Author Topic: Serial numbers to look up please.  (Read 868 times)

Offline AKLR

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Serial numbers to look up please.
« on: November 24, 2020, 12:50:28 AM »
Hi Two Flints,

Any information you might have would be great appreciated.

Spencer repeating rifle, SN:23303.

Thank you,
AKLR

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Serial numbers to look up please.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 07:57:20 AM »
Hi AKLR,

Really difficult to make a "guestimate" on your Spencer Rifle serial # 23303.  It MAY have been issued to Company G, 105th Penna Volunteer Infantry in 1865 (no day or month listed).

The Spencer Rifles issued to this unit started with serial # 22497 and go up to # 23748, but the serial #s are scattered and not consecutive . . . so maybe, your Spencer Rifle was issued to the above named unit.  Just a "guestimate" on my part.

HOWEVER, TO MUDDY THE WATERS,  I own a Spencer Rifle with the serial # 23372 and my rifle is in the Massachusetts contract SN range (22-24,000 and 28,000) of those rifles purchased by the State of Massachusetts.  Many Spencer Rifles, like mine,  were not delivered to the Federal Ordinance Department for issue to Union troops, but went to state governments like Massachusetts and Governor Andrew.

My Spencer Rifle, serial # is 23372 and I “guestimate” that my rifle was issued to a member of the 37th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry Regiment on July 15, 1864 or maybe the Penna unit, like yours?

Please read my Spencer Serial # Disclaimer on the SSS Home Page.  Hope this helps.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk