yankee Dollars shipped, CONUS ONLY (I believe this can go disassembled in a USPS Medium Box)
Payment methods to be discussed.

For background reading on the Belgians, see https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=15411.0

For those of you curious as to how it got to this condition, the Colt was buried along with the body of the original owner when he fell to Yankee bullets in 62'. An unnamed friend made his way back to the site in the summer of 65', located the unmarked grave and gave the deceased rebel a proper burial. The Colt had suffered from it's time in the soil of the south, but was still functional and made it's way west with the aforementioned (and still living) comrade whose name has long been lost to the sands of time.

.....someone needs to buy this. I have one that's ugly as this.....
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892
Sgt Maj 2nd KY Vols 1812 era
Lt (ret) Rogers Rangers F&I
Booshway 2021Thundercreek Rendevous

Offline Claypipe

• Mighty Cautious
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Medieval Gonne Works
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 10:03:20 AM »
I will take this fine revolver off your hands at the agreed upon terms we discussed in our haggling PMs. USPS script is well on its way to you.
Vergiss nie heimat wo deine Wiege stand Du findest in der fremde kein zweites heimalland

Never forget home where your cradle was. You won't find a second home country in a foreign country

Advertisers

« Reply #10 on: Today at 01:43:28 PM »

Offline Claypipe

• Mighty Cautious
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Medieval Gonne Works
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2021, 02:19:34 AM »
Ahhh, Story, I receive the Belgian Pony today. Did you forget to mention something in your description? I forgot to ask, so that is on me. But I do believe that it was need to know information. You never disclose that the CYLINDER/ARBOR PIN wiggles like a dashboard hulu doll while driving down a washed out washboard dirt road.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2021, 07:20:40 AM »
Easy 15 min. fix.
Drill out staking pin in hammer slot. I usually use an 1/8" drill.
Unscrew the arbor
Upset the shoulder just ahead of the threads in several places. This will give you a "crush fit" or "interference" fit.
Torque the arbor back in place using the drilled out pin as a witness mark
When satisfied with wedge slot alignment, install barrel and wedge tight!
Last, install over-sized staking pin. Cut and file excess pin.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Story

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2021, 09:01:14 AM »
Ahhh, Story, I receive the Belgian Pony today. Did you forget to mention something in your description? I forgot to ask, so that is on me. But I do believe that it was need to know information. You never disclose that the CYLINDER/ARBOR PIN wiggles like a dashboard hulu doll while driving down a washed out washboard dirt road.

If you're going to make this issue public, feel free to post my response verbatim (written before I saw this) public as well - or we can resolve this privately.

Offline Claypipe

• Mighty Cautious
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Medieval Gonne Works
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2021, 11:20:13 AM »
I am not going to waste any more time with you. You are the seller, it falls on you to point out such defects in your listing  description. And this is a major defect. Failure to point it out was your action, not mine. I will not waste anymore time or money. Want a video, I will gladly post one in your listing. I might get burnt, but I will roast those who attempt it. I consider it a community service.

Further, you have disassembled this piece at least twice as evidenced by your photos. I fail to see how you could not notice such a major defect.

Offline Claypipe

• Mighty Cautious
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Medieval Gonne Works
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2021, 11:31:59 AM »
Easy 15 min. fix.
Drill out staking pin in hammer slot. I usually use an 1/8" drill.
Unscrew the arbor
Upset the shoulder just ahead of the threads in several places. This will give you a "crush fit" or "interference" fit.
Torque the arbor back in place using the drilled out pin as a witness mark
When satisfied with wedge slot alignment, install barrel and wedge tight!
Last, install over-sized staking pin. Cut and file excess pin.

Mike

Some bubba has already attempted to "fix" said problem by drilling and tapping the end of the arbor and using a Phillips Screw in an attempt to take out the wiggle. I do not think that the threads for the arbor are even there any longer, that is how bad the wiggle is. This comes down to either welding up the damage or adding a double threaded bushing to take up the space. I am 61, with hands on experience working on guns since I was 15. Thank you for your suggestion.

Offline Story

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2021, 11:33:38 AM »
Wedge goes in the arbor, tighten up the bolt and it functioned for me.

I'll admit to being a dumbass not noticing the wiggle. What I won't abid by is claiming I was deceitful.

FOR THE PEANUT GALLERY

In my first Private Message response -

1) I pointed out that my description of this pistol was a pejorative as I could make it, and not trying to hide any faults.

2) Had I know, I would have gleefully added ' the CYLINDER/ARBOR PIN wiggles like a dashboard hulu doll while driving down a washed out washboard dirt road.'

3) That he has my mailing address and if not satisfied, could return it.

So you folks are provided an entertainment at no extra charge.

Offline Claypipe

• Mighty Cautious
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Medieval Gonne Works
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2021, 11:52:47 AM »
And again, I am not going to waste any more time with you. You are the seller, it falls on you to point out such defects in your listing  description. And this is a major defect. Failure to point it out was your action, not mine. I will not invest anymore time or money with you. I will lick my wounds. Want a video, I will gladly post one in this listing. I might get burnt, but I will roast those who attempt it. I consider it a community service.

Further, as evidenced by your photos, you have disassembled this piece at least twice. I fail to see how you could not notice such a major defect.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, swims like a duck, should I pet it and call it Fido?

Offline Story

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2021, 12:10:53 PM »
*Shrug*

You want to make this something painful when it didn't have to be, so be it.

For the Peanut Gallery

As stated, I offered to take it back and refund when he first told me about it - a full hour before he decided to post online.

I also accepted a lower offer at his request, so he could match his Nepal Sharps.

Note that I at least knew to check the cylinder gap.

Offline Claypipe

• Mighty Cautious
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Medieval Gonne Works
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2021, 12:13:46 PM »
Wedge goes in the arbor, tighten up the bolt and it functioned for me.

I'll admit to being a dumbass not noticing the wiggle. What I won't abid [abide] by is claiming I was deceitful.

FOR THE PEANUT GALLERY

In my first Private Message response -

1) I pointed out that my description of this pistol was a pejorative [ 50cent word meant to confuse and distract from the issue at hand.] as I could make it, and not trying to hide any faults.

2) Had I know, I would have gleefully added ' the CYLINDER/ARBOR PIN wiggles like a dashboard hulu doll while driving down a washed out washboard dirt road.'

3) That he has my mailing address and if not satisfied, could return it.

So you folks are provided an entertainment at no extra charge.

pe·jo·ra·tive
/pəˈjôrədiv/
adjective
adjective: pejorative

expressing contempt or disapproval.
    "permissiveness is used almost universally as a pejorative term"

You have disassembled this piece at least twice as evidenced by your photos. I fail to see how you could not notice such a major defect.

BTW, PEANUT GALLERY is often used as a pejorative phrase. "A group of people who criticize someone, often by focusing on insignificant details." I fail to see how you can find failing to disclose a damaged arbor as  an insignificant detail.

Offline Story

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2021, 12:15:26 PM »
Pejorative, as in painting the revolver's condition in the worst light I could. Savvy?

You have disassembled this piece at least twice as evidenced by your photos. I fail to see how you could not notice such a major defect.

Already admitted to being a dumbass. At this point, I think this is more about you than the pistol.

For the Peanut Gallery
Anyone out there insulted I refer to you as such? If so, feel free to chime in below.
Because usually it's me in the Peanut Gallery watching such exchanges.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2020 CAScity.com