Author Topic: First Holster Of The New Year (After Being Hit With Covid)  (Read 1154 times)

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 695
First Holster Of The New Year (After Being Hit With Covid)
« on: January 24, 2021, 12:34:02 PM »
I have heard so many people say they hated 2020. For the most part my 2020 was pretty good. 2021 on the other hand has not gotten off so well.

Went and seen my dad and brother the day after Christmas. They live in a different state so it was nice to be able to see them right after Christmas. My brother is a paramedic. Without anyone knowing, he caught Covid right before we got there at work. We were around him for 3 days. He started feeling bad the day before we left and while we (My two sons and I) were traveling home my brother called and told me he tested positive for Covid.  :o

We came straight home and quarantined since we were exposed to it. That was December 29. Well, eventually we all ended up with covid. First my oldest son, then myself and my wife and then my youngest son. We had to quarantine for about 20 days since we all ended up with it at different times in my house.

Overall we did fairly well considering how bad it effects some people in the world.

That said, I really did not feel like doing anything. I ran a fever for 10 days straight and just felt down with no energy.

Even today, I am over a week without symptoms and just feel kinda weird with very little energy although I am getting more normal every days it seems.

I thought I would get lots of leather work done while on quarantine but it just did not play out that way.

I decided this weekend I would make myself do something so last week I ordered a new type of leather for myself (bridle leather coffee colored from Springfield Leather) and decided to make a holster for my 1851 Conversion. I wanted something simple and easy to get back in the swing of things.

I will say this....... I am not a fan of this leather. I could not get it to take stamps very well due to it being very hard to case. The water just wanted to bead up on the leather and not soak in at all. I am sure there is a trick to it but I could not get it to work. I like the color though.

I ended up with a very simple Slim Jim style crossdraw that does fit my 51 Conversion well.

I ended up trying to age it and weather it some by putting some dents and scratches in it. Not sure why I attempted this though. Wanted to try something new I guess.

Even this one wore me out physically and mentally. Hoping I get my energy back soon and my head becomes less and less foggy.

Enough rambling on. Here are a few photos.

"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Smokey Dave

• STORM #445
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 107837
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 71
Re: First Holster Of The New Year (After Being Hit With Covid)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 01:13:31 PM »
That's a fine looking holster Rube. I like it. Nicely done.

Glad you're on the mend too. I sympathize with you, as I caught it in mid December. I'm still recovering and my sense of taste and smell still aren't back yet.

Rest and take it as it comes.

Glad you and your family and okay.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 01:18:04 PM »
That's a fine looking holster Rube. I like it. Nicely done.

Glad you're on the mend too. I sympathize with you, as I caught it in mid December. I'm still recovering and my sense of taste and smell still aren't back yet.

Rest and take it as it comes.

Glad you and your family and okay.

Thank you. It’s just a strange feeling. Lack of drive to do anything is my biggest obstacle at the moment. Glad you’re on the mend also.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:06:11 PM »

Offline JOG

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 05:51:04 PM »
Time well spent sir! That is a fine looking holster!

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 07:05:10 PM »
Looks good, Rube. I like the simple double lines. Nice work. Thumbs-up!

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 07:09:53 PM »
Thank y’all.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 11:37:02 AM »
First of all I'm glad to hear you are OK and on the mend. My son-in-law got the Covid playing Hockey. My son is a pilot and was exposed to it. My wife lost a dear friend to it. Today we received our first Covid Vaccine shot.

Your latest Slim Jim is my style of Holster., simple but elegant. You do beautiful work.

Stay well & safe.

You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 01:17:35 PM »
Thank you. When I wear a belt and holster I usually like somewhat of a plain style holster also.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com