Author Topic: Wanted 1876 toggles  (Read 452 times)

Offline mtcranch

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Wanted 1876 toggles
« on: February 06, 2021, 05:57:10 PM »
Have original Winchester 1876 in 45-60 and I need both toggles as I believe they are worn out. Anyone have any for sale? Also looking for cases or ammo for same caliber.
Thanks!

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
Re: Wanted 1876 toggles
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 11:03:02 PM »
Jamison made brass,  it was always expensive and I'm not sure if it's still available.  Many people cut down .45 70 brass to shoot in reproduction guns,  you might have issues with rim thickness going that route.  If the link dimensions are close enough in a reproduction gun,  maybe they could be modified to work?  Original antique guns are awesome to shoot if they are deemed to be safe,  I hope you get it going!

B.N.Scotty
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline mtcranch

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 02:03:54 PM »
Thanks, I will probably just cut down some 45-70 as I can’t find any of the Jamison brass. Appears they don’t make it anymore at least for now. Have read a lot of posts saying the toggles from a Cimmaron repro work but not the Urberti ones. But can’t seem to find either. I might try filling in the end of the toggle slides where the wear is at with JB weld then grinding back to a working spec with a Dremel tool. Got nothing to loose I guess. Thanks for the advice!

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 08:49:38 AM »
 Hey mtcranch, better get some pics. up ,, or the pic. police will show up ( lol ), would like to see pics. of your links to see where they are worn.

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Offline mtcranch

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Wanted 1876 togglese
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 08:13:43 PM »
Alright, I took a pic of the toggles in action. Hopefully it shows up here.  The rifle is levered to the maximum and you can see in the right hand upper portion the back end of the bolt is not all the way rearward. The gap shown that is “C” shaped or half circle seems to be the issue. There is nothing binding as I can push the bolt rearward with very very little effort so that that gap closes up and then the cartridge feeds on up the elevator and does not catch on the front of the bolt. All I can think is that the pins or toggles are worn enough that it does not work as it should

Advertisers

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:57:12 AM »

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 10:20:29 AM »
Have read a lot of posts saying the toggles from a Cimmaron repro work but not the Urberti ones.

Cimarron and Uberti toggles are the same, Cimarron's are made by Uberti, Cimarron being the distributor, not manufacturer. FYI.  :)

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 10:58:42 AM »
 mtcranch,, thanks for the pics.,, it appears to be your pins ,, original pins are ( were ) 5/32 ",, I believe the Uberti  are .177 ( ? ) , making them just a little bigger in dia.,, mic the holes in your toggle's and make new pins . Grizz Adams has a post on the 76 forum that shows both orig. & new Uberti links , very helpful info.  Those are nice toggles .

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Offline mtcranch

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 07:46:30 PM »
Thanks a lot King and Slamfire! I found all new pins from homestead gun parts and ordered them. I will also stay on the look out for Uberti toggles in case the pins don’t do the trick. My 98 year old grandpa gave me the gun last fall. He bought in a gun shop in Salt Lake City Utah back in 40’s for $9.00 and one shell for it for $1.00. Its a little rough mainly just the stock, but two different gun shops said it was safe to shoot. I would sure like to get it shooting. My grandpa hunted a lot but always used his Marlin 30-30 or his Savage 99 and never did shoot this 1876. Thanks again!

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 10:10:56 PM »
Very cool story about Grandpa acquiring, and then giving you the rifle! 

B.N.Scotty
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 08:43:40 AM »
Grandpa made quite a wise investment at $9. At Rock Island Auction
they average $2500-$3000. With 70,000 made they are very collectable.
I have one in 40/60.

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Advertisers

« Reply #10 on: Today at 09:57:12 AM »

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 09:53:20 AM »
You fella's be sure to trot on over to the 76 forum with pic's and stories of your rifles!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2020 CAScity.com