Author Topic: Hello Everyone...sort of back after a decade or more away  (Read 1401 times)

Offline LuckyDeuce

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hello Everyone...sort of back after a decade or more away
« on: May 03, 2021, 10:00:51 PM »
I was going through my list of websites getting rid of ones I hadn't been to or were out of date and came across CAS City.   I used to come here a lot back a decade or so when I was shooting in SASS.  I was the only NCOWS life member in the club so I got stuck shooting with "THEM"... LOL  I really miss shooting.  Old age finally did a number on me and I started having trouble with my feet and back and it got hard to be able to do the stages.  Now at 70 my lower back went tilt, got pinched nerves in spine and a cyst in spinal column and now really have trouble walking...   Not sure if there are any shooters using a walker these days... LOL
I even have been thinking of getting my wife to start shooting, she is legally blind, but can see enough to hit a target, she has to wear an eyepatch to shoot because her bad eye messes with her focus but she is deadly with my 1860 Navy Arms Henry .44-40.

Anyway just wanted to stop by the fire and see how things are going...

Offline Marshal Halloway

• Editor & Webmaster of Cas City.
  • City Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Don't squat with your spurs on. Have fun shootin'.
    • Cas City
  • SASS #: R3411
  • NCOWS #: HL-179
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
Re: Hello Everyone...sort of back after a decade or more away
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 11:23:46 PM »
Welcome back!
Editor & Webmaster of CAScity.com
Director - Digital Video Division - Outdoor Sportsman Group (OSG).
Digital Video Production & Post Production OSG
Owner of Down Range Media GP

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 07:52:43 AM »
Lucky Deuce, don't let that age thing deter you. We're all hobbling through life by now it seems, and sharing our pains can be just as important as sharing our pleasures.

Truth be known our home posse have a couple of Pards who receive extra assistance in order to safely shoot through the stages, just to keep them participating and enjoying the game. We've agreed that when the day comes that they don't feel they can shoot safely, they'll hang up their spurs.

Fortunately our club offers many social events (or at least pre-pandemic, and sure to return post-pandemic) to enjoy getting together. Trips to museums, movies or restaurants and the like.

And if you remember, NCOWS offers their annual Convention, Show and Congress meeting to attend.

Welcome back, indeed.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:20:12 AM »

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 08:07:17 AM »
Welcome and what RCJ said.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 10:47:02 AM »
LuckyDuce,

Part of your post was like reading my mail. I'm 72 with a lower spine one surgeon described as a train wreck. I have to buckle my swashes just to get up and walk across the room. And I ain't worth much when I get over there. (LOL)

I still love the guns of the Old West, particularly black powder cartridge guns. I try to get out and shoot my stuff as often as possible. Too back we don't live in the same area. We'd probably make good shooting buddies.

I just joined NCOWS to support them even though there isn't a posse in Arizona. I for one am happy to see you posting again. I bet in all your years shooting you learned a thing or two that the rest of us could do to hear. So keep posting!

Dave

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 01:59:21 PM »

:) Welcome back to the Camp LDuce  ;)

You and Dave T both sound like a rerun of ME.  I can "just" still get through a stage but then have to park and recharge my Legs and Back.  I've been told "they" can fix my back but it's 50/50 if I could walk after the "fix."  I'll pass.

I think we are all becoming ANTIQUES

Stay Safe Out There

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 02:02:03 AM »
My Good Fellow Old Pharts

don't let it get you down!

out this way there are more than a few shooters who roll up in walkers or wheelchairs even!
keep up the good fight!

Non Carborundum Illigitimi

prf mrvl
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 08:32:53 AM »
I just did turn 70. Only been doing the cowboy shooting for a few years, but it seems that each year it became increasingly difficult to make it through to the end. I always managed, but I was hurting by the end of the last match. I have vowed to do something about that, and have laid out a walking path in my big backyard. The total distance is only about 1/10 of a mile, but I keep going until I can't. I gradually worked up to doing 10 laps, and one day even made it to 15 laps, but the next day could do only 6. I'm not giving up.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 10:36:28 AM »
I'm not giving up.

Good for you and God bless!

Dave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com